Slow season for carpet cleaning

Jan 31, 2018
Real Name
Enrico Collins
I don’t know about you guys, but during these slow seasons, auto detailing picks up. It’s cold and nasty but we can capitalize because no one wants a dirty car, but don’t want to clean it themselves. If you want tips and tricks of the Detailing trade or chemistry designed for Detailing, check out Chemical Guys dot com. They have everything you need for auto

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Handyman service is an easy pick up if you are capable to do the work. Change out a light fixture, install a new vanity in bath, fix the things contractors turn their nose up at. Ive turned down thousands of those jobs. Now im chasing them. Good change of pace i like it. Picking up customers along the way too.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My referral-only carpet cleaners are still going gangbusters - they're the ones who have good reputations all across the city and they turn down more customers than they accept.

My advertising guys and newer fellas are experiencing the dreaded "down time" and we're encouraging them to use it to pick up new skills, practice new techniques, get their gear clean and maintenanced, and to partner up with the water damage companies to do extraction for them. Busted pipes galore the last few weeks.

Me, I actually got to go away for a long weekend to the mountains. Needed the break. And it'd NEVER happen during busy season, these fellows would hunt me down and bring me back in chains if necessary :hilarious:

AprilP

Jan 28, 2018
Real Name
April Prescott
I usually learn a new process or improve the one I'm using during the slow months. I get stuff done around the house that I've put off. I find throwing money at it wasn't as effective as focusing on other parts of the business marketing, maintenance etc.
Thank you for your input, yes there is always stuff around the house to catch up on! I have been reading up on business marketing and thinking it is time to get a new web guy.

AprilP

Jan 28, 2018
Real Name
April Prescott
My referral-only carpet cleaners are still going gangbusters - they're the ones who have good reputations all across the city and they turn down more customers than they accept.

My advertising guys and newer fellas are experiencing the dreaded "down time" and we're encouraging them to use it to pick up new skills, practice new techniques, get their gear clean and maintenanced, and to partner up with the water damage companies to do extraction for them. Busted pipes galore the last few weeks.

Me, I actually got to go away for a long weekend to the mountains. Needed the break. And it'd NEVER happen during busy season, these fellows would hunt me down and bring me back in chains if necessary :hilarious:
Sounds like business is booming! Glad to hear. Is it awful to say, but thank goodness for busted pipes, water extraction has been keeping us busy. We do a lot of residential and they are keeping low right now.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We have been extremely busy. I personally miss slow times. It was my time to unwind and take vacations. But we’re booked solid. Though I don’t work on the Truck anymore, I do feel like I have to manage the growth.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We have been extremely busy. I personally miss slow times. It was my time to unwind and take vacations. But we’re booked solid. Though I don’t work on the Truck anymore, I do feel like I have to manage the growth.
That's the difference between having a job and having a business, heh. Many of my fellows haven't yet reached that point - they still have jobs.

When you're holding the reins, rather than pulling the cart, that's when you know you've built a successful company.

(y)

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
That's the difference between having a job and having a business, heh. Many of my fellows haven't yet reached that point - they still have jobs.

When you're holding the reins, rather than pulling the cart, that's when you know you've built a successful company.

(y)
I feel like I'm just steering the wheel. I asked Jesus to take wheel it but he said I'm a big boy and can do it myself. :)

Siperbowl

Jun 19, 2014
Real Name
Larry Sevigny
How to fill up a slow season? Tips?
Commercial cleaning accounts. The price per sf is lower but the GP is typically much higher due to the fact that many commercial maintenance programs entail rather large facilities (10k-50k/sf). Those sort of accounts will want their Professional Textile Cleaner to entertain cleaning multiple surfaces such as: Carpet, CT&G, VCT, LVT, Office Upholstery & Fabric Patricians. For those who solely focus on Residential clients this could open up a whole new branch of income in the slow season. Best of all it will give you best Tech's the hours they need to survive keeping them employed with you.
It has been a fairly busy season for Disaster Restoration with all of the broken pipes and ice damming. This is another great way to help supplement your income in the colder, slower months.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Remember you work to live not live to work.
Unless money is more important to you than enjoying what your working for.
I see to many people think that success is the amount of money you make. No business or amount of money will replace the time away from what your working for.