sqft pricing | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

sqft pricing

Eddie clean

Dec 13, 2019
Real Name
Eddie gorman
whats everyone charging per SQFT for residential and commercial carpet cleaning. Also for residential upholstery cleaning

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
5 cents a square foot
I know this is meant to be sarcastic but nothing surprises me anymore. There's a "company" in my area right now advertising residential - $125 up to 3500SF of carpet. Yes 3500. Includes agitation, spot treatment, and deo. I don't get it.

Although 3500 SF of carpet is highly unlikely in pretty much any home.. Still. If someone did take them up on that it'd be less than $0.04 per sf

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
Everyone is going to be different depending on location, over head, profit margin, need..... I charge .30-.40 cents for most jobs but I do it part time and don’t rely on the money. I don’t feel like working for too cheap and I don’t need a whole lot because all my equipment is paid off and only have insurance, gas, chemicals and a small amount of up keep to what I have. If I quote a job and they say “ my last guy did it for x amount of dollars “ I politely tell them to call them instead of me. When I was in another area and was full time I would take some jobs for really cheap to keep the cash flow coming in when I didn’t have any work.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I charge per room or area with a size limit of 200 sq ft. Given the fact that most rooms I clean are smaller than 200 sq. ft. I’m averaging .30 - .40 a square foot on residential carpet.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter how much others are charging, you need to know your cost of doing business and how much you need to charge to turn a profit that can support you. You can’t go off what others are charging, here’s some examples why:

Do you have a van and truckmount payment you have to make every month or is your equipment paid for?

Do you have office or shop rent to pay or are you working from home?

Are you working as a solo owner operator or do you have employees?

Where do you live? There’s a big difference between the cost of living in Los Angeles where @Johnny Bravo lives compared to rural Nevada where I live. Due to this Johnny can (or should) be charging more than I do. Your service area will play a factor into what you can and need to charge for your service.

There are other factors you will run into as well.

What ever you do, don’t try to compete with the lowball cleaners in your area. Chances are they are bait & switch operators anyway that typically make 3x what you do on any job because they scam their customers.

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
I charge per room or area with a size limit of 200 sq ft. Given the fact that most rooms I clean are smaller than 200 sq. ft. I’m averaging .30 - .40 a square foot on residential carpet.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter how much others are charging, you need to know your cost of doing business and how much you need to charge to turn a profit that can support you. You can’t go off what others are charging, here’s some examples why:

Do you have a van and truckmount payment you have to make every month or is your equipment paid for?

Where do you live? There’s a big difference between the cost of living in Los Angeles where @Johnny Bravo lives compared to rural Nevada where I live. Due to this Johnny can (or should) be charging more than I do. Your service area will play a factor into what you can and need to charge for your service.

What ever you do, don’t try to compete with the lowball cleaners in your area. Chances are they are bait & switch operators anyway that typically make 3x what you do on any job because they scam their customers.
I would love to charge this way because I lose some jobs that call in just because they want a price and I can only give them a ball park but it ain’t worth it for me to drive out and give a firm price. I just haven’t found the way to present by the room price or by the room pricing that works for me.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
charge by the room...it is easier on everyone.....
I use that for a plan and just give them a overall price...
if they want me to brek it down i will.....

also I have them send the House address......and the overall sq. foot of the house.......

Sometime they will send me a pic of the rooms.....

it is easier to figure out how long it will take....
Remember you work by the hour not the foot.....

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
whats everyone charging per SQFT for residential and commercial carpet cleaning. Also for residential upholstery cleaning
just like any other question (what is your favorite prespray, protector, truckmount, etc) your going to get a very wide range of answers. So my question to you is, How is that going to help you?

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr

Wisdom is speaking here!!!

Make a concerted effort to evaluate your operating costs for YOUR business plan- and base your prices off of that.

But —- do be open minded to the possibility- that some of these older life-timers have learned some operating costs that us newer ones have het to experience....

In our beginning janitorial days- (just starting out- I thought 25.00 hr for office cleaning/house cleaning was killer-(Nope) VERY QUICKLY i learned the true cost of business- taxes, expenses, vehicle maintenance and replacement, equipment maintenance and replacement, accounting, book keeping, chasing unpaid invoices, employee taxes and related costs, insurance, dear lord___

And thats just office and housekeeping,

Carpet cleaning has higher expenditures- certifications, more costly equipment—-higher insurance, much more costly maintenance- geesh......

But—-
I do feel- that if we all made the concerted effort to rate our prices somewhat free of comparison to the neighbor company- it does help keep the greedy in check...

Just dont be too quick to judge that higher price when we see it... :)

Feb 28, 2020
Real Name
Cody Watson
Loving this forum! I have owned a residential maid service business for almost 3 years and have turned down 100's of carpet cleaning jobs. We are finally starting the carpet cleaning arm of our company. Pricing is the biggest part. We are in the middle of doing our market research with our top 5 competitors. I know every market is different but is anyone willing to to provide what they charge per room? I believe that is the easiest way to charge? Also, do you have "hidden" fees for waste disposal, etc. like I have seen some companies do? Is that standard?

Feb 28, 2020
Real Name
Cody Watson
Wisdom is speaking here!!!

Make a concerted effort to evaluate your operating costs for YOUR business plan- and base your prices off of that.

But —- do be open minded to the possibility- that some of these older life-timers have learned some operating costs that us newer ones have het to experience....

In our beginning janitorial days- (just starting out- I thought 25.00 hr for office cleaning/house cleaning was killer-(Nope) VERY QUICKLY i learned the true cost of business- taxes, expenses, vehicle maintenance and replacement, equipment maintenance and replacement, accounting, book keeping, chasing unpaid invoices, employee taxes and related costs, insurance, dear lord___

And thats just office and housekeeping,

Carpet cleaning has higher expenditures- certifications, more costly equipment—-higher insurance, much more costly maintenance- geesh......

But—-
I do feel- that if we all made the concerted effort to rate our prices somewhat free of comparison to the neighbor company- it does help keep the greedy in check...

Just dont be too quick to judge that higher price when we see it... :)

I totally agree. Our maid service charges $89/hr and we have been in business for almost 3 years. We are one of the highest in our area and routinely run 60k/mo in revenue. As I mentioned in a previous post, we are just starting our carpet cleaning arm of our company. I am working on a pricing model for this and am here looking for all your advice.
There is so much business for us all I love that we can share openly. We have open lines of communication with 4 other maid services in our area for just this reason. If you build up your competition (or industry) and dont speak bad about them, it better for everyone!

Thanks everyone! If anyone is willing to share their pricing model here or privately please let me know. you can reach me at cody@youvegotmaids.com

Thanks all!

Feb 28, 2020
Real Name
Cody Watson
You have to know what your competitors are doing, for better or for worse. Not sure I mentioned this in this post but asking for pricing models isn't necessarily about being the lowest (which most think). We already run the highest rate/hr. housekeeping business in the area. I was just curious what other folks are charging as a jumping off point. I'm glad I continued to fascinate you :)