Should I buy a op machine?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 17, 2018
Real Name
Brian Manwarren
I am a VLM cleaner with a portable that doesn’t leave the van much.

I use a 175 with fiber pads/brush and then bonnets. I get good results but takes more work to get there. Would you guys buy a OP machine? Or keep the 175 and get a CRB?

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I bought one and then sold it a year or so later. It was not faster than a 175 and did not do a better job.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
i have 175 and op would love crb. i would probably lean towards crb than add op later op imo is easier too handle then 175

but i like 175 on tile vs op on tile. i can still make 175 dance on carpet but like op

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I agree with Mike. The OP will be a bit easier to handle but ultimately, is a fancier version of a 175. A CRB is a different machine entirely. Adding the CRB will have more impact on your cleaning than an OP will at this time.

Jul 17, 2018
Real Name
Brian Manwarren
So is the “op” only hype? I will say that it looks better when cleaning residential. 175 has no wow factor and it’s even worse when customer is used to fancy truck mounts

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
For VLM jobs we use;

Premium vacuum
IPS Sprayer
SuperCap w/oxy
CRB
Hos Vibe

Can’t be beat for efficiency, portability and clean-ability.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
My thoughts at this point as well. Very nice looking machine and that's important to me but 5k for it right now is not doable
In my opinion, the feature that really sets it apart is the sprayer/solution tank. But I can put one together for one of my machines for less than $300. Its got other neat features but after that sprayer its pretty much a shiny swing machine.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Lots of other things involved. To get the lower weight and the higher r.p.m. Think Porsche.
Unfortunately these things always cost more as do aluminum chassis and SS hardware
and a liquid lubricated gearbox. Wish I could sell it for less, but to get the top of the line
build components and features it cost me more to build so It sells for more.
One thing is for sure when you walk through the door with one of these your customers notice.
They don't see a ordinary janitors machine they see a high end carpet care machine that sets its owners apart from the crowd. But I understand about the investment, it not for everyone.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Your aware of AMG or Saleen. They take a a car a break parts of it down like the motor and rebuild it to meet their specs. I also do this. I buy a handle from Power Flight then spend a couple of hours to adapt it for my extra hardware, I pull the circuit breaker and add in a better unit and I do the sample for the rectifier taking the 35 amp that comes with the DC motor and throwing that one away when I install a 50 amp unit. Lots of little time consuming details to tweak out the max performance to your machine. I could install a cheap $20 power cord that the ground pin will break off in the first month but I choose to make a custom made cord with a hospital grade ground pin that is almost bullet proof. It cost me 3x more but I didn't make the MIni to be like everyone else I want to create something special.

Looking at a web pic I realize many of these details get lost.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
looks like it wouldnt work in offices or some homes how tall the motor is. how high does it sit?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i dont do vlm.....

but i do use a 175 floor scrubber and a CRB

for your purpose im with Rob get the CRB....

you know how the 175 is...you wont get better scrubbing power than the 175....
but that CRB can be pushed with 2 fingers......

easier than a vacuum cleaner.....

i just did a 60 room 3 story hotel....used the crb for scrubbing and HWE
great for lite to medium scrubbing power

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I used a 175 for janitorial and occasional carpet for 10 years. Bought an orbot vibe and sold all my 175s. I wouldn't say it cleans significantly better, just easier and a little faster for me. I use my crb more on hard surfaces.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I used a 175 for janitorial and occasional carpet for 10 years. Bought an orbot vibe and sold all my 175s. I wouldn't say it cleans significantly better, just easier and a little faster for me. I use my crb more on hard surfaces.
looks like to me you just push that orbot forward and backward on wheels...
instead of side to die...should save some labor....

so how would you rate the orbot compared to a 175 as far as labor comaprison????
cause it costs 2300$.......
6 times the price of a 175
https://www.excellent-supply.com/Orbot-Vibe--Orbital-Scrubber-_p_1123.html

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Your aware of AMG or Saleen. They take a a car a break parts of it down like the motor and rebuild it to meet their specs. I also do this. I buy a handle from Power Flight then spend a couple of hours to adapt it for my extra hardware, I pull the circuit breaker and add in a better unit and I do the sample for the rectifier taking the 35 amp that comes with the DC motor and throwing that one away when I install a 50 amp unit. Lots of little time consuming details to tweak out the max performance to your machine. I could install a cheap $20 power cord that the ground pin will break off in the first month but I choose to make a custom made cord with a hospital grade ground pin that is almost bullet proof. It cost me 3x more but I didn't make the MIni to be like everyone else I want to create something special.

Looking at a web pic I realize many of these details get lost.
I wouldn't argue the quality and worth of your machines. You built the Ferrari of floor machines there and who doesn't want to drive around in one of those. But at the end of the day, it's just a car, and as well built and awesome as it is, there is a reason I drive a Prius to the store and not a Ferrari.

Someday I hope I can buy your Ferrari, but for now, I've got 6 machines that are reliable, cost a lot less, and still do the same job, albeit with less flare.

Now if you sold that sprayer on there as a kit that could be fitted to most standard 175 machines, I'd feasibly buy one or two.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Hi Robert. I appreciate your comment. If your machines have adjustable spray and clean at the speed of mine than that is one thing. Most 175`s that spin over 20% slower do not have built in spray systems ( mine is the most advanced in the industry) Just not having the proper onboard sprayer almost doubles you cleaning time. So the mini shaves40% plus in time not having to prespray and spins over 20% faster also increasing cleaning speed.
They do require extra effort to operate but that comes with the reward of instant movement in any direction, not restricting you to a forward and back motion and being able to touch the baseboard something a CRB cannot do.

At the end of the day the machine has to be a great fit for the owner/user
I enjoy the look but also the feel of certain machines others are just a tools. Otherwise why spend the dollars on something special? If I have to use it for hours each day I want to be proud of it, show it off and enjoy it.
Earning a living from it is just assumed.

Last edited:

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
"looks like it wouldnt work in offices or some homes how tall the motor is. how high does it sit? "

Sorry this is big.
1533224882183.png

Jun 3, 2017
Goshen, Indiana
www.SafeChoiceCleaning.com
Real Name
Scott Reinhart
Business Location
United States
Hey Smtwn janitorial,
I too, have an office cleaning business. One of my larger clients asked for a carpet cleaning quote for 15,000 sf. I priced it at .20/sf and sold it. I hope I'm not too low?
I didn't want to tackle it with my portable, 175 and Oreck so I just ordered a Vibe. From your post, it seems I made a good purchase :)