Sometimes you have to walk | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Sometimes you have to walk

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
With the passing of Charlie, my patience has been quite short, on a good note I have so many wonderful customers.
It's been tough
I run into this lady this morning whole house empty she keeps talking about how the carpet is new, well it's 5 years old so it's not new and how expensive it is.
I quoted a price of around 300 dollars to clean all the carpet WHAT 300 DOLLARS ( remember she is renting the house out for 1900 dollars a month ) and the carpet is new
She said I don't need all the carpet cleaned
from room to room I only need these spots in this room
only 5 sq feet in this room on and on and her calculation
I am only going to be cleaning around 250 sq feet
What is your price now how much can you clean for the lowest price.
I just looked at her and said nothing I am walking down the stairs she is behind me well how much?
I just nicely sorry but I am not doing any cleaning for you.
comes down to it she wants to pay 50 dollars for 250 sq feet.
so I said goodbye in Chinese
OK I pay you 65 dollars
Have a nice day ma'am

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: Fedri and SRD

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That's where a minimum price comes in handy. Weeds out some of the skinflints and keeps you from wasting your valuable time. I have a local minimum as well as a higher minimum when I have to travel to surrounding cities or way out in the boondocks. Sometimes I get asked to go pretty far out for pretty small jobs. I just did 2 average-sized rugs the other day. I spent more time driving than I did on the job. I got what I felt it was worth though and she was happy with the job so win, win!

I would've walked too btw, but if I go lower than my minimum it's either because I'm feeling charitable or I'm doing a good customer a favor to say thank you for all the work they've given me over the years. Occasionally I'll cut a good customer some slack on a really small job and may go less than my minimum.

Reactions: Dream Clean

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I'm sorry for your loss brother, i lost my great dane Boss about 2 years ago not ashamed to admit it i cried like a 3 year old.

• Love
Reactions: Odin and MikeGaure

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Charlie looked like a good ol dog. Sorry as well, losing one of my babies is always tough. Got an old beagle who I can't imagine being with us another year.

I hate those customers; agreed about a minimum pricing over the phone.

• Love
Reactions: Odin

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
@ACP

Bjorn knows what devils these lil jerks are LOL

Especially with them being weaned they’re absolutely insane!

They’re escaping their enclosures just like their parents do. My kids name one El chapo

• Haha
Reactions: SRD and ACP

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
@ACP

Bjorn knows what devils these lil jerks are LOL

Especially with them being weaned they’re absolutely insane!

They’re escaping their enclosures just like their parents do. My kids name one El chapo
The best and the craziest for sure. They require a lot but the most rewarding breed if you put in the work.

I was at home depot checking out that ryobi power brush tool someone posted here, seeing how stiff the brushes were with my hand.

Had to go back to HD 2 days later to grab something, had one of my Mals with me.. went down the same aisle and he dragged me to the ryobi tool and stuffed his nose in the brush.

He picked up my scent from 2 days earlier, from 50ft away in a store where thousands of people pass through

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
That's where a minimum price comes in handy. Weeds out some of the skinflints and keeps you from wasting your valuable time. I have a local minimum as well as a higher minimum when I have to travel to surrounding cities or way out in the boondocks. Sometimes I get asked to go pretty far out for pretty small jobs. I just did 2 average-sized rugs the other day. I spent more time driving than I did on the job. I got what I felt it was worth though and she was happy with the job so win, win!

I would've walked too btw, but if I go lower than my minimum it's either because I'm feeling charitable or I'm doing a good customer a favor to say thank you for all the work they've given me over the years. Occasionally I'll cut a good customer some slack on a really small job and may go less than my minimum.
We had these talks
( about feeling charitable) many times in the past. I feel that I have to categorize customers in order to justify charging less, chargin' more&chargin' outrageously high.
" Pick - choose your customers ", you say. Am I hearing right?
Well, I get calls from middle class custys telling me " your reviews are so wonderful "
When you hear that, you think you can stand your ground and don't budge on price, at least you like to think so..
In last few weeks I got calls from gated area customers, wall to wall carpet is expected and price point is given and accepted.
And there is once a year job for customer with Emmy, Oscar and few more awards and you know you're getting paid close to a 2 K for less than 3 hours job.
And yet yesterday, I waited for customer over 40 minutes, because she went to withdraw the money from ATM. I waited, waited and then finally left, letting her kow that courtesy wait is about 15-20 minutes. I'm going back tomorrow charging $50 on top of the agreed price.
I do lot of work for veterans and when I do , getting paid is secondary on my list, we talk about climbing ropes , running in full winter gear in 100° temperatures &singing while wearing chemical mask...
We always part in friendly atmosphere even though we were trained on opposite sides of Atlantic ocean. And that's what counts, big time !!!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
The best and the craziest for sure. They require a lot but the most rewarding breed if you put in the work.

I was at home depot checking out that ryobi power brush tool someone posted here, seeing how stiff the brushes were with my hand.

Had to go back to HD 2 days later to grab something, had one of my Mals with me.. went down the same aisle and he dragged me to the ryobi tool and stuffed his nose in the brush.

He picked up my scent from 2 days earlier, from 50ft away in a store where thousands of people pass through
That’s awesome. I’m keeping two for sure struggling with a third!

Two males I really want and there’s a female that’s absolutely gold. Her posture, confidence, aggression and prey are all amazing

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Malinois are definitely alpha dogs for sure, friend of mines brother trains them for the military and police says their 200% go at all times

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Malinois are definitely alpha dogs for sure, friend of mines brother trains them for the military and police says their 200% go at all times
Yup all gas no brakes. I've worked several PD dogs at our club, the guy who runs our club breeds Mals and Dutchies tons of his dogs are current police, private military and DOD.

I'll probably get a dutchie next just because their off switch is better when its time to chill and watch TV. My 2 Mals are titled in police dog sport

Reactions: MikeGaure and SRD

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Yup all gas no brakes. I've worked several PD dogs at our club, the guy who runs our club breeds Mals and Dutchies tons of his dogs are current police, private military and DOD.

I'll probably get a dutchie next just because their off switch is better when its time to chill and watch TV. My 2 Mals are titled in police dog sport
Dutch look amazing

But I like the random Malinois jerks lol

I’ve never had more clever dogs

Reactions: ACP

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
With the passing of Charlie, my patience has been quite short, on a good note I have so many wonderful customers.
It's been tough
I run into this lady this morning whole house empty she keeps talking about how the carpet is new, well it's 5 years old so it's not new and how expensive it is.
I quoted a price of around 300 dollars to clean all the carpet WHAT 300 DOLLARS ( remember she is renting the house out for 1900 dollars a month ) and the carpet is new
She said I don't need all the carpet cleaned
from room to room I only need these spots in this room
only 5 sq feet in this room on and on and her calculation
I am only going to be cleaning around 250 sq feet
What is your price now how much can you clean for the lowest price.
I just looked at her and said nothing I am walking down the stairs she is behind me well how much?
I just nicely sorry but I am not doing any cleaning for you.
comes down to it she wants to pay 50 dollars for 250 sq feet.
so I said goodbye in Chinese
OK I pay you 65 dollars
Have a nice day ma'am

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Man I got no patients to these type of customers either, I would just walk out as well and block their numbers too.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I don't back off pricing, I love the Indians who are ALWAYS pushing you for a lower price, even in the middle of a job.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yeah I don't back off pricing, I love the Indians who are ALWAYS pushing you for a lower price, even in the middle of a job.
I know at the end of the job the guy says any discount for a repeat customer, well we have agreed on a price don't push it. The price is set can't do anything.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well I know in their culture cleaners are like the lowest of the caste system