Spotless Flooring

May 9, 2013
Southeast Houston
spotlessflooring.com
Real Name
Daniel Provorse
Business Location
United States
I have been asked many times if I shampoo or steam clean carpets. I have been telling clients that they are one in the same but I feel I'm very wrong. I tell them that I apply a "shampoo" aka pre-spray bla bla bla then "steam clean".

How do you explain the difference between shampooing carpet and steam cleaning carpet?

I was posting Q/A for a new page on my website and ran into this problem.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Shampooing is what people did back in the 60's & 70's before truckmounts were widely available. You put down a high foam shampoo and scrubbed it in with a rotary and used a shop vac to extract. No rinsing as far as I know (I could be wrong here). Once the carpet was dry a couple days later it had to be vacuumed really good.

Encapsulation of today is a descendant of the old shampoo method.

And then of course steam cleaning is HWE.

Lots of consumers being un-educated often times still use the term "shampoo" in regards to having their carpets cleaned.

Reactions: lmullica

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Shampooing is what people did back in the 60's & 70's before truckmounts were widely available. You put down a high foam shampoo and scrubbed it in with a rotary and used a shop vac to extract. No rinsing as far as I know (I could be wrong here). Once the carpet was dry a couple days later it had to be vacuumed really good.

Encapsulation of today is a descendant of the old shampoo method.

And then of course steam cleaning is HWE.

Lots of consumers being un-educated often times still use the term "shampoo" in regards to having their carpets cleaned.
Nope they didnt rinse it. Your right. I remember those shampoo machines at my grandparents house. had 2 spinning brushes on the bottom and a tank. So, many older people still call it that. Term is even past down to some younger folks. it just sounds so good. They relate it to shampooing hair I guess.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I still tell peeps shampoo is like wasking your hair and not rinsing the shampoo out , so 1970s .

Reactions: Jeff Marek