Show question | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Show question

CleanSteamNY

Feb 5, 2016
Real Name
Todd Raymond
Business Location
United States
I am looking to participate in our local home show and expect to have traffic to the show of about 30k people. I have a 10x10 booth next to the SPCA booth ( everyone visiting there will have pets and many will have kids or grandkids!) And I will be capitalizing on that. I have a pet odor eliminator giveaway for everyone that adopts a pet and also will be using a free spotter campaign for everyone that schedules or gives info.
My question is -. With attendance of 30k and a team that is not afraid to work the aisles and engage people how many spotter bottles can I expect to give out. I would like to think I should give out 29k bottles and be able to add a couple more trucks to my company but I have been doing sales long enough I am hopeful to give away a couple hundred bottles for the leads. I don't want to spend hundreds on spotter only to have a year's supply but do not want to run out either.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using TMF Forums mobile app

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I did home shows for many years but in a much smaller community. We got closer to 2500 attending.

This is a SWAG based on my experience. We found the number of families represented was about 25% of the attendance, as there would be parents, kids, etc. I did not want to give out a freebie to everyone. Just one per household.

I also found that about 1/3 had rental property and were less likely to be customers unless they were about to move out and needed the deposit back. Another 50% simply did not want or need our services.

Using those percentages on your numbers comes out to about 1250 bottles of spotter to give to real prospects. I would always have a small overage to use in the future rather than running short.

Reactions: CleanSteamNY

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
That's a lot of bottles.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Home shows are mainly for the new wiz bang technology that's out, windows, landscaping, etc. I haven't seen many cleaners at these events.

That said I'd only engage the people that are really interested with free bottles that have all your company info on it. I'd think if you gave everyone a free bottle most would go in the trash, especially on the East coast where a good chunk of flooring has gone toward laminate and hardwoods.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I got asked today to partner up with our local Mendes Supply Rep and split a booth at a home show. It will be my first one too. The difference is that Im only targeting businesses, and I don't to any residential. Curious to see how it goes for you. Mine is in april.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
give out pens and magnets. bring your tablet or computer. download the spin the wheel app. set up a 1K feet carpet cleaned and protected as your big price. 1 sofa cleaning ( not the set) one FREE kitchen tile floor cleaned and sealed and the rest FREE spoter bottles. collect information and give prices all day. you will open 100's of doors.

If you run out of bottles, mail them or exchange for a bigger price. the deal is to get in that door

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Home shows are mainly for the new wiz bang technology that's out, windows, landscaping, etc. I haven't seen many cleaners at these events.

That said I'd only engage the people that are really interested with free bottles that have all your company info on it. I'd think if you gave everyone a free bottle most would go in the trash, especially on the East coast where a good chunk of flooring has gone toward laminate and hardwoods.
because we are stupid!

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I am looking to participate in our local home show and expect to have traffic to the show of about 30k people. I have a 10x10 booth next to the SPCA booth ( everyone visiting there will have pets and many will have kids or grandkids!) And I will be capitalizing on that. I have a pet odor eliminator giveaway for everyone that adopts a pet and also will be using a free spotter campaign for everyone that schedules or gives info.
My question is -. With attendance of 30k and a team that is not afraid to work the aisles and engage people how many spotter bottles can I expect to give out. I would like to think I should give out 29k bottles and be able to add a couple more trucks to my company but I have been doing sales long enough I am hopeful to give away a couple hundred bottles for the leads. I don't want to spend hundreds on spotter only to have a year's supply but do not want to run out either.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using TMF Forums mobile app
when I first came to the Houston area I rented a booth for the first five years, I did not give any chems away,, I had flyers and business cards,, I had a computer set up showing me cleaning carpets on the computer,,, my big thing was sign up for the big wheel spin,, I built a wheel of fortune wheel,, most of the slots ended up with candy given away which was a hit for the kids, I gave away whole house carpet cleans, tile and grout kitchen living room, deodorizing , scotchguard, I had a 25 bucks slot that never ever hit the entire time... in the five years, I gave away about 10 whole house carpet cleans, but what I gained was about 10k email addresses to send flyers too...
the last year I did it , I sold the wheel of fortune wheel for 600 bucks to another booth,, by then I didn't need to advertise that much anymore.

good luck

Reactions: CleanSteamNY

CleanSteamNY

Feb 5, 2016
Real Name
Todd Raymond
Business Location
United States
I got asked today to partner up with our local Mendes Supply Rep and split a booth at a home show. It will be my first one too. The difference is that Im only targeting businesses, and I don't to any residential. Curious to see how it goes for you. Mine is in april.
I will let you know how it goes. I expect to recieve some commercial work through this as well. I intend to be at the show early and be the last to leave a couple of the days and will be passing out my card, maybe coupon's and details to every vendor there. There are lots of stores, home builders, insurance agents, realtors, etc. all as a captive audience for me to market to. As long as I am not doing it on their time to market to their customers.