smoke/fire damage cleaning

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
besides removing anything that got scorched should i wipe down entire interior of house with sponge to remove smoke smell?

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
besides removing anything that got scorched should i wipe down entire interior of house with sponge to remove smoke smell?
YES!!! You 100% MUST use a dry chem sponge FIRST before doing any type of wet cleaning. I assume you are talking about walls, ceiling, doors, cabinets, etc. Do this at right angles for best results. Use treated dust clothes for things like lampshades and smaller contents.

When it's time to wash the walls wash them from then bottom up. NOT the top down. Best to use a detergent made specifically for walls. Use a bucket and towel. Rinse after. Now it is ready for paint.

Hope this helps a little as there is a lot to soot clean up. EASY to screw it up. let me know if you need more help.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
YES!!! You 100% MUST use a dry chem sponge FIRST before doing any type of wet cleaning. I assume you are talking about walls, ceiling, doors, cabinets, etc. Do this at right angles for best results. Use treated dust clothes for things like lampshades and smaller contents.

When it's time to wash the walls wash them from then bottom up. NOT the top down. Best to use a detergent made specifically for walls. Use a bucket and towel. Rinse after. Now it is ready for paint.

Hope this helps a little as there is a lot to soot clean up. EASY to screw it up. let me know if you need more help.

Helps a lot!
The house has wood floors as well. we are taking out anything that got burned. We will sponge the whole house then use the unsmoke degreaser to wipe walls ect...

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
One way we use is to prep 2 buckets. 1 with rags and the solution and 1 to throw the rags in after use. Best not to rinse the rags and use them again. Contaminates the water. Use the rag; throw it in the bucket and grab a new rag. We launder them after use and keep them for the next job.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
One way we use is to prep 2 buckets. 1 with rags and the solution and 1 to throw the rags in after use. Best not to rinse the rags and use them again. Contaminates the water. Use the rag; throw it in the bucket and grab a new rag. We launder them after use and keep them for the next job.
Excellent point.

Titan911

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Titan Restoration
1. Smoke happens when the fire damage takes place on the property and its restoration is only possible after the fire is controlled by the fire fighters.
2. In fire damage restoration the invisible smoke present in cracks created by damage are also cleaned up by the restoration services company.
3. Its recommended to take smoke-fire damage cleaning because the harmful remains of smoke inside cracks cause’s dangerous health issues after.
4. So if you are facing through this situation do take restoration services from any of the local restoration company.

Titan911

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Titan Restoration
Yes, carefully clean and sanitize everything with specialized products and techniques. Also, remove smoke and soot from walls, ceilings, floors, fixtures and mechanical systems. You should install proper drying equipment.