Slide-In Truckmount Advice

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
Hello! I'm new to 'TMF'! I'm looking to upgrade to a slide-in truckmount from portables as my cleaning business grows. I service mainly bank branches, churches, residential, Dr. Offices, & small business offices. Was looking at the following (3) units due to my budget. 1. Sapphire Rage 2. HydraMaster 318 and lastly... 3. HydraMaster 318HP. I'm looking to mount these in a 10 x 8 dual tandem axel trailer. My local dealer said all three units are good and comparable. He seems to prefer the Sapphire in terms of maintenance & ease of use. I noticed Sapphire utilizes the Kohler engine & belt drive system which are supposedly easier to work on. The HydraMaster utilizes Briggs & Stratton engines & a coupler drive that is more labor intensive when it comes time to repairs. I've been told ideally these units work best up to 200' - 250'. Apparently these can all reach farther but generally not recommended past 350'. Is this an accurate assessment? B.T.W. I'm generally not a huge Briggs fan based off my past lawn mower experiences.

Any advice would be appreciated from folks who've had experience with these units. I'm ideally seeking a TM that will cut my set-up time from portables and offer generally a better clean than my portables. Thanks!

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Hello! I'm new to 'TMF'! I'm looking to upgrade to a slide-in truckmount from portables as my cleaning business grows. I service mainly bank branches, churches, residential, Dr. Offices, & small business offices. Was looking at the following (3) units due to my budget. 1. Sapphire Rage 2. HydraMaster 318 and lastly... 3. HydraMaster 318HP. I'm looking to mount these in a 10 x 8 dual tandem axel trailer. My local dealer said all three units are good and comparable. He seems to prefer the Sapphire in terms of maintenance & ease of use. I noticed Sapphire utilizes the Kohler engine & belt drive system which are supposedly easier to work on. The HydraMaster utilizes Briggs & Stratton engines & a coupler drive that is more labor intensive when it comes time to repairs. I've been told ideally these units work best up to 200' - 250'. Apparently these can all reach farther but generally not recommended past 350'. Is this an accurate assessment? B.T.W. I'm generally not a huge Briggs fan based off my past lawn mower experiences.

Any advice would be appreciated from folks who've had experience with these units. I'm ideally seeking a TM that will cut my set-up time from portables and offer generally a better clean than my portables. Thanks!

First, banks typically don't want you using a truck mount since it leaves the place open. So I would check with them.

Second, if you are looking for better cleaning results you are most likely missing something in your cleaning process.

Third, look at direct drive units also. They typically save space and are much simpler designs with less potential for breakdown. I personally will never buy a slide in unit, why would I want to maintain a second engine?

Fourth, if you are mainly commercial I would invest in encap equipment before a truck mount.

Reactions: Wec

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones

For 5k more you can get a hydramaster 423 which is alot more machine. Just incase your business grows even more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Those are entry level machines that provide the minimum power needed to attain an acceptable level of clean IMO. They might be good up to 150 feet (maybe).
I understand about budgeting, but a better option might be to check and see if a local supplier has any used equipment for sale. Sometimes they can finance the used equipment if needed.

I also agree with the banks not wanting their doors opened for security reasons. If that is a large portion of your work; then I would stick with a portable or some type of vlm. They usually don't care if it is actually clean as much as they care about the appearance. That's my experience. :)

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
Those are entry level machines that provide the minimum power needed to attain an acceptable level of clean IMO. They might be good up to 150 feet (maybe).
I understand about budgeting, but a better option might be to check and see if a local supplier has any used equipment for sale. Sometimes they can finance the used equipment if needed.

I also agree with the banks not wanting their doors opened for security reasons. If that is a large portion of your work; then I would stick with a portable or some type of vlm. They usually don't care if it is actually clean as much as they care about the appearance. That's my experience. :)
Thanks Crash! What I'm being told by the dealers are even though these are entry-level TM's, they still outperform even the best portables... Is this accurate? What TM units would you consider the minimum level of performance as a baseline? Should I maybe consider the Sapphire 370-SS or HydraMaster Boxxer 423S? How much more performance to you get for your money on these units? Appreciate the feedback!

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Thanks Crash! What I'm being told by the dealers are even though these are entry-level TM's, they still outperform even the best portables... Is this accurate? What TM units would you consider the minimum level of performance as a baseline? Should I maybe consider the Sapphire 370-SS or HydraMaster Boxxer 423S? How much more performance to you get for your money on these units? Appreciate the feedback!
I would not go anything less than a # 4 blower example roots 45.
Also,a decent pump 4 gpm
Decent heat that will maintain 200* min at truck running 8 flow.
Now these dealers IMO want to move units and those entry level TM's may not cut the mustard. Do a demo see what happens when you lay out 150 ft a press trigger on wand for 1 min. Also fill 5 gallon pail full of water and suck it up see how long it takes to clear hose. Just saying for a few K more you can get a TM that will not disappoint after 100ft of hose is out and under load

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
The two you just mentioned are better performers than the previous ones. The trick is for the machine to be able to pull all the water back to the machine. Once 150 feet of 2 inch hose gets full of water; it is difficult for the smaller machines to continue their performance. I personally like the 370ss. I think it would be a good machine to do what you are talking about. I think you would be happy with it.
I was just looking at one (the 370ss) the other day while I was waiting for my machine to get finished(I bought another direct drive) and I thought it was set up pretty well. :)

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
I would not go anything less than a # 4 blower example roots 45.
Also,a decent pump 4 gpm
Decent heat that will maintain 200* min at truck running 8 flow.
Now these dealers IMO want to move units and those entry level TM's may not cut the mustard. Do a demo see what happens when you lay out 150 ft a press trigger on wand for 1 min. Also fill 5 gallon pail full of water and suck it up see how long it takes to clear hose. Just saying for a few K more you can get a TM that will not disappoint after 100ft of hose is out and under load
Thank you for the advice. It seems I need to definitely rethink my purchase decision.

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
The two you just mentioned are better performers than the previous ones. The trick is for the machine to be able to pull all the water back to the machine. Once 150 feet of 2 inch hose gets full of water; it is difficult for the smaller machines to continue their performance. I personally like the 370ss. I think it would be a good machine to do what you are talking about. I think you would be happy with it.
I was just looking at one (the 370ss) the other day while I was waiting for my machine to get finished(I bought another direct drive) and I thought it was set up pretty well. :)
Thanks again Crash! From what I'm finding out from actual users... the performance really meets the road from 150' out. I think I'm going to look at some larger units such as the Sapphire 370SS. It's a large investment regardless. If I'm going to spend the $, I really want something that is going to perform.

Reactions: crash1big

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Thank you for the advice. It seems I need to definitely rethink my purchase decision.
If it is in your budget go at least midsize setup.... up to 200 ft will still be sufficient. Keep us posted on what you go with. I have a Hydramaster Titan 575 and very happy with close to 3k hrs and NO issues except for some minor parts that from wear and tear. 575 has a good track record .

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
If it is in your budget go at least midsize setup.... up to 200 ft will still be sufficient. Keep us posted on what you go with. I have a Hydramaster Titan 575 and very happy with close to 3k hrs and NO issues except for some minor parts that from wear and tear. 575 has a good track record .
Will do. Thanks again! I'll research the Titan 575. I'm not sure if this will fit in my budget currently, but I will definitely research it. From what I looked at thus far, I could stretch into a unit like the Sapphire 370SS or HydraMaster Boxxer 423S. I'm not sure where the 575 is priced compared to those units.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States

You can go 200' on those. Anything over that distance and you would have nothing more than a weak portable would produce.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
Elook at the size of the engine and the size of the blower....
Also need to decide if you are gonna use fuel heat or heat exchanger....
Larger the blower the larger engine you will need..

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
Get the most powerful unit possible. The small units with a # 3 blower are more expensive in the end when you realize they are quite a bit less powerful and you are spending extra time on the job. After being through 12 units over the years, I would get one with at least a #4 blower. Also consider not only how hot they get but how much temperature they will actually maintain when constantly cleaning. This is typically a significantly lower temperature on the smaller units. Bigger is better in my opinion. It's expensive to buy an under powered machine in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Choneque

Nov 18, 2012
Real Name
Sean Page
First, banks typically don't want you using a truck mount since it leaves the place open. So I would check with them.

Second, if you are looking for better cleaning results you are most likely missing something in your cleaning process.

Third, look at direct drive units also. They typically save space and are much simpler designs with less potential for breakdown. I personally will never buy a slide in unit, why would I want to maintain a second engine?

Fourth, if you are mainly commercial I would invest in encap equipment before a truck mount.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums