Solution hose size | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Solution hose size

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I don't what you guys are talking about loosing pressure or water flow using 1/4 long hose runs. I have a 100 ft of 1/4 hose and I use it sometimes with a porty pump 400 psi or the water otter 500psi and I don't see any difference when I use to have 160ft when comparing both, however I do notice the heat is higher with a shorter hose then a longer hose. Just use 1/4 50ft or 100ft what ever, it will do the job great ;)
The size of the hose will affect the flow rate no doubt, especially over distance.
Portables are more affected by this than truckmounts however.
This is due to the fact that truckmounts use postitive displacement pumps (think triple plunger cat, general etc) and have higher flow capablities then the much different type of pumps that a portable uses usually with a lower rate flow as well.
I use 3/8 hose with my portys and use stainless straight thru flow QDs to boot too and have really nice flow.
Interesting never noticed anything like that between a 25ft and 160 ft. I guess it is so small of a thing for it to be noticed.

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
If you go to cat pumps site, find the friction loss hose chart. You will be very surprised at the amount of pressure loss in say 150 ft. of 1/4 versus 3/8 hose at say 500 psi. It is quite significant. In excess of 150 + psi loss at the point of the wand connection if my memory serves be correctly. Just something to think about if your running long hose runs.

I know on our butler we see the difference at the gun if we add another 50 ft. to the 150 on the live reel. You can actually feel the difference in the trigger pull on the wand.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Interesting never noticed anything like that between a 25ft and 160 ft. I guess it is so small of a thing for it to be noticed.
Try doing a simple bucket test with 1/4" at a given length, then with 3/8" at the same length on your porty. The results just might surprise you. ;)
I can figure out the difference between 3/8 and 1/4, 3/8 will have more volume then the 1/4, but what am saying is that 1/4 25ft compare to 1/4 100ft. I don't intend to use 3/8 anyway because 1/4 is way enough for Carpet tile and upholstery cleaning. How ever I will do a bucket test between 1/4 25 ft and 100 ft and see what I get

Reactions: Ed Valentine

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
I can figure out the difference between 3/8 and 1/4, 3/8 will have more volume then the 1/4, but what am saying is that 1/4 25ft compare to 1/4 100ft. I don't intend to use 3/8 anyway because 1/4 is way enough for Carpet tile and upholstery cleaning. How ever I will do a bucket test between 1/4 25 ft and 100 ft and see what I get
With a porty pump you will see more line loss than you will with a truckmount because of the difference in pumps and the way they work.
This is why i use 3/8" at any length hose run i use with my porty's.

My guess would be over 150 to say 200ft of 1/4" and more with a truckmount, you would start to see line loss. This is a guess however as i dont have a truckmount.

It will be interesting to see your results with your porty at 25ft of 1/4", and 100ft of 1/4" on the same machine.
It would be even more intresting to see the same results at 25 and 100ft with 3/8" soultion line.

What is your porty pumps psi and flow rated at? That also factors into the equation as does eliminating any "bottlenecks" in your solutions flow all the way to the jets.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
With a porty pump you will see more line loss than you will with a truckmount because of the difference in pumps and the way they work.
This is why i use 3/8" at any length hose run i use with my porty's.

My guess would be over 150 to say 200ft of 1/4" and more with a truckmount, you would start to see line loss. This is a guess however as i dont have a truckmount.

It will be interesting to see your results with your porty at 25ft of 1/4", and 100ft of 1/4" on the same machine.
It would be even more intresting to see the same results at 25 and 100ft with 3/8" soultion line.

What is your porty pumps psi and flow rated at? That also factors into the equation as does eliminating any "bottlenecks" in your solutions flow all the way to the jets.
My portable has the cat pump 1.5gpm 500psi, I use it at max at 400psi. My other pump is the water otter I believe 2.2gpm.

Reactions: vibra vacster

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
My portable has the cat pump 1.5gpm 500psi, I use it at max at 400psi. My other pump is the water otter I believe 2.2gpm.
The Cat 1XP series pumps are pretty much top pumps for a porty.
I have 2 of them, 1 DC motor 1XP125.03DC (300 psi @1.25gpm) and 1 AC motor 1/3hp 1XP150.031 (325psi @ 1.5gpm). Great pumps and smoother then Pumptecs.
You can change the cams in the Cat 1XP's to get any desired flow/psi combo too. ;)

I never clean carpet at over 400psi myself either.

With the water otters high flow pumptec 356, you dont need to use 3/8 because of its high flow output at 2.2gpm.

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
The Cat 1XP series pumps are pretty much top pumps for a porty.
I have 2 of them, 1 DC motor 1XP125.03DC (300 psi @1.25gpm) and 1 AC motor 1/3hp 1XP150.031 (325psi @ 1.5gpm). Great pumps and smoother then Pumptecs.
You can change the cams in the Cat 1XP's to get any desired flow/psi combo too. ;)

I never clean carpet at over 400psi myself either.

With the water otters high flow pumptec 356, you dont need to use 3/8 because of its high flow output at 2.2gpm.
When I use my water otter pump I do crank it to 500 psi because I use a 5 jetted wand at 1.5 flow each jet, I mean anything less than that I don't feel the punch. How ever I do lower it down when I am using my 2 jet wand.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
The size of the hose will affect the flow rate no doubt, especially over distance.
Portables are more affected by this than truckmounts however.
This is due to the fact that truckmounts use postitive displacement pumps (think triple plunger cat, general etc) and have higher flow capablities then the much different type of pumps that a portable uses usually with a lower rate flow as well.
I use 3/8 hose with my portys and use stainless straight thru flow QDs to boot too and have really nice flow.
Nice. Im interested in this. Can you tell me what is meant by "stainless straight thru flow QDs". Thank you very much! Pat

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Nice. Im interested in this. Can you tell me what is meant by "stainless straight thru flow QDs". Thank you very much! Pat
I beleive he's talking about this type
http://www.pressureparts.com/8-707-144-0

instead of the shut off kind we normally use, which add restriction to flow. I prefer the straight through ones for that reason. I have installed ball valves to shut off flow at the end where I connect the wand or gun in case I need to disconnect while working.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I beleive he's talking about this type

instead of the shut off kind we normally use, which add restriction to flow. I prefer the straight through ones for that reason. I have installed ball valves to shut off flow at the end where I connect the wand or gun in case I need to disconnect while working.
O, thank you. I will look at implementing this in my set up.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
O, thank you. I will look at implementing this in my set up.
Make sure you get a good ball valve, cheap ones wear out and leak in short time, especially if you are running hot water through them. I think I spent $40 on the valve on mine, but its outlasted 3 hoses.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Make sure you get a good ball valve, cheap ones wear out and leak in short time, especially if you are running hot water through them. I think I spent $40 on the valve on mine, but its outlasted 3 hoses.
Ok, noted. Thanks

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Hello Patrick, these quick disconnects (QD's) don't have the shutoff poppet/spring in them, they are "straight open through" the center and provide excellent unobstructed flow.
They however do not shut off when disconnected, but with a porty you'd usually shut off your pump before disconnecting anything anyway.
I use both 1/4" and 3/8" sizes. Ironically the 1/4" alone have a center flow orfice thats almost as big as the id of 3/8" hose alone, so don't be afraid to use them even though they are a bit smaller. I like the Hansen line myself...here is a link.

https://www.dultmeier.com/catalog/0.2099.2104.5997

Make sure to use Viton Orings as they are the longest lasting and most chemical resistant. ;)

I believe he's talking about this type

Adding a valve to flow through quick connect setup is another good idea if you want to be able to shut off the flow without going back to the machine and shutting off the pump.
With a portys pressure its not as important to get top quailty valves as they are less likely to have issues like they are with a truckmount. I use a reg brass valve from home depot made for water or gas 500psi working pressure on one of my setups. Works great, i cut down the handle length so it was less likely to catch on anything too.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Hello Patrick, these quick disconnects (QD's) don't have the shutoff poppet/spring in them, they are "straight open through" the center and provide excellent unobstructed flow.
They however do not shut off when disconnected, but with a porty you'd usually shut off your pump before disconnecting anything anyway.
I use both 1/4" and 3/8" sizes. Ironically the 1/4" alone have a center flow orfice thats almost as big as the id of 3/8" hose alone, so don't be afraid to use them even though they are a bit smaller. I like the Hansen line myself...here is a link.

https://www.dultmeier.com/catalog/0.2099.2104.5997

Make sure to use Viton Orings as they are the longest lasting and most chemical resistant. ;)

Adding a valve to flow through quick connect setup is another good idea if you want to be able to shut off the flow without going back to the machine and shutting off the pump.
With a portys pressure its not as important to get top quailty valves as they are less likely to have issues like they are with a truckmount. I use a reg brass valve from home depot made for water or gas 500psi working pressure on one of my setups. Works great, i cut down the handle length so it was less likely to catch on anything too.
Ok, thanks. I will keep this on my mod list to do. Pat

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Oy vey! 1/4" has been the standard since 1776. worry more about chemistry and agitation...get those two pieces of the pie down-pat and go get that money.

Reactions: Fedri

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Oy vey! 1/4" has been the standard since 1776. worry more about chemistry and agitation...get those two pieces of the pie down-pat and go get that money.
A very republic kind of answer. Hey, I will take any edge I can get, although its only a thought at this point. Today, I used Robs Secret Prespray ( I spiked it with Grout Master and some of Robs powdered peroxide). So, maybe that qualifies me on the chems you mention. Also, I agitated that bugger before prespray with a CRB. And after prespray. Interesting, that after prespray crb agitation yielded more noticeable fuzzy wet yuck. So, I'm also a serious agitator. Check out some pics. (Today I received my 2nd Koblenz 175, 13 inch, about 60 pounds. First one had damaged bell. Agitators=crb, 175, carpet rake, brush.)

Attachments

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I prefer cake red white and blue murica cake

Reactions: Allied

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
A very republic kind of answer. Hey, I will take any edge I can get, although its only a thought at this point. Today, I used Robs Secret Prespray ( I spiked it with Grout Master and some of Robs powdered peroxide). So, maybe that qualifies me on the chems you mention. Also, I agitated that bugger before prespray with a CRB. And after prespray. Interesting, that after prespray crb agitation yielded more noticeable fuzzy wet yuck. So, I'm also a serious agitator. Check out some pics. (Today I received my 2nd Koblenz 175, 13 inch, about 60 pounds. First one had damaged bell. Agitators=crb, 175, carpet rake, brush.)
Very nice Patrick I love it. The CRB will pull more hair deep down from the carpet vs a 175. I know some of the guys here won't agree but I am 100% CRB agitator if it is necessary.

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO