randyg6224

Jan 1, 2011
Green Bay, WI
www.newsolidsurfacecleaning.com
Real Name
Randy Grygiel
Business Location
United States
I've been watching and reading about the zipper wand for quite awhile now. I currently clean with a RotoVac PowerWand, RX-20 and a T-REX. I never have nor do I want to clean with a wand. But the zipper wand does look interesting. I'm interested in hearing from people who have used the zipper while owning any of the above rotaries. Comparisons? Thanks for your replies!

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Big and heavy like pushing a cement brick around , saw it and used it at the Ice Expo .

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
I started with a basic cheap wand. My first rotary was a rx20. It is a tank, and I loved the quality of flushing and agitation improvement over a wand. Then I got a 360i so I wouldn't have to carry so much weight up stairs. It was good, but not as sturdy built. I loved the 7" stair head for its ability to restore matted stairs. The downside of both of these is their inability to conform to uneven surfaces thus potentially leaving soaked areas. The trex residential head digs into residential carpet better than either of the other two, and the commercial head kills the other two brands in performance on uneven surfaces. The shortcoming for the trex is reliability. I have had multiple issues. Regardless of those issues I would not let go of my trex, and am looking for a second as backup because I hate life when it is broken.
I bought a 15" zipper at ICE, and got my first chance to play with it last Friday at my hardest restaurant. It did a great job flushing, but provided no agitation to clean out soy sauce spills (Chinese place). I have found that agitation is the key for me to remove salt based stains. I have a 16.5k sqft school cleaning coming up that I look forward to testing it out there.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
No REs but I have used a Zipper.
Plain and simple like the wand (and little to breakdown ) the Zipper at times will require some sort of agitation before hand.
On the other hand (from what I have seen) a RE will need a wand for corners and a rake for the swirl marks.
I have a 13 inch Zipper on order which will be mostly used for open residential and some smaller commercial jobs. 175 rotary for agtation where needed.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
We always agitate with our Cimex with brushes or pads depending on fiber. Hoping to save time on our restaurant accounts and open houses. Easier in the shoulders and arms while providing quality cleaning.
Exactly what I am hoping for . Easier on the arms and shoulders with the longer strokes or strides .

Reactions: randyg6224

chad9229

Jul 25, 2014
I was thinking about the Zipper also. But now I think using the 360i Carpet Brush head is this best option instead of spending the $2000 on the Zipper. Also, don't be so against using a wand. I was against it at first, but then I started agitating with the 360i first then going to a wand with plenty of dry stokes. It's the one two punch that is guaranteed that the carpet is cleaned.

Reactions: Cleanred

Cleanred

Sep 4, 2012
I was thinking about the Zipper also. But now I think using the 360i Carpet Brush head is this best option instead of spending the $2000 on the Zipper. Also, don't be so against using a wand. I was against it at first, but then I started agitating with the 360i first then going to a wand with plenty of dry stokes. It's the one two punch that is guaranteed that the carpet is cleaned.

Great post.

Reactions: Ablecarpet1980

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Might want to check out my new video on the Rotovac. Just saying.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Never bought it. I can probably find you one though if ya want.

Thanks I will pass your name on . However I have a 13 inch on order. I have used one b4 the rights were sold.
I realize that it is a wand and with a wand agitation will be required at times b4 using the Zipper. Erik will agree .
Yes the Hype of some the users is overboard and they neglect that they used agitation in many cases. Not unlike some REs.
Zipper like a RE is not for everyone.
For 2K I'll make it work for me !:D

Shane scaife

Aug 27, 2014
Real Name
Shane scaife
O my! Why would someone pay $2000 for that? What can it do so good? I've used RX, Roto, wand, power head, and so on. But what advantage does such a thing offer? Please educate me

Cleanred

Sep 4, 2012
O my! Why would someone pay $2000 for that? What can it do so good? I've used RX, Roto, wand, power head, and so on. But what advantage does such a thing offer? Please educate me

A ruptured disc, insurance deductible, MRI,and an epidural injection. Lol

Kinda kidding, but not really. I have had these issues following the use of the zioper, not all as a result but none the less. I actually found that a high flow wand walking backwards for 20' at a time is just as effective without the cost of another wand. The same can be said with my 360i. I call that the redneck zipper.

To each his own, just remember the feed back. May want to look at a few other forums for some additional reviews.

TechClean

Nov 16, 2009
Canada
www.cleantechsk.com
Real Name
Dustin
Business Location
Canada
^^ exactly what he said

search out active users that own it and other rotary extractors. Allot of people out that there that LOVE the tool.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have a school that I have been doing for the last 6 or 7 years....once you have done something that long..you pretty much already know your pattern and how long each building is going to take you....

One area I do is a Pre K building...there is always a lot of spills ..paint...and god knows what on these carpets.....also there is always a ton of sand being drug in...every year I would use my rotary and flush out these carpets...this last year I used a zipper and I will never put a rotary on a commercial carpet again...not only did it clean great but by the time I go to the last class room the first was already almost dry...not one single wicking problem and I saved almost a hour and a half on the job....zipper is a excellent tool ...very well made ad will last for years.......

PC290202_zps6d166a79.jpg

Mark Saiger

May 27, 2007
Grand Rapids, MN
Real Name
Mark Saiger
I have rotaries (Rotovax 360 XL and modified RX 20's) and Zippers....I like both, but the Rotary is slower...

I do agitate a lot of residential that I use the Zipper on.....and I also sometimes prescrub greasy restaurants as needed as well to break the first layer of grease. Some of the carpets I clean do not need major agitation though and the zipper really outshines a wand or rotary in those situations.

I find the Zipper faster than any other item I have used...and for dry times....I have not found anything that will beat it.

It is just selecting the correct tool that can help you be more efficient for the cleaning you do.

In this video, my son in law did not do dry passes, but after we did the final part of this video on the reveal around 5:20, he did go over the carpets with dry passes, so in actuality, it was not entirely twice as fast as the wanding that day....

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
"Bring on the Blue!"

Reactions: randyg6224

Cleanred

Sep 4, 2012
Absolutely the wand has a great performance and dry times are the best compared to a rotary or the wand. I have done a moisture test on both in a setting exactly like the one in the video. Which BTW is the perfect setting for the zipper. WIDE OPEN cleaning.

My biggest problem with the zipper was physical strain on pushing and pulling with a head of such weight. Also, it is difficult in smaller areas to maneuver like office buildings.

All the above comments are exactly true and accurate for the most part.

Maybe it takes longer than a month for a 35 years old to get him muscles to adjust. The back on the other hand, well.

Reactions: Mark Saiger