Sq. Ft. Vs. Flat Rate | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Sq. Ft. Vs. Flat Rate

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
When I was established company in Central Valley California I charged by the sq ft and never had a problem. In fact it seemed rare for someone to even ask me my price. I would just show up measure get the ok from the home owner and get to work. Perhaps I was in a smaller town and less competition?
But I sold out moved and started part time in SoCal and have struggled with sq ft pricing. I get a lot of calls that people want a quote and around here it's not worth driving out to a house and most just want the price over the phone. So that being said I am very interested in hearing all the pros and cons on this thread in regards to pricing.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
When I was established company in Central Valley California I charged by the sq ft and never had a problem. In fact it seemed rare for someone to even ask me my price. I would just show up measure get the ok from the home owner and get to work. Perhaps I was in a smaller town and less competition?
But I sold out moved and started part time in SoCal and have struggled with sq ft pricing. I get a lot of calls that people want a quote and around here it's not worth driving out to a house and most just want the price over the phone. So that being said I am very interested in hearing all the pros and cons on this thread in regards to pricing.
I would avoid doing estimates...
Generally speaking, someone who needs a written estimate on a residential job is far too occupied with price for it to be a good fit for a company that charges premium rates.

I try to give a best and worst case scenario over the phone.
I'm never afraid to lose a client over price.
Best reason to lose someone IMO

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
Some people won't even want a FREE YEA FREE Estimate even if you tell them. They still want the price over the phone to many companies in Orlando just go the cheap way out and say yea I'll do it for $75 on a 4 bedroom apartment but when it comes to a house of 2500 square feet that only have 4 rooms but are much larger then you loosing out charging $75 cause the setup and breakdown will take lots of time especially if you are using floor covering and wall guards and doing other things on top of just your basic clean.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

Reactions: M4sT3R T3CH

Quentin White

Feb 26, 2013
Real Name
Quentin White
Like we have all heard a bunch of times, the customer only knows how to ask for the price. To a lot of people they have only had really crappy low price carpet cleaners because that all they know. When we are all the same in there minds of course they will take the cheap guy. You have to do a little education on the phone as why your job is worth twice what sleazy slimeball is charging and you can most of the time if you work hard enough. The ones that don't believe you will go for Mr. Slimeball and you cant convince them differently. No person wants a crappy cleaning job, but that is the only standard they have seem.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
There are in most cases 2 kind of customers, the one:
1- looking for cheap price
2- looking for quality
Just make sure where do you want to aim your business and forget the rest.

Out there in the real world there are CC charging $65 a room and $15 a room both of them never going to agree to each other.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
There are in most cases 2 kind of customers, the one:
1- looking for cheap price
2- looking for quality
Just make sure where do you want to aim your business and forget the rest.

Out there in the real world there are CC charging $65 a room and $15 a room both of them never going to agree to each other.

Pretty good video.
Not my favorite but it's better than 95% out there.
Good job

Reactions: RafaelDavid

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
Where to start? I've been cleaning carpets for a long time and worked for companies that did flat price but never detailed to the clean. Meaning pre vacuum and so forth. Just spray and clean. I started 8 months ago and started with the flat rates at $50 a room. Now I do sq. footage and it seems to get harder as customers want a price on the fly. What can I tell customers to be assure they will get a great service? It seems hard at times cause not many want to hear that.

Our minimum is 125.00 regardless. 2 rooms is 165.00 and three is 195.00 with a hall would be 215.00 and that is for 150 sq ft and under.

Reactions: LightningCarpetCare

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
It all starts from the phone call. We ask a series of ?'s so we can price accordingly . Those price are for pre treat, and moving of couches and tables along with of course cleaning.
It was a risk on price I was willing to take. I have no kids or wife, anymore , haha. It was a shake of the dice and going for it. But I know not everyone can do that.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I do flat fee of $450.00 per house. It's easy and people know what there paying. I don't do just one bed room or one set of stairs. Am I losing business yes for sure but I don't need more. I find it quite interesting that I don't get as much flack on my flat price as you'd think. I wonder if I was doing the one bedroom would I make more or just run more.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I do flat fee of $450.00 per house. It's easy and people know what there paying. I don't do just one bed room or one set of stairs. Am I losing business yes for sure but I don't need more. I find it quite interesting that I don't get as much flack on my flat price as you'd think. I wonder if I was doing the one bedroom would I make more or just run more.

$450 flat fee for just carpet?

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Almost 35 years and I have never done room pricing. I tell the custy to guess at the room size and I'll give them a price over the phone. "we'll measure when we get there and lock in the price". 98% of my custys are good with that. Pick your market and groom your customers. :)

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Where to start? I've been cleaning carpets for a long time and worked for companies that did flat price but never detailed to the clean. Meaning pre vacuum and so forth. Just spray and clean. I started 8 months ago and started with the flat rates at $50 a room. Now I do sq. footage and it seems to get harder as customers want a price on the fly. What can I tell customers to be assure they will get a great service? It seems hard at times cause not many want to hear that.

Do you charge a flat rate for a set of stairs or for each individual stair?

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I charge per room for carpets but by the sf for tile and grout, I have considered doing sf pricing for carpet as well. One thing that has stopped me from switching to sf pricing for carpet is how difficult it is to get people to agree to setting up a free estimate for the tile.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Flat fee for carpet in residential of $450.00. Sq' price for commercial on both carpet and VCT $0.50-$0.65 for stripping. Carpeted commercial stairs $7.50/ per step