So you think you know how to detail and clean car or van interiors | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

So you think you know how to detail and clean car or van interiors

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
Pretty much just stick to the low hanging fruit when it comes to this easy customer takes the seats out of the van or just simple
Unlike this gentleman, I don't have ten hours to spend on cleaning a van or car.

I'm pretty sure this guy makes more from the youtube thing having millions of views and links

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Pretty much just stick to the low hanging fruit when it comes to this easy customer takes the seats out of the van or just simple
Unlike this gentleman, I don't have ten hours to spend on cleaning a van or car.

I'm pretty sure this guy makes more from the youtube thing having millions of views and links

$1100 I got 10 hours

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
1100 to the clean car interior hahahhahahha

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It looks like he needs a bigger extractor! I hate that stopping and dumping. I don't go after vehicles but do occasionally take one. I'd be curious to know what he charged for all that work? I'm definitely not into total auto detailing. That guy is thorough so you gotta give him props for that. I wonder how long that job actually took start to finish?

Reactions: Select

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

My uncle did auto detailing for dealers along with full on restorations of car interiors for years. I’ll have to ask him if he pulled seats on the nasty ones. He told me the dealers were real cheap.
It looks like he needs a bigger extractor! I hate that stopping and dumping. I don't go after vehicles but do occasionally take one. I'd be curious to know what he charged for all that work? I'm definitely not into total auto detailing. That guy is thorough so you gotta give him props for that. I wonder how long that job actually took start to finish?
he said 8-10 hrs. I’d have to get $500 minimum. It’s really all labor. I’d do it but I wouldnt like doing them outside in the winter.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I used to do cars a lot. Watching videos like this is cool. But I HATE doing vehicles. It just is not worth it. Like, ever.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My uncle did auto detailing for dealers along with full on restorations of car interiors for years. I’ll have to ask him if he pulled seats on the nasty ones. He told me the dealers were real cheap.

he said 8-10 hrs. I’d have to get $500 minimum. It’s really all labor. I’d do it but I wouldnt like doing them outside in the winter.
I only do on-site cleaning of vehicles and I have done some pretty nasty ones. They don't call it detailing for nothing! If the customer wants those bolted down seats to come out I suggest they get their tools out cause I won't do that. Doing that kind of work really requires a shop. Doing that in really hot weather outside is a real bummer. I've had heat exhaustion twice from it and both times it was after doing 2 in a row in over 100 degree weather with the sun beating down on me the whole time. I will never do that again as long as I live. The last time it happened was just a few years ago. Just wasn't worth it. I actually wound up passing out in the customer's yard and couldn't get up! Honestly, I could care less if I ever clean another vehicle, period. Just not my cup of tea.

I doubt if that job should actually be more than 4-5 hours tops including taking the seats out and putting them back in. As I said, I will not remove bolted down seats. I think 500 would be very fair for one that bad, but I know the customer's around here would balk even at that price. Obviously the customer who owned that vehicle let it go for years. I'd be surprised if he got more than 500. A better extractor would have cut some time off and a truck mount even more because no stopping at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Btw, in case anyone's interested. That tip he gives at about 18:09 with Folex on those seats works great for headliners and door panels. As far as doing those seats I might have pulled out a peroxide based encap and use a brush or sponge or both. I think a good brush would be far faster than the drill brush and still do the job well, but quicker. Encap shampoo does a great job on some car upholstery and dries quick. It probably will go a lot quicker too! No way I'm spending 10 hours on a vehicle!

Last edited: