Should I Advertise More or Less during Slow Months of Carpet Cleaning? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Should I Advertise More or Less during Slow Months of Carpet Cleaning?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Should I Advertise More or Less during Slow Months of Carpet Cleaning?
What do you all do?

Calgary Hog

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Tinnam
Well in Calgary it's different demography of clients during winter months. Regardless of courtesy doors when it is beyond -12 people don't want Carpet Cleaning done. Then the low ballers get active trying to reach out desperate Carpet cleaners to get discount Cleaning done.
We shall compare graph and see how it goes. Due to Covid there are restrictions on restaurants. I will go after commercial clients in winter.
But yes I personally don't put so much money in advertising business. Mostly they are repeat or referral.

Reactions: gordon qian

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I actually keep most of my advertising. If no one else is advertising its a great way to have some market penetration.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
heres the thing. If you go to any marketing class or read a marketing book it will say that the key to marketing is to be CONSISTENT that means to market when your slow and (yes) market when your busy. The hardest part is to market when your busy.

I remember when we were with Service Team of Professionals (Mack Clark). We made routes to visit insurance agents and adjusters. We visited their office on the same day of the month at the same time of the day - like clockwork. After awhile they KNOW when your coming which is actually the point, they can count on you to show up because you are consistent. Even if a water of fire damage claim came in the priority was Marketing.

which is exactly the opposite of what most of us do. if we get busy, marketing takes a back seat because the sale is more important. Why do we do that? Because we dont take the TIME to PLAN our marketing strategy. But thats Time Management, a whole subject in itself.

ServiceLifter

Jan 10, 2021
Real Name
Schieler Mew
Wonderful topic,

All in all we advertise more during small seasons. Why? If we think of marketing as a pie that is equal to the total population in any area that needs carpet cleaning or other services, it is finite. You can't make the pie bigger during slow seasons so you have to increase your slice of the pie to get the jobs from anyone who is inquiring.

This is how our team looks at it anyways.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I guess it also depends on your business model. Some here love it when things slow down so they can take a break, others it seems are more into commercial and contract cleanings. Maybe a good question to go along with it is "at what point did you realize that advertising maybe not needed to keep your business going?".
It almost seems the more trucks on the road then the need for advertising increases.
The local SS franchise here has been doing more than usual tv ads lately.