Slightly Freaking out. Bubbles in carpet that is NOT CGD | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Slightly Freaking out. Bubbles in carpet that is NOT CGD

Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
Ogden, UT
www.revolutionfloorcare.com
Real Name
Kevin Lietz
Business Location
United States
Okay so Saturday I did a flood extraction for some urine stains for a client. Left one of my Studebakers as a courtesy over the weekend to get thier carpets dry quick. Went to pick it up today, and found out she has several bubbles in the carpet. They've been "growing" (progressively getting worse). And it seems that they are odd buckles in the carpet. I don't believe its the subflooring, as there is clearly play in the actually carpet/pad when you step on it. Wierdest thing I've seen to date.

I've seen posts here about CGD doing this but not standard carpet... could it be latex backing? what in the world is going on here? I did a full cleaning on the 2 rooms outside of the pet stain areas.

I attached a couple of photos, you can't really tell but I did the best I could. It's not a ripple, it's an actual bulge
20180821_180845~2.jpg
20180821_180837~3.jpg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Poorly installed carpet that is now buckling

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Little bit of each. Could be poor install or crap backing. But urine if heavy enough will deteriorate the latex an loosen carpet. Adding moisture will enhance this. Definitely if your capable do a restretch (after completely dried). Sell them on it.

Reactions: Tanya Jarrett

Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
Ogden, UT
Real Name
Kevin Lietz
Business Location
United States
If curious enough and carpet is that loose. Pull that register and try looking under carpet. Maybe dead cat under there :D or cable wires, sock, plywood not nailed down, pad folded over...
I checked. Elbow deep and nothing but a little bit of wet pad. I couldn't tell if the subflooring was bulging or not. My carpet repair guy is our next step in figuring this out (really need to learn how to do that stuff myself.

The clients dad seems to think that the subflooring is particle board, which may? make a difference. But again, based on the "step on it" test, I don't think it's a subfloor issue. I guess we will see over the next few days. I left my fan there so we can see if drying it more will make a difference. One can hope!

Does anyone check things like this (subflooring type, backing material type) when doing urine Floods? Or do you have the customer sign a waiver? Is it a common problem? This customer I'm getting EXTREMELY lucky with because not only is dad a construction guy, but everyone is on the same page that it doesn't seem to be MY fault... I won't get lucky next time and I'll be damned if I replace flooring for something I didn't cause

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I forgot about partical board flooring. That will swell like a mofo. South Jersey uses that alot. Also beware of condos and apartments they use a fiber board as sound deadener. That expands like a sponge too.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
It will not only occur on CGD, it also depends on materials used to make the carpet.

If it is only happening on spots that were treated then maybe it might be delaminated.
possibly from urine and after it was treated/cleaned it has now become more noticeable.
if this was not present before you touched it then there is a chance that you might have caused this.
Scott might be able to diagnose and give you a different answer. (I might be wrong)

Reactions: Scott W

Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
Ogden, UT
Real Name
Kevin Lietz
Business Location
United States
I forgot about partical board flooring. That will swell like a mofo. South Jersey uses that alot. Also beware of condos and apartments they use a fiber board as sound deadener. That expands like a sponge too.
That's what my repair guy was worried about. Will it return to normal or are we all f'd? Should I start checking the subflooring every time I do a urine flood?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I checked. Elbow deep and nothing but a little bit of wet pad.
If there’s still moisture that is very likely the cause. I’ve seen carpet buckle with even the smallest amount of moisture. My parents get a big buckle in their living room every time it gets humid outside! Once the weather dries out the buckle goes away.

Let this carpet and pad dry for a week then check on it again. If it’s still buckled up after it’s 100% dry then it can be stretched out.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
That's what my repair guy was worried about. Will it return to normal or are we all f'd? Should I start checking the subflooring every time I do a urine flood?
Lol i would scrape it flat with a pry bar. If its still solid go over it. Can even laminate heavy guage sheet metal over it with glue and roofing nails. If its lost structural integrity then cut over joists and patch with fresh 3/4 ply or strand board. Ive seen worse. These shore homes have all suffered storm damage. And ive gotton by scraping some spots flat. But be prepared to relplace some subfloor. Not a big deal. But its money out of your pocket. Thats if you did it. And its not from repeated pet going to the bathroom there.
Good idea to check. Personally i wouldnt do it unless it were concrete. Wood floor ide peel carpet back and lay out plastic.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Differential expansion that happens to CGD can happen to any carpet if it is not stretched tightly. Usually this is an installation issues, but carpet can get loose over time with traffic and such.

It can also be delamination which might be aggravated by the urine.

It can be swelling in the particle subfloor. That material looses integrity pretty easily. If the cushion (pad) is still wet a day or more later after extraction, the extraction did not get enough moisture out of the pad and can cause buckling. Even the pad should be dry in 8 to 12 hours after using a Water Claw to extract an area that has been treated for urine.

One test short of turning back the carpet, is to get a carpet awl and insert into the top layer of the carpet. Pull the carpet upward and then release it. Does the carpet drift slowly back to the floor or does it snap back? Drifting usually means delamination.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Does anybody else get Goosebumps when reading one of Scott W posts?

Reactions: Mama Fen

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Weird coincidence heres one today
20180904_104908.jpg
20180904_104846.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We had a carpet and padding covered by laminate floor. Nasty mildew issue.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
What the hell? Is that actual hardwood flooring covered by particle board UNDER the carpet?
No. Tongue & groove red pine 3/4 planks. That was the subfloor material prior to plywood. They went over it with particle board to smooth out the humps.

Reactions: Kevin Lietz

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It went back down I guess... needs to be stretched though. Finishing it up next week with my carpet repair guy. (I REALLY need to get that half of the business under my belt)
Go with him and watch. Pay particular attention to how he moves wrinkles. Youll notice its basically a big circle jerk as you chase them around the room. Most can be just 2 walls pulled up (easy money). others need all walls pulled. Also note how he avoids pulling off of short areas like door frames and vents. The cutting part is just something you have to get used to on your own. He can tell you how but it takes getting used to to understand. Good money in it. And repairs are available in almost all homes if you look close.

Reactions: Kevin Lietz