Shutting down issue | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Shutting down issue

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I have a 25 HP chemtex panther with a kolher motor. Has anybody had issues with the motor running rough? For a while the machine ran fine, but lately the machine sputters while running every so often. I especially notice it having problems and dying when the machine is constantly being put on load then off load (wand on ie load and off carpet ie off load during cleaning.) Lately it is even having problems cranking after dying, and when I do get it started, I have to run the machine engine on low to make it through the job.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Check the air filter. Probably clogged. And plugs fouled, replace both then see what happens.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Good advice above, also check fuel delivery. Splicing in a marine primer bulb (repeat the known problem condition while somebody primes the bulb continuously) is an easy way to check fuel pump, cracked fuel lines drawing air, worn rocker style fuel pump/electric fuel pump. Keep us posted.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Check the air filter. Probably clogged. And plugs fouled, replace both then see what happens.
Haven't replace the air filter, but have replaced the plugs. I'll look at the air filter!

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Good advice above, also check fuel delivery. Splicing in a marine primer bulb (repeat the known problem condition while somebody primes the bulb continuously) is an easy way to check fuel pump, cracked fuel lines drawing air, worn rocker style fuel pump/electric fuel pump. Keep us posted.
I just replaced the fuel pump, which is a rocker type system typical with Kohler's, I'm wondering if maybe it was installed wrong. Good idea with the bulb to prime. I'm going to try it, and also I am going to look at the fuel lines and make sure no holes or anything. I made sure it wasn't vaper locking by insulating the fuel line so it isn't that. Now I'm just wondering what is up. I just got my engine tuned up and it ran really well for about three jobs then this happened today.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Would the machine running worse the higher the RPMs indicate anything?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I never have trusted the Kohler fuel pumps. My machine has one too but when it gets too hot in the van it doesn’t draw enough fuel. I mounted an electric pump under the van to solve the problem.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I never have trusted the Kohler fuel pumps. My machine has one too but when it gets too hot in the van it doesn’t draw enough fuel. I mounted an electric pump under the van to solve the problem.
I'm leaning towards that, taking it tomorrow to ask about this.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Try it with the waste tank lid off at full throttle too, just to see if it stumbles with no load.
Seems to run better with either constantly under load or no load at all. When it bounces between them, the machine struggles.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Seems to run better with either constantly under load or no load at all. When it bounces between them, the machine struggles.
That sounds like a govorner issue.

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
This is a long shot but my Boxxer was acting very similar. What it turned out to be was a obstruction in the exhaust.
20170929_144733.jpeg
20170929_144744.jpeg
20170929_144824.jpeg

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Definitely install a electric fuel pump to eliminate a fuel delivery issue.
Most Kohler engine fuel pumps benefit from the pressure boost of a secondary pump especially on long fuel runs from the vans tank.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Definitely install a electric fuel pump to eliminate a fuel delivery issue.
Most Kohler engine fuel pumps benefit from the pressure boost of a secondary pump especially on long fuel runs from the vans tank.
Im thinking your right.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Mechanic said it isn't a fuel issue bc my machine is actually getting to much fuel. The fuel is being shot out of the carb

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Jim, would you happen to know what size coupler a 25 HP chemtex would have on it? I think I remember you saying you have one

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Update: mechanic had to do something with the carburator. Might of rebuild it or put a new one on. I didn't hear him good on the phone. Basically bad carburator. Hopefully this fix works.