Some Time Less vaccum is better option. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Some Time Less vaccum is better option.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
It is good reading!

Back in them days, it was more info them most anyone eles talked about...

Most 2" hose will handle 300 cfm of airflow well at 12HG
(164" WL) before these losses get too great.
But since vacuum hose losses about 25" WL/100 ft; it is wise to limit the length that you use.
Since in residential cleaning only 100 ft or so is needed, this is not a problem.
The 10' whip hose that is often used with the 2" hose to fit on to the 1.5" tubed wand is likewise not too restrictive as it will allow up to 250 cfm of air flow thru when used at this length.
Isn’t cfm that is lost in the hose? Not so much water lift.

Reactions: CCWorks

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Kens words go back nearly 20 years. He was presenting manufactures peak specs on different blowers. However most don’t run at the listed speed so the reality the cfm numbers are off.
Ken was a very knowledgeable guy and a glide pioneer. Chemdry took his product and patented it for themselves. Chemdry gave up their fraudulent patent just before our trial began. Kens a good guy.

Best reply of the year.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
NO ONE ON THIS BOARD believes this 200 cfm limit through a wand stuff...
At least no one who is out in the field using these...
I personally have used 36 blowers 45, 47 with engines from 18hp-35hp...
I have hooked 2 TM up together
hooked a TM with a portable to add 300 cfm......
hooked 2 portables together.....=600 cfm

you could get 1000 cfm and still increase dry times

I like what your saying. Any way to measure it more accurately?

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
Operating lift is lost over distance even if full occlusion still shows higher lift (but still not what the gauge at the machine reads).
Vacuum is similar to a pressure system. Psi = lift
Flow = cfm. The longer the run the lower the flow. The psi or lift remains fairly constant. The longer the hose the more resistance to the flow. The orifice at the end of the hose will become larger in relation to the flow and than the psi drops. If the orifice is closed completely the psi remains relatively constant.

Reactions: ACP

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
heres the video...
larry cobb measures inches of vacuum lost on a 500' hose run....
says it is about 1" per 50'.....

That's exactly what happens, vac connections that don't leak stave off the loss, but distance is distance.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
heres the video...
larry cobb measures inches of vacuum lost on a 500' hose run....
says it is about 1" per 50'.....

Practically no loss . In a 200’ run, 4” of lift is lost. Now measure the cfm over a 200’ hose run.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
CFM IS all across the board...
One guy can measure 300 cfm another guy can measure 200 cfm on the same machine...
whether portable or TM....

best to go with FIELD TESTING

This is a projection of running both a
45 blower and 27hp
47 blower and 33-35hp
over 8-10 years of hose runs 100-350'

You will lose about 50 CFM for every 50' hose run...same for portable and TM.

I go by the 1/2 CFM rule..
take your CFM cut it in half and that will give you the maximum length of hose to run wo a mojor dropoff.
200 cfm = 100' hose run
400 CFM = 200' hose run

Last edited:

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
What poop looks like?
Normal poop is brown and has a soft to firm consistency. Normal poop is generally: ... Soft to firm in texture: Poop that is passed in one single piece or a few smaller pieces is typically considered to be a sign of a healthy bowel. The long, sausage-like shape of poop is due to the shape of the intestines.

• Haha
Reactions: CCWorks

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
CFM IS all across the board...
One guy can measure 300 cfm another guy can measure 200 cfm on the same machine...
whether portable or TM....

best to go with FIELD TESTING

This is a projection of running both a
45 blower and 27hp
47 blower and 33-35hp
over 8-10 years of hose runs 100-350'

You will lose about 50 CFM for every 50' hose run...same for portable and TM.

I go by the 1/2 CFM rule..
take your CFM cut it in half and that will give you the maximum length of hose to run wo a mojor dropoff.
200 cfm = 100' hose run
400 CFM = 200' hose run
I agree it’s hard to measure cfm as most do not have the proper equipment. However using your formula which I don’t dispute it’s becomes obvious that in a hose run the big loser is cfm not water lift. That one reason in our Escape ETM we have a 2.5” inlet fitting so if they desire the operator can run a long hose run with a minimum lost of cfm. Using 1.5” hose on a porty diminish the length of hose that can be run effectively.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
The dumb thing I had at a previous company was being required to run 500 ft of hose through a retirement center off a Sapphire 1200 with a 50ft 1.5inch whip and use a 1.5 inch wand.

Water would literally fall out of the wand back onto the carpet. Got fired because I started going through different doors for shorter hose runs lol

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
here is the real problem anyone can manipulate numbers and tests to their advantage.

Reactions: ACP

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I agree it’s hard to measure cfm as most do not have the proper equipment. However using your formula which I don’t dispute it’s becomes obvious that in a hose run the big loser is cfm not water lift. That one reason in our Escape ETM we have a 2.5” inlet fitting so if they desire the operator can run a long hose run with a minimum lost of cfm. Using 1.5” hose on a porty diminish the length of hose that can be run effectively.

"2.5” inlet fitting so if they desire the operator can run a long hose run with a minimum lost of cfm." Really????

The reason I used it was to lower the slot velocity incoming to the tank which is important for small waste tanks.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
"2.5” inlet fitting so if they desire the operator can run a long hose run with a minimum lost of cfm." Really????

The reason I used it was to lower the slot velocity incoming to the tank which is important for small waste tanks.
Yes if you run 50’ of 2.5” than your 150’ of 2” there is less restriction and so cfm levels are not compromised as much. Like sipping through a slupee straw compared to a bar straw.

Last edited:

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
01877AEA-E60B-40D6-B129-8C06CA37991A.jpeg

Reactions: Calgary Hog