Mr. C

Apr 17, 2012
WY
Real Name
Preston Costley
Business Location
United States
With your business a success, why leave that money on the table? Just curious
I can't speak for Rob but I can tell you why I don't do a lot of carpet cleaning. My business is primarily restoration. It's difficult for me to schedule carpet cleaning clients when emergency work needs to be done. Also, while both industries have a lot of overlap, they also require very specialized tools and training. We have a great partnership with one of the local carpet cleaners and we have him handle the majority of our carpet cleaning. This partnership also has other benefits as well. If I have a large loss that needs extraction, I can call him to help. If he has a large commercial job and wants to run multiple truckmounts, I'm there for him.

Reactions: rob allen

likenew89

Jul 24, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Real Name
dan
I can't speak for Rob but I can tell you why I don't do a lot of carpet cleaning. My business is primarily restoration. It's difficult for me to schedule carpet cleaning clients when emergency work needs to be done. Also, while both industries have a lot of overlap, they also require very specialized tools and training. We have a great partnership with one of the local carpet cleaners and we have him handle the majority of our carpet cleaning. This partnership also has other benefits as well. If I have a large loss that needs extraction, I can call him to help. If he has a large commercial job and wants to run multiple truckmounts, I'm there for him.
I can understand not wanting to clean carpets coming from restoration.

Let's be honest, he has the money and could put together a truck and crew in no time.

I do both. You definitely need to be logistically sound

Mr. C

Apr 17, 2012
WY
Real Name
Preston Costley
Business Location
United States
I can understand not wanting to clean carpets coming from restoration.

Let's be honest, he has the money and could put together a truck and crew in no time.

I do both. You definitely need to be logistically sound
I agree that Rob could do it if he wanted.

Anna Levis

Jun 2, 2016
www.floodaz.com
Real Name
Anna Levis
I
This will be about a 3k dry down job. What is a dry down job? Where you only rip out and dry the structure. No reconstruction. I find construction to be a pita so we refer drywall and carpenters guys directly which accomplishes several things;

1) Client saves money and can put some in their own pocket.
2) I don't have to hassle with subs.
3) Minimal effort with maximum profit.

This is an easy job. We prefer the easy ones and usually sub out the Cat 3's and or if it is above 20k to a large local company who gives me a referral fee.

After tearing out all affected ceiling we take out baseboards where walls are affected. Using a non penetrating moisture meter I compare a dry area to a wet area. My goal is to match the wet affected area to a dry wall in another unaffected room. I want the moisture content to be the normal in the home as my finishing point.,taking a razor knife I cut along the top if the baseboard then use a small pry tool to remove the baseboard.

The drywall is only wet about 12" up. No need to remove drywall and I'll show you what you can do to avoid removal later.

View attachment 22294

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app
I would also like to share one of the process which HD restoration provides to their client when they were dealing with the water damage. The client house was full of water infact there is not a single space where we don't see any water and that was a challenging task.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I would also like to share one of the process which HD restoration provides to their client when they were dealing with the water damage. The client house was full of water infact there is not a single space where we don't see any water and that was a challenging task.
Please do.

Gregg Sargent

Oct 11, 2017
San Diego, California
www.GreggSargent.Com
Real Name
Gregg Sargent
Business Location
United States
I like to use the Viking wall cavity dryers for these types of jobs or you can use the Injectra-dry wall system. Nice thing is wall cavity dryers bill between $70 - $140 per day in Xactimate depending on which one you use. You can also place your dehu right next to the wall dryer and it will take that hot dry air into those cavities and dry it even faster.

Of course you need to check the cavity for insulation and mold. We also have a room scope sheet where we record the moisture readings of the wall on at at least 4 points on the wall then submit that with the invoice to the adjuster. With room by room pictures and readings adjuster will pay for the additional drying equipment easily since you are saving them so much on the rebuild.

Hope that helps.

Qman

Feb 7, 2017
Real Name
Quentin Tebb
We use the vikings a lot for our floods as we mainly deal with large high rise strata claims, and thus, a lot of tiled showers and bathtubs/rooms. For us we are not an insurance preferred, and work exclusively as strata preferred. In that regard, the vikings have been our selling feature to keep clients as well as get new clients.

Less demo by ramping up gear costs actually keeps our clients happy oddly enough. They will pay the extra for the dry out to avoid a costly repair bill at the end of the drying process. Hell we have some regular adjuster we deal with on large losses that will request and/or expect the vikings to be used on the job prior to their arrival to look at the job, and will gladly pay 3 or 4 more days to complete an in-place drying. Mainly the adjusters just don't want to foot a lead abatement bill as any tile with 90+ppm requires an abatement in our area.

So for us, the vikings serve as sort of a 1 to 2 punch. More money (vikings are cheap in terms of purchase costs to daily rental compared to TD's). Happy clients/strata because now the repairs go from new showers and tub surrounds and an insurance claim... to a few 3/8" holes below a baseboard line or a ceiling repaint for a higher cost on the emergency portion. For us, happy clients/strata means guaranteed call backs as well as a better overhead.

It's a win-win-win. More money for us, less disturbance to home owners, adjusters are happier as they aren't forking out high cash amounts on repairs or lead abatement's.