Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Have a client sent me this pic of a silk sofa. At least she said it’s silk. Looks like cotton to me. Any suggestions?

thumper@twow.com

Sep 19, 2010
Yorba Linda
www.mjmcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
mike mitts
Business Location
United States
Looks like some browning and water stains. Ive done tons of raw silk. Acidic prespray let dwell for a few minutes then a rinse with Acid sour 20% if the water and browning stains can come out that will do it. Outside on a sunny day. If not possible get a cheap disposable painter plastic cover the sofa and put a small dehumidifier in it. They dry real quick that way. Good luck

Reactions: rob allen

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Not a big deal to clean. Doesn't look to be silk to me but the pic is not clear or close enough to tell.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The cost of it would be tell tale if it were silk. I personally have never seen or heard of a silk sofa in my life, but that really doesn't mean anything. I seriously doubt one exist in my area even in the most upscale homes. I imagine the sofa would be extraordinarily expensive it were real silk. I'd definitely be burn testing it. I'd almost certainly be cleaning that with my sea sponge and Radiant shampoo followed by very low moisture extraction with my SS upholstery tool. I'd probably do that if it were cotton too so to me it wouldn't matter that much. I'm loving Radiant for fine fabrics. A little bit goes a very long way too.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Looks like cotton, also looks like a blend of cotton and polyester, I clean alot of these here and the fabric looks similar.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Have a client sent me this pic of a silk sofa. At least she said it’s silk. Looks like cotton to me. Any suggestions?

1st
Id the fiber, do not guess
2nd communicate with your client
ask questions and address its current condition and document
mention to her that perspiration can stain silk and cause yellowing/browning
3. Clean it as you would clean wool. Its a protein. Avoid ENZYME prespray and or high PH
4. consider using a piece of window screen mesh on top of the fabric if the fabric is delicate
dry quickly.
You should be able to use CTI/Pros choice safe & bright

or
use

pros choice OMS

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
It probably is silk or has silk highlights, but do a burn test to be sure.

I agreed with everything SBSSCN said until he mentioned CTI.

2 possible routes I would consider depending upon the condition of the fabric and how much soiling.
1) HWE with mild alkaline (8.0 or so) like Avenge Upholstery cleaner (not the Heavy Duty version). Mild acid rinse like Fab-Set at a few ounces per gallon. Dry quickly.
2) Clean with foaming shampoo (Bridgepoint Fabric Shampoo). Just use the foam, a sea sponge and some fiberglass window screen. RInse with acid and low moisture tool or wait until dry and vacuum.

Reactions: sbsscn

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
It probably is silk or has silk highlights, but do a burn test to be sure.

I agreed with everything SBSSCN said until he mentioned CTI.

2 possible routes I would consider depending upon the condition of the fabric and how much soiling.
1) HWE with mild alkaline (8.0 or so) like Avenge Upholstery cleaner (not the Heavy Duty version). Mild acid rinse like Fab-Set at a few ounces per gallon. Dry quickly.
2) Clean with foaming shampoo (Bridgepoint Fabric Shampoo). Just use the foam, a sea sponge and some fiberglass window screen. RInse with acid and low moisture tool or wait until dry and vacuum.

Bridgepoint makes wonderful products that can do the work and have an outstanding result.

Cant go wrong with Bridgpoint and or CTI

Reactions: Scott W

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks. It cleaned up decent but not much of an appearance change. Not a fan of this stuff.