Should I add Air hog for Nautilus 5.7 Machine?

Discussion in 'Portable Carpet Cleaning' started by Jim Chen, May 13, 2017.

1. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello all! Am new here, I have Nautilus 5.7 198CFM about 6 months, and been using it about 4 months now, and been runing around 20-25meters hose, drying time is ok but I am actually looking for runing longer hose maybe another 10-15 meters, if I add an Air hog booster, would that work well? I now so far runing 20-25 meters is very tough now but I do more dry pass at same time, your suggestions would be a lot helpful! Many thanks! Jim

2. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Pa
    Ratings:
    +4,810 / 2 / -0
    Set vacs in machine to parallel and add booster. The 3 5.7 vacs will be at their limit with 100' or 30m of hose. I wouldnt use any more hose then that. And hose should be 2" diameter or guessing in metric 50 - 51mm. Lol i dont know metric well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. StevenB.

StevenB. Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Male
    Wheatland,Ca.
    Ratings:
    +3,344 / 13 / -0
    Could you swap out the 5.7s for two 8.4s?

4. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Because 10amp is the Max and safe in our country, but because I bought it from our local suppliers, sometimes I feel I can actually run 2 cords from one machine to get the better performance machine , but from what he said is 2 is illegal, 1 is safe~~otherwise I am ready keen on 8.4 or cross American

5. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am using 2inchs hose

6. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Active Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    The booster is a great way to add length and the closer to the wand the better. Remove hose as soon as you can and as you move back don't let the hoses get into coils, lay them out in as straightest lines as possible (sharp bends kill vacuum performance). IMO a great cleaner with good portable can out clean an good cleaner with a great truckmount.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I never thought about coils would effect the performance....

8. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    Pa
    Ratings:
    +4,810 / 2 / -0
    The booster will come in handy also if your working down stairs from the nautilus. You can put the booster downstairs with you to increase performance. As the vacuums wont need to work as hard getting waste water up hill. I always liked the idea of the airhog. Just never got around to purchasing one. StevenB above uses one. I always liked his setup.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, when you mean put the booster with me, does it mean I can just left the booster beside the machine? So far I have been left th machine outside of the door, and just pull the hose into the house, the hose so far are long enough to reach any areas, but I am more keen just left it by my van but it would add another 5-10 meters, that's why I am thinking have a booster and hope it could handle th length I need, it's pain that we don't have 8.4 or above 5.7" moto in here, and we only run one cord with the machine ... manually fill and damp so far, that's another reason why I keen on air hog because it has auto dump as well.

Many thanks.
    Jim

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luky

Luky Active Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Male
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +344 / 2 / -0
    Here we go again. Which portable is it? The one with a" strong, powerful " 150 Psi pump? And I believe, guys with a truck mounts should feel offended. They are all great cleaners, they didn't earn their truck mount by being mediocre performer, did they? Bit a strong statement, but you got my drift, right? We all can have our opinions, but the facts are gonna stay the same. Any truck mount will out clean any " muscle " portable unit. End of story. And yes, it's indisputable that booster will help, but question remains, how many times you have to move myriad of cords, hoses and booster itself to clean 8-10 K sqf of CGD with about 80 tables. VLM is not the answer, unless you want to incorporate moving all the tables around, including 400 chairs. So?

11. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Its 500psi one

12. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    Pa
    Ratings:
    +4,810 / 2 / -0
    You are or your electric is 220v isnt it? Of it it cross american makes it.

I ment by having booster next to you. Is if the main machine was upstairs and you were cleaning basement. You would want booster downstairs with you. Say like 50' from main unit to booster. Then 50' from booster to wand. Then when possible take away a section. I have on mine 50' 25' 25'. All flash cuffs. So i can quick pull hose off as i go. But you can place booster right next to machine if you want. Play around with it see which way works better for you.

13. Jim Chen

Jim Chen New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is 230 V international use, I agree with you last sentence, play around with it, haha thanks!

14. StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
    Male
    Wheatland,Ca.
    Ratings:
    +3,344 / 13 / -0
    As always, be it a firearm or in this case carpet cleaning equipment skill trumps equipment. It takes more skills and a bit more time with a porty but never assume a truckmount wins in a shootout. There are conditions like greasy restaurant carpets and hard surface cleaning where the combination of higher psi and flows matched with 200+ degree temps are favoring a good quality truckmount...Residential carpet and upholstery cleaning? It's a push if we are talking about the finished product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
    Male
    Wheatland,Ca.
    Ratings:
    +3,344 / 13 / -0
    We haven't had a decent truckmount vs porty for awhile but if someone searched the topic there is plenty to read. I'm not trying to start another one but porties seem to be making a comeback. I might end up with a truckmount but I'm not interested in an old beat up one. So the ones I would want are kind of out of my price range for now. If business justifies it, I will make the jump. I think I would go with a Judson matched with a lease turn in on one of the later model vans . There is supposed to be a huge glut of lease turn ins coming for the next few years. I hope to position myself to jump when I see something. A used 570SS is my second choice maybe a repo van included.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Active Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    I am one of those guys with a truckmount and I run a CDS (so it's at least a middle of the road TM). However I regularly use a portable and bonnet clean and have never felt because something is driven by a gas engine it's instantly better because it may process' more ft² per hour. There are plenty of profitable jobs in high rises here locally where a TM is not feasible or sometimes profitable to use and being well versed with other methods is a tremendous asset. I am definitely not starting a TM vs. portable war either, but I have "fixed" jobs with my portable that were cleaned with a TM the day before. Knowing the fiber type and having the proper chemicals for the soil type on that fiber is what will have the biggest impact IMO and "equipment type" last. These are just the opinions of a lifelong carpet cleaner and nothing more, so take it FWIW. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. kevinj6121

kevinj6121 Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Male
    North carolina
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Good equipment is important, but even more important is the person running the equipment, that's all i'm gonna say

18. Joe cool

Joe cool Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,515 / 12 / -0
    Good equipment takes care of you in the long run .
    Cheaply made stuff sucks and breaks .
    My TM is a true classic example of it . 25 year old Prochem , onan powered . CAM01616-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. kevinj6121

kevinj6121 Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Male
    North carolina
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Always helps to take care of your stuff, whatever stuff you have. You obviously take care of your stuff, 25 years and still going, that deserves a big thumbs up.
    Let that be a lesson to all of us

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kyle8

Kyle8 Active Member
    Top Poster of Month

Oct 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +233 / 5 / -0
    Air hogs are nice just makes sure to get them setup right