Solution hose size

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I've got a machine dedicated for hard surface cleaning (restrooms and such). Its got a 1gpm, 500psi pump and came with 35 feet of 3/8 " hose. Recently I had to replace the hose in a hurry and ended up with 25' of 1/4" hose. Now I'm looking at getting a better hose and making that 25" a backup. I'm thinking I want to go to 50' as well. Would I be better to stick with 1/4" for a 50' run or should I go back to the 3/8"? What would be the pros and cons of each hose size?

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
We run 1/4in. Parker parflex has been my #1 choice, Ive used everything out there and it just outperforms them all as far as heat retention, durability, its light weight, doesnt bleed color from the jacket when hot, and its not hot to the touch so it wont burn wool etc.
But... Cobbs carpet supply is now offering a new thermoplastic hose that looks really good to me, Im going to give it a try on one truck and see how we like it... it may be better than Parflex.

for hose size, 3/8 is fine it just requires a larger hose reel and its heavier... also not really necessary for carpet/tile cleaning.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
We run 1/4in. Parker parflex has been my #1 choice, Ive used everything out there and it just outperforms them all as far as heat retention, durability, its light weight, doesnt bleed color from the jacket when hot, and its not hot to the touch so it wont burn wool etc.
But... Cobbs carpet supply is now offering a new thermoplastic hose that looks really good to me, Im going to give it a try on one truck and see how we like it... it may be better than Parflex.

for hose size, 3/8 is fine it just requires a larger hose reel and its heavier... also not really necessary for carpet/tile cleaning.
Do you think I would be better to stay with 1/4" for the longer run? Would I lose some pressure if I did 50' at 3/8? Or am I possibly restricting the pumps ability to push water out with the smaller hose and would get the full benefit of the pumps flow and pressure with a 3/8?

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
I've got a machine dedicated for hard surface cleaning (restrooms and such). Its got a 1gpm, 500psi pump and came with 35 feet of 3/8 " hose. Recently I had to replace the hose in a hurry and ended up with 25' of 1/4" hose. Now I'm looking at getting a better hose and making that 25" a backup. I'm thinking I want to go to 50' as well. Would I be better to stick with 1/4" for a 50' run or should I go back to the 3/8"? What would be the pros and cons of each hose size?
Running a shorter run with a porty like you are 25-35 feet, 1gpm @500psi you should be fine with using 1/4" and not seeing a difference in the flow rate.
3/8" hose shines with lower psi's under 300psi because it helps with flow from a lower pressure pump.
However when your using longer runs say over 50ft with a porty even with a say 400-500psi pump 3/8 does help maintain better flow as flow rate decreases over distance.
Hope this helps!

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Just get another 16-18 ft set of 1/4" and vac.

I'd be thinking shorter runs doing commercial and bathrooms with a porty, not longer.

It's enough of a battle as it is without 50 ft of hose.

You could always combo both 1/4 sets for 40+ feet if you wanted to.

Smaller sets are easier to manage too.

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Just get another 16-18 ft set of 1/4" and vac.

I'd be thinking shorter runs doing commercial and bathrooms with a porty, not longer.

It's enough of a battle as it is without 50 ft of hose.

You could always combo both 1/4 sets for 40+ feet if you wanted to.

Smaller sets are easier to manage too.
I agree with Goomer, being most tile portys have a single vac, stay with a short hose run.
Id go with either 2 15ft sol/vac hose sets you could add or subtract accordingly -or- a single 20-25ft run.
500psi is about the minimal psi youll need to clean tile especially at a 1gpm flow. Flow is an important factor when cleaning tile.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I believe that majority of CC's stick with a 1/4" solution hose for convenience reasons. It's not as heavy as 3/8", not as bulky, easy to reel in and won't take as much space. I had one, got rid of it long time ago. No regrets.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Thanks for the replies. I went with 50' of 1/4 inch. I've got 50 feet of vac hose on there and it does great for what I'm doing with it, will be nice to have the solution hose to match my vac hose.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I only use 3/8 hose if I need super high flow like super dirty tile, concrete cleaning or dual tools. Sometimes I will run one 3/8 hose from truck and splice into two 1/4 hoses to the dual tools. Most of the time I only use 1/4 for single tool carpet cleaning

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I only use 3/8 hose if I need super high flow like super dirty tile, concrete cleaning or dual tools. Sometimes I will run one 3/8 hose from truck and splice into two 1/4 hoses to the dual tools. Most of the time I only use 1/4 for single tool carpet cleaning
I truly believe that some running high flow wands AREN'T actually getting the flow that they think their jets are supposed to be giving them because they are running ¼" lines.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I truly believe that some running high flow wands AREN'T actually getting the flow that they think their jets are supposed to be giving them because they are running ¼" lines.
Some of these wands have small stainless steel lines from valve to jets. I've seen 1/4 inch hose from the wand valve to jets but where it hooks to the jet bar it is choked down to an 1/8 fitting. My new Bentley wand is 1/4 inch hose from wand valve to jets with 1/4 fitting on jet bar. No choking it down. Flows very well. Like to see a wand with 3/8 all the way to the jets. Now that would be flowing

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I rarely use a wand with this machine. Spray gun with a variable pressure nozzle. I just got an offer for a 50' non marking 3/8 hose for $45, thats with fittings. Might pick it up and compare the 3/8 and the 1/4 and see what works better. I should also test the chemical injection with each hose, I hadn't thought about that. I rarely use it, typically prefer to mix my chems in pump sprayers.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have my new Truck set up with two 1/4” that are 250’ each. Then one 3/8” that is 300’. Love it.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I don't what you guys are talking about loosing pressure or water flow using 1/4 long hose runs. I have a 100 ft of 1/4 hose and I use it sometimes with a porty pump 400 psi or the water otter 500psi and I don't see any difference when I use to have 160ft when comparing both, however I do notice the heat is higher with a shorter hose then a longer hose. Just use 1/4 50ft or 100ft what ever, it will do the job great ;)

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
I don't what you guys are talking about loosing pressure or water flow using 1/4 long hose runs. I have a 100 ft of 1/4 hose and I use it sometimes with a porty pump 400 psi or the water otter 500psi and I don't see any difference when I use to have 160ft when comparing both, however I do notice the heat is higher with a shorter hose then a longer hose. Just use 1/4 50ft or 100ft what ever, it will do the job great ;)
The size of the hose will affect the flow rate no doubt, especially over distance.
Portables are more affected by this than truckmounts however.
This is due to the fact that truckmounts use postitive displacement pumps (think triple plunger cat, general etc) and have higher flow capablities then the much different type of pumps that a portable uses usually with a lower rate flow as well.
I use 3/8 hose with my portys and use stainless straight thru flow QDs to boot too and have really nice flow.