So this is a first

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
My son (been cleaning with me 10 years) cleaned this day before yesterday didnt do anything we havent done a millions times before any ideas why this happened? Carpet looked fine before cleaning about 3 hours after cleaning home owner said it buckled up. We let it dry and its still buckled. Pretty thick nylon with a synthetic backing extremely dirty before cleaning.

Attachments

• image000000(19).jpg
    image000000(19).jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image000003(2).jpg
    image000003(2).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image000004(1).jpg
    image000004(1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 51

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Maybe he wasn't recovering the water as well as he thought? Did your moisture meter confirm it wasn't wet for a while? When was the last time it was professionally cleaned?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Home owner said they have it cleaned regularly and this has never happened im feeling like he overwet it try to flush it out he said it was pretty bad. Guess im gonna be out a restretch and a reclean ugh

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
What PSI was he running? I know sometimes its easy for the vacuum to not be working great and not realize it either.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
My son (been cleaning with me 10 years) cleaned this day before yesterday didnt do anything we havent done a millions times before any ideas why this happened? Carpet looked fine before cleaning about 3 hours after cleaning home owner said it buckled up. We let it dry and its still buckled. Pretty thick nylon with a synthetic backing extremely dirty before cleaning.
Needs to be stretched. And it only get worse as time goes on when left loose. It being heavy has kept it appearing to be tight. I bet i could pull at least 2inches out of that.

Reactions: SRD

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Needs to be stretched. And it only get worse as time goes on when left loose. It being heavy has kept it appearing to be tight. I bet i could pull at least 2inches out of that.
Ya were honestly just kinda starting to break into residential. Im gonna have to have a session with my guys about how to pre-qualify carpets

Reactions: Fedri

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ya were honestly just kinda starting to break into residential. Im gonna have to have a session with my guys about how to pre-qualify carpets
I always look under furniture between legs. The legs act as nails stopping carpet from expanding. And against base for any humps. This reveals if strip has failed or that carpet is bunched against base. Failed pad can contribute to loose carpet even uneven subflooring. Where carpet was once tight then settled over a ramp in the floor. First day it will be like a trampoline but will fatigue rapidly.

May 22, 2011
Real Name
Nagy Gabriel
Business Location
United States
Happened to me few times but in the empty rooms. One time there were items on the carpet and customer been very wooried. I came back and removed the items from the carpet and gone back in few hours. I think the bed and other itmes keeps the carpet back from going back to normal, just a thought from my experience. Thank

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Happened to me few times but in the empty rooms. One time there were items on the carpet and customer been very wooried. I came back and removed the items from the carpet and gone back in few hours. I think the bed and other itmes keeps the carpet back from going back to normal, just a thought from my experience. Thank
Correct.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
IDK, I thought it was the backing that buckled so although the carpet may be dry to the touch, maybe there is enough humidity in the backing to have it buckle. Id wait a few days before doing anything

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I think I might know what happened.

After looking at the photos. I noticed that some of the carpet is loose at the tack strip area. Which makes me think if your son moved any furniture around prior or during the cleaning.

I think what happened was that the carpet was already loose and the cleaning which was thoroughly done and boom it happened

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I think I might know what happened.

After looking at the photos. I noticed that some of the carpet is loose at the tack strip area. Which makes me think if your son moved any furniture around prior or during the cleaning.

I think what happened was that the carpet was already loose and the cleaning which was thoroughly done and boom it happened
Na nothing got moved, however i feel like the carpet was poorly installed (stretched) that with him really flushing it out i believe he over wet it. Cant tell the home owner it was poorly stretched after the fact so were gonna fix it i have one of my installers going over there to stretch it and then were going to reclean it. Make a happy customer.
I did have a meeting/class with all my guys about pre-qualification of residential cleans though.

Reactions: sbsscn and Fedri

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Na nothing got moved, however i feel like the carpet was poorly installed (stretched) that with him really flushing it out i believe he over wet it. Cant tell the home owner it was poorly stretched after the fact so were gonna fix it i have one of my installers going over there to stretch it and then were going to reclean it. Make a happy customer.
I did have a meeting/class with all my guys about pre-qualification of residential cleans though.
Just hand do what I do. Just hand the customer a disclaimer about if rug buckles......not your fault. Before your guys start. Been in this situation before and sometimes the glue releases also and the carpet can delaminate. It’s on them.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Just hand do what I do. Just hand the customer a disclaimer about if rug buckles......not your fault. Before your guys start. Been in this situation before and sometimes the glue releases also and the carpet can delaminate. It’s on them.
That was my 1st initial fear was that it had delaminated, machine he was using get really hot and i was afraid he cranked the heat cause it was bad. Once i looked at it and realized that didnt happen i was relieved to say the least

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I dont have a disclaimer as this doesnt happen too often. What I DO have is an article written by an industry expert which explains in detail why it happens and give the customer a copy. I have never had to do a restretch in 40 years.

Also I dont know how you would prequalify this as if it is laying flat before you start you have absolutely no way of knowing if it will buckle.

yes I do tell people when I see a poor installation usually around door trim etc that they may not be aware of but buckling is something that even I cant see before I clean a carpet.

maybe its something I slept through at the IICRC class?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedri

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I dont have a disclaimer as this doesnt happen too often. What I DO have is an article written by an industry expert which explains in detail why it happens and give the customer a copy. I have never had to do a restretch in 40 years.

Also I dont know how you would prequalify this as if it is laying flat before you start you have absolutely no way of knowing if it will buckle.

yes I do tell people when I see a poor installation usually around door trim etc that they may not be aware of but buckling is something that even I cant see before I clean a carpet.

Bubbling around furniture legs, wall edges, carpet moving while cleaning several things can hint that its not properly stretched. Can you post that article or send it to me, id love to read it.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

Most customers don’t know that part of the maintenance program for carpet is restretching it..........if I walk into a job and I see buckling along the walls I tell them the carpet will probably buckle more as it needs a stretch and trim already and the cleaning will exacerbate it but it will probably return to the state I found it once dry.........then I proceed to hand them an installers card.........

Reactions: keep it clean

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The installation many times is done correctly, it’s just that overtime due to different factors the carpet just stretches.......it’s not always just because is was installed improperly.