Small house cleaning company looking to expand into portable carpet cleaning. Please help.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this... And honestly this guy/girl is gonna have a lot of trouble in life until he/she learns how to go with the flow. But if your budget is $5K and you want to do tile and grout, I would suggest getting a new Orbot Vibe and take the time to become a master of encapsulation. And get the tile and grout brush head for use on t&g.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself. My name is Eduard, and my wife owns a very small house cleaning company. Here's her Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/413housecleaning/
It's family owned and operated. Her clients keep asking if she does carpet cleaning, so I had this crazy idea of giving it a try! I'm thinking of starting a new company name, and do carpet cleaning separately from her house cleaning.

I've been lurking thru this forum for the last week soaking up all the info I can get. I'm so happy I found this place.

So I'm looking to buy a portable unit mostly for carpet cleaning. I'm hoping to also be able to clean car/rv interiors, and tile and grout if the portable unit can handle it.
What is your recommendations for the best portable unit for the above? She does 90% residential homes that have 2 floors. Something maneuverable is preferered. I would love a machine light enough for a female to be able to set up and put back in vehicle.
Next would be recommendations for the wands. Carpet, upholstery, tile& grout.
Need recommendations on cleaners as well.
Lastly need recommendations on the rest of the misc items needed like a pre sprayer, air movers, and a agitator.

I know I'm asking a lot, and I have zero experience with carpet cleaning, but we have a entrepenual mindset. I know we can do it! I'm not looking to quit my day time job just yet, so this would be a part time gig only, for now.

Recap:
1. Recommendation on a portable extractor (mainly for carpet, then upholstery and car interiors, and occasional tile&grout)
2. Chemicals, what to buy, and what to avoid
3. Easy to use wands for carpet, upholstery, and tile/grout.
4. Rest of misc items needed, need to know which are good and easy to use (pre sprayer, agitator, possibly air movers, and the rest

If you guys can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!
I believe Scott hit it out of the ballpark with his recommendations. Are you going to be doing the cleaning or is your wife going to be doing the carpet cleaning? The reason why I ask, and I am by no way putting women down... But those wands get heavy... I recommend... Getting a nice electric agitator... Like a steam brite... It will help when it comes time to wand.

Air movers... Shoot I think @Prosteam-sonomacounty mentioned a year or two ago air movers that were light weight... I can't help there we used big bulky air movers... Or @rob allen may be able to suggest something... You can check their Shop as well..

Are you going to do this additionally to current clients only or are you going to make this a separate business? You may want to consider doing this umbrella under one name. Taxes, License, etc. But some people want two of everything so you never know...

You'll have to get a van, and Steve has a pretty bad ass setup with his Vehicle and portable...I recommend a Google search to see portable setups in vehicles...

If I actually read through the rest of the thread, some of my questions were probably answered... But then again they may not have been.

Congratulations again and Welcome to TMF...

~Tiffany

Reactions: Mr Kleen

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Oh dear Lord I read through... I did get an answer to one of my questions though...

But seriously ~ It is to late to deal with this thread... It will probably be here in the morning... Probably...

Reactions: Luky

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I believe Scott hit it out of the ballpark with his recommendations. Are you going to be doing the cleaning or is your wife going to be doing the carpet cleaning? The reason why I ask, and I am by now way putting women down... But those wands get heavy... I recommend... Getting a nice electric agitator... Like a steam brite... It will help when it comes time to wand.

Air movers... Shoot I think @Prosteam-sonomacounty mentioned a year or two ago air movers that were light weight... I can't help there we used big bulky air movers... Or @rob allen may be able to suggest something... You can check their Shop as well..

Are you going to do this additionally to current clients only or are you going to make this a separate business? You may want to consider doing this umbrella under one name. Taxes, License, etc. But some people want two of everything so you never know...

You'll have to get a van, and Steve has a pretty bad ass setup with his Vehicle and portable...I recommend a Google search to see portable setups in vehicles...

If I actually read through the rest of the thread, some of my questions were probably answered... But then again they may not have been.

Congratulations again and Welcome to TMF...

~Tiffany
I got his Air Mover....lol
jap.jpg

Last edited:

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself. My name is Eduard, and my wife owns a very small house cleaning company. Here's her Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/413housecleaning/
It's family owned and operated. Her clients keep asking if she does carpet cleaning, so I had this crazy idea of giving it a try! I'm thinking of starting a new company name, and do carpet cleaning separately from her house cleaning.

I've been lurking thru this forum for the last week soaking up all the info I can get. I'm so happy I found this place.

So I'm looking to buy a portable unit mostly for carpet cleaning. I'm hoping to also be able to clean car/rv interiors, and tile and grout if the portable unit can handle it.
What is your recommendations for the best portable unit for the above? She does 90% residential homes that have 2 floors. Something maneuverable is preferered. I would love a machine light enough for a female to be able to set up and put back in vehicle.
Next would be recommendations for the wands. Carpet, upholstery, tile& grout.
Need recommendations on cleaners as well.
Lastly need recommendations on the rest of the misc items needed like a pre sprayer, air movers, and a agitator.

I know I'm asking a lot, and I have zero experience with carpet cleaning, but we have a entrepenual mindset. I know we can do it! I'm not looking to quit my day time job just yet, so this would be a part time gig only, for now.

Recap:
1. Recommendation on a portable extractor (mainly for carpet, then upholstery and car interiors, and occasional tile&grout)
2. Chemicals, what to buy, and what to avoid
3. Easy to use wands for carpet, upholstery, and tile/grout.
4. Rest of misc items needed, need to know which are good and easy to use (pre sprayer, agitator, possibly air movers, and the rest

If you guys can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!
You have to take it easy on your wife, it seem that she's the dough maker in your household. If you want her to expand beyond house cleaning to a world of carpet and upholstery, that's wonderful idea, because she'll be able to bring more dough. Few things has to be considered.If she's tiny gal I would recommend Mytee or Kleenrite spotter, weighing up to 30 lb. It wouldn't let her do the carpeting, but it would perform just fine on upholstery, which is a good start with a little expansion efforts. If your wife is willing to haul around more weight, I would recommend stronger upholstery portable like Kleenrite Sphere with heat and solid one e stage motor. (50lb)This unit will easily do larger pieces of furniture at good production times and gives her ability to clean rugs and few areas of carpeting on 4 gal fresh water tank and removable dirty water compartment. I wouldn't recommend larger 90-150lb portable unit, unless you going to help out. So until you resolve the weight issues, you might put your dreams of business expansion on hold.

Last edited:

Mr Kleen

Jan 20, 2017
Real Name
Eduard
You have to take it easy on your wife, it seem that she's the dough maker in your household. If you want her to expand beyond house cleaning to a world of carpet and upholstery, that's wonderful idea, because she'll be able to bring more dough. Few things has to be considered.If she's tiny gal I would recommend Mytee or Kleenrite spotter, weighing up to 30 lb. It wouldn't let her do the carpeting, but it would perform just fine on upholstery, which is a good start with a little expansion efforts. If your wife is willing to haularound

I work for a corporate company, we both work very hard to bring bread to the table. My wife doesn't clean houses, she runs the business.
My wife's cleaners would possibly do the carpet cleaning AFTER I give it a shot on the weekends with her.

We are looking for a good 500psi unit and accessories needed for it

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I work for a corporate company, we both work very hard to bring bread to the table. My wife doesn't clean houses, she runs the business.
My wife's cleaners would possibly do the carpet cleaning AFTER I give it a shot on the weekends with her.

We are looking for a good 500psi unit and accessories needed for it
Sorry, I wasn't able to finish my post at once, but I remember yhat you mentioned portable unit that female is going to be able to move around. It means any female, not your wife. That's understandable, other female , not my female can haul up to 200lb, right. You're asking for advice or you trying to start problem with women?
What is it?

Mr Kleen

Jan 20, 2017
Real Name
Eduard
Sorry, I wasn't able to finish my post at once, but I remember yhat you mentioned portable unit that female is going to be able to move around. It means any female, not your wife. That's understandable, other female , not my female can haul up to 200lb, right. You're asking for advice or you trying to start problem with women?
What is it?

Why are there so many trolls on my post?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Eduard,

You may also want to consider a relationship with a good carpet / upholstery / tile & Grout cleaning company. They can do the work for your custoemrs. They give you a discount and you bill full price and they give you a finders fee for all the work you send them. This would be a way to start offering these services without a big investment in equipment.
I kindly disagree with that concept, I would like to know, if any other OO"s have benefited by crossing theirs ways with a cleaning companies.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I kindly disagree with that concept, I would like to know, if any other OO"s have benefited by crossing theirs ways with a cleaning companies.

It could work. However we do our own janitorial, house cleaning and carpet cleaning

Like someone mentioned Become a master of Encapping if you only have a small van and possibly ladies doing the work.

An OP machine will be much easier for them and you can still get rocking results

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
It could work. However we do our own janitorial, house cleaning and carpet cleaning

Like someone mentioned Become a master of Encapping if you only have a small van and possibly ladies doing the work.

An OP machine will be much easier for them and you can still get rocking results
In case like this , I agree wholeheartedly.
Same goes for combining real estate, jani and carpet cleaning. Obviously there are so many variations. Im jealous of big families with big drive in their hearts. They can accomplish a lot

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States

Thanks for the red X bumhole.

Reactions: Mrs.SpeedySteamer