sandstormli

Dec 20, 2008
NY, long island/Lindenhurst
beyondmaids.com
Real Name
Roman Majda
Business Location
United States
Quick question, why not just cut out say an inch or 2 from the bottow of the sheet rock then then setup air mover in the room amd that will dry that too instead of punch holes and that "bag" with extra airmover to blow in ?
Well obviously more equipment means more money but if say this was all cash job and tight budget or you simply do not have that extra equipment would the technic I described be acceptable ?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Quick question, why not just cut out say an inch or 2 from the bottow of the sheet rock then then setup air mover in the room amd that will dry that too instead of punch holes and that "bag" with extra airmover to blow in ?
Well obviously more equipment means more money but if say this was all cash job and tight budget or you simply do not have that extra equipment would the technic I described be acceptable ?
You have to remember that there is a sill plates so if you cut two inches above that you will have to either replace drywall or get taller base boards, by punching holes you are allowing forced air to enter the wall cavity without causing more repairs.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Mo Repairs = Mo Money?
Not if we a service professionals are causing the need for the repairs. Insurance adjusters have been to the dance many times before so they are going to refuse to pay for repairs that could of been avoided.

Reactions: sandstormli

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Not advocating make senseless repairs..Adjusters are Heros in their Own minds..many on the Take..Which is why the software models are required by most Ins Cos nowadays. Good example..Mold Remediations ..Anyway...10's of thousand is not even covered anymore due to exclusion in policies.. Caused by Crook Adjusters..& their counterparts. US! They will accept claims for drying 3 days with Boatloads of equip. when in some cases it took 1 blower and less than 24 hrs to FULLY DRY!

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
I'd leave the trim in place and dry using lowered vapor pressure. I almost never remove any base trim unless I absolutely have to. I hate reconstruction costs too and if I can make money on my equipment vs placing trim I am all for it!

I always, always dry wet insulation unless it is a high Cat 2 or Cat 3.

If you are poking holes into the wall cavity down below I sure hope you are applying a negative pressure on the very top of the wall. If you are not, you are potentially blowing whatever mouse droppings, dead animal, dust, mold spores and who knows whatever else straight up and through cracks holes into the indoor air that the homeowner and it's occupants, toddlers, babies, parents, grandparents are breathing.

Not to discredit the way of drying but if someone gets sick due to poor indoor air quality as soon as you do thus your tail us in court as you now own the project and are the "professional" remediating the water damage claim.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Before I set up air movers I mist some anti-microbial in each wall cavity.

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1381668035.856181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Not if we a service professionals are causing the need for the repairs. Insurance adjusters have been to the dance many times before so they are going to refuse to pay for repairs that could of been avoided.
This is true in many cases. But Jason I will rip out anything that I think needs to go esp floors. Insurance companies don't like unhappy clients so they almost take care of it every time. The key is good documentation. On top of it if its something major ill call the adjuster. Your right about the dance though. They develop a 6th sense and know when they are being duped.

mathis1

Apr 9, 2011
Real Name
john mathis
Business Location
United States
1st unless rob is using an inject a dry, Octi dry unit just forced air will not always work,(I prefer PDX units when I can) Rob if your not carrying pollution insurance any water damage is a liability cause most GL only covers limited extractions. Now as for the large losses the process basically repeats it's self just the equipment gets exponentially larger in quantity so you can handle those too. And forget that 3 day BS it has no relevance to real world drying, truth be told you won't see it in any Manuel it's a made up theory! It's dry when it's dry, your best bet is to document,document document

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
This will be about a 3k dry down job. What is a dry down job? Where you only rip out and dry the structure. No reconstruction. I find construction to be a pita so we refer drywall and carpenters guys directly which accomplishes several things;

1) Client saves money and can put some in their own pocket.
2) I don't have to hassle with subs.
3) Minimal effort with maximum profit.

This is an easy job. We prefer the easy ones and usually sub out the Cat 3's and or if it is above 20k to a large local company who gives me a referral fee.

After tearing out all affected ceiling we take out baseboards where walls are affected. Using a non penetrating moisture meter I compare a dry area to a wet area. My goal is to match the wet affected area to a dry wall in another unaffected room. I want the moisture content to be the normal in the home as my finishing point.,taking a razor knife I cut along the top if the baseboard then use a small pry tool to remove the baseboard.

The drywall is only wet about 12" up. No need to remove drywall and I'll show you what you can do to avoid removal later.

View attachment 22294

That is exactly what we do Rob. dry down and move on. price is to get structure dry.
I like to exceed affected area by a couple feet on each end.

View attachment 22329

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Use a drywall punch to knock holes below the baseboard line at every 6 inches. This way the baseboard will hide the damage while allowing us to first inject anti microbial and dry behind wall.

View attachment 22328

We use a tack hammer for this. it is super quick. I have done this method many times but really wet sheetrock will have mold growth on paper backing cause it is almost impossible to treat properly unless your sprayer is shaped like a u , even then to many obstructions to get it all with microbs, So not a bad idea to put sheetrock replacement suggestion on the slip they sign. Although we all know most don't. Looks good on this side of the wall. If dried quickly then chances are better. but I have seen some BAD mold behind a perfectly fine wall.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States