Sisal rug curled on one end. Can it be helped or corrected?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
A customer asked me if anything could be done to help this curl on her sisal rug to lay back down. It appears to be caused by the backing material. I told her I doubt it can be corrected, but thought I'd put it on here and see if there are any good suggestions. This rug has some kind of bonded backing to it. Here are a couple pics. She said the rug was not very expensive so she's not willing to spend much to correct the problem if it even can be corrected.
20180206_172201.jpg
20180206_172213.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’ve had success with sisal by lightly wetting it and putting weights on it to hold it flat while drying. Get a 2X4, some plastic, and a couple bricks or something heavy. Wrap the plastic around the 2x4 and put it so about an inch of the board is on the rug then put the weight on it. Use very little moisture, just a light mist from a spray bottle and towel it in. I’d spray about 6 inches in or so. Put a fan on it to speed dry so you don’t leave a water mark. Leave the board and weights on overnight.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I’ve had success with sisal by lightly wetting it and putting weights on it to hold it flat while drying. Get a 2X4, some plastic, and a couple bricks or something heavy. Wrap the plastic around the 2x4 and put it so about an inch of the board is on the rug then put the weight on it. Use very little moisture, just a light mist from a spray bottle and towel it in. I’d spray about 6 inches in or so. Put a fan on it to speed dry so you don’t leave a water mark. Leave the board and weights on overnight.
I forgot to mention that the only part that is actually curled up is in the second picture. The curling is only on the outer binding area, but it's enough that she said her son keeps tripping over it. I held up the rug in the first picture to show the backing that's bonded to the rug. I was thinking about applying a vapor steamer to it and see if that would help it lay back down. I'm pretty sure that bonded backing caused the problem.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I used to make and bind rugs, Randy and I can tell you if you don't bind them correctly, they will curl. I'm thinking that it is the binding and not the backing that is causing the problem. And my opinion is based ONLY on the pictures that I see. I wish I could see it in living color to be certain.

That said, if it is the binding, then the only way to fix it would be to take the old binding off and bind it again. I do not believe that water, or steam is going to solve the problem.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I used to make and bind rugs, Randy and I can tell you if you don't bind them correctly, they will curl. I'm thinking that it is the binding and not the backing that is causing the problem. And my opinion is based ONLY on the pictures that I see. I wish I could see it in living color to be certain.

That said, if it is the binding, then the only way to fix it would be to take the old binding off and bind it again. I do not believe that water or steam is going to solve the problem.
That is pretty much what I told her. I was thinking it could be rebound but might be cost prohibitive. I don't know of anyone in our area who does that for sure. I don't know how much she paid for the rug but said it wasn't expensive. I could see how it could probably be rebound, but she's not that attached to the rug to be willing to sink into it what I figure that would cost. Those type rugs are very rare in my area and frankly, I hope it stays that way.

Last edited: