So I cleaned my first Triexta carpet today...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AQD_Patrick

Jun 24, 2010
Michigan
arizonaquickdry.com
Real Name
Patrick D
Business Location
United States
I cleaned a Triexta, aka Smartstrand carpet and it was interesting. The customer told me it was this new fiber and all she had to do was use water to clean up spots. So, I walk into her living room and see this beige stuff that was covered in these little gray spots.... everywhere (except under the furniture). I presprayed it with MB Redline and it was STILL hard to clean. It took quite a few wand passes to really get those spots out. It looked good when I was done, but I was concerned of overwetting so I bonnet-dried it. Is the best way to clean this stuff is to just treat it like an Olefin? It was very soft to the touch I will say, and it supposedly never needs protector. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of carpet?

Gnu

Nov 16, 2009
Onion Sniffing Country
bingclean.com
Real Name
Ka Nacka Chu
Business Location
United States
I am not sure if it was that trexia stuff friday. realtor claimed it was indiscructable and bleach proof. and never needs soap. It was barely 980 s.f and took 6 hours to clean the crap with all the stains, oil build-up, traffic lanes. I finally got fed up wasting chems. so I got out the greased lightneing and sprayed the traffic areas. rinsed then bonneted and it finally came clean. Not unethical since I hit it with everything with no results.:mad:

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
Never had any problems with that stuff. In fact I did some tests on them and could not stain or remove color. I've cleaned dog pee out with a flash of an eye and with just straight water. I wonder if they gave her the wrong stuff?

Jul 26, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Greg McElfish
Business Location
United States
Just recleaned one yesterday afternoon. The client has had it almost 2 years and hates it. I'm not keen about it either but we love her dogs, especially the 2 that keep peeing on it. We've been back about 6 times for 2 rooms. I did not see any evidence that it'll clean with just water. On the really heavy areas PetZone with the water claw does great. Yesterday there were also a bad coffee spot and a dog vomit spot. Both cleaned great but with the right products. The stuff she has also has a very bad problem with picking from the dogs' claws. There are threads sticking up everywhere.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
View attachment Carpet - Triexta.pdf

Here is a Techncial Guide I wrote about Triexta carpet last year. It might help you recognize these when they come your way and know the best way to clean them.

We definitely think it requires more than water to clean it. It does have an affinity for oil much like its cousing polyester. It does naturally resist water-borne spills and dry soils. So if protector is applied, the main benefit is to resist the oily soils.

AQD_Patrick

Jun 24, 2010
Michigan
arizonaquickdry.com
Real Name
Patrick D
Business Location
United States
OK, I made a follow-up call to my customer from yesterday. She told me the carpet looks as good as new.
So, I am guessing the gray spots were oil-based and I just need to be a little more aggressive on the prespray.

AQD_Patrick

Jun 24, 2010
Michigan
arizonaquickdry.com
Real Name
Patrick D
Business Location
United States
Wow, pretty cool seeing this thread come back up again as I am going back to this house Wednesday.
This time, it is spilled strawberries...
If it was like the Gatorade I got out last time, it will be simple - no special red treatments necessary.

Apr 26, 2010
tx.
Real Name
Josh Almanza
Business Location
United States
was this cut pile if so, i wouldn't be post bonneting this type of fiber only berber style you risk the possibilty of blooming the fiber.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
From what I understand it is very similar to polyester. IQ 150 or Triexta or Smart Strand or Dupont Sorona
YOU MAY NOT:( want to use your hydrogen peroxide on it as the color may remove easily especially with hot water or if its mixed with a higher pH. So be carfull

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
www.jondon.com
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
Basically it is polyester and polyester does not attract acid dyes. As most food, drink and bodily fluids are acidic that is why they are easily removed. Oily spots are attracted to it and will definitely need a solvent to remove.

Nylon loves acid dyes which is why we need to use special dye removers aka Red Relief to remove.

skidom1

Nov 30, 2010
NM
Real Name
Dominic Cillis
Business Location
United States
I have a customer with this type of carpeting. Her daughter got into some red fingernail polish and smeared it all over the place! The fingernail polish came out successfully with no issue. However oils from the dog can be challenging to deal with. At least this stuff is better than P.E.T. tho. I'm not sure whether triexta is good or bad yet.