Solution hose size | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Solution hose size

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Oy vey! 1/4" has been the standard since 1776. worry more about chemistry and agitation...get those two pieces of the pie down-pat and go get that money.
I've got chems down, its causing undue wear to the most expensive part of my unit, the pump, that is my big concern. Which after some more research it seems the longer run of the 1/4 " will cause more wear on the pump and motor than the 3/8" and if it means even just $50 less in annual maintenance then its worth it to me. Last year sucked with breakdowns I don't want to feel like all m profits are going into fixing equipment again. The dilution rate of chems i the metering system is also going to be way off with the 1/4" line.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Oy vey! 1/4" has been the standard since 1776. worry more about chemistry and agitation...get those two pieces of the pie down-pat and go get that money.
I've got chems down, its causing undue wear to the most expensive part of my unit, the pump, that is my big concern. Which after some more research it seems the longer run of the 1/4 " will cause more wear on the pump and motor than the 3/8" and if it means even just $50 less in annual maintenance then its worth it to me. Last year sucked with breakdowns I don't want to feel like all m profits are going into fixing equipment again. The dilution rate of chems i the metering system is also going to be way off with the 1/4" line.
I just think we overthink so much in this industry. I used to also...now i just do the basics to the fullest...and don't sweat the rest.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I just think we overthink so much in this industry. I used to also...now i just do the basics to the fullest...and don't sweat the rest.
That we do, and I'm as guilty as anyone. Although, with solution hose size, I found some charts the other day that showed I'm losing about 50 psi and about .25 gpm with the 1/4" hose. With the trigger gun that's still plenty to rinse but if I want to throw my tile wand on there, even running at peak performance that machine is below specs for the tile wand but manageable, losing 1/4 of the flow rate though, that could make a big difference. I'll see if I can find the chart again.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I beleive he's talking about this type
http://www.pressureparts.com/8-707-144-0

instead of the shut off kind we normally use, which add restriction to flow. I prefer the straight through ones for that reason. I have installed ball valves to shut off flow at the end where I connect the wand or gun in case I need to disconnect while working.
You need ball valve in both cases, unless you want to walk forth and back, right ?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Imagine to have a 300' of 3/8" solution hose around.......

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Another reason i use 3/8" for my porty. The harder you make the pump work on a porty the more amp draw and heat as well, not even to mention maintenance.

That we do, and I'm as guilty as anyone. Although, with solution hose size, I found some charts the other day that showed I'm losing about 50 psi and about .25 gpm with the 1/4" hose. With the trigger gun that's still plenty to rinse but if I want to throw my tile wand on there, even running at peak performance that machine is below specs for the tile wand but manageable, losing 1/4 of the flow rate though, that could make a big difference. I'll see if I can find the chart again.
The charts show the difference and its more than people may think when using a porty. Doing a simple bucket test further shows you the difference as well. ;)

Imagine to have a 300' of 3/8" solution hose around.......
We are mainly talking portable use here, lets hope most people using a portable arent using a 300ft hose run.
I usually use anywhere between 25ft and 50ft. 3/8" solution hose at that length is no big deal at all.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Another reason i use 3/8" for my porty. The harder you make the pump work on a porty the more amp draw and heat as well, not even to mention maintenance.

The charts show the difference and its more than people may think when using a porty. Doing a simple bucket test further shows you the difference as well. ;)

We are mainly talking portable use here, lets hope most people using a portable arent using a 300ft hose run.
I usually use anywhere between 25ft and 50ft. 3/8" solution hose at that length is no big deal at all.
Thats what was biting me all of last year, little things like the wrong sized squeegee and blades that actually restricted more of the airflow caused the motor to go out faster than it should have on an auto scrubber. That was $150 I shouldn't have had to spend, plus another $300 to get the correct squeegee bar set up on it.

I'm curious too to do a bucket test. The chart I looked at I'm sure was made testing pressure washers which run a different type of pump than what our portables use. I'm thinking with the pump I have the loss of flow rate with the smaller hose will be even greater.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Thats what was biting me all of last year, little things like the wrong sized squeegee and blades that actually restricted more of the airflow caused the motor to go out faster than it should have on an auto scrubber. That was $150 I shouldn't have had to spend, plus another $300 to get the correct squeegee bar set up on it.

I'm curious too to do a bucket test. The chart I looked at I'm sure was made testing pressure washers which run a different type of pump than what our portables use. I'm thinking with the pump I have the loss of flow rate with the smaller hose will be even greater.
These little things that you are describing are exactly right. Do the products we buy work as advertised, yes. Do they work as efficient or with longevity like "we" think they should... No. Many of the things we buy in our industry are "underengineered" on purpose. We are habitual customers that don't usually complain to loud... We just are supposed to accept it and move on. Kinda like Windows used to be, the BSOD became acceptable somehow!?

Like the old saying goes "If only I knew 25 years ago what I know now".

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Thought I'd check back in on this one. I finally did a side by side comparison of 50' 3/8" hose and 1/4" hose (I borrowed 50' of 1/4" to give a better comparison since the original hose was only 25').

500psi pump at 1gpm, both hoses run with nothing attached to impede the flow.

- 3/8" hose filled a 1 gallon bucket (to the fill line) in 63 seconds
- 1/4" hose filled a 1 gallon bucket (to the fill line) in 72 seconds.

Spray gun with variable pressure nozzle set to high pressure, 0 degree spray pattern, #3 orfice.

- 3/8" hose filled 1 gallon bucket in 69 seconds
- 1/4" hose filled 1 gallon bucket in 81 seconds

with spray nozzle set to fan pattern (about 40 degree fan) the 3/8 had noticeably more pressure than the 1/4" hose when passing a hand through the spray about 12 inches from the nozzle.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Thats good for you to know now about your equipment. I found the reason for the better pressure with the 3/8 hose is that it acts like a bladder tank. It holds more liquid and retains the consistent high pressure better. With my low pressure pump portable, my flow is better if I just use the last section to the wand of larger diameter large hose after the ¼" Neptune.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Just get another 16-18 ft set of 1/4" and vac.

I'd be thinking shorter runs doing commercial and bathrooms with a porty, not longer.

It's enough of a battle as it is without 50 ft of hose.

You could always combo both 1/4 sets for 40+ feet if you wanted to.

Smaller sets are easier to manage too.
I carry a set of 25 ft vac and solution 1/4 hose for small jobs that I don't want to fight my 65ft hoses on.