groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
I have had several truckmounts in the last 15 years, I love cleaning tile & carpet, I love marketing, I love working on my website and seo. I hate dealing with truckmount repairs and maintenance. I am wondering how the service is in other parts of the country? The two closest repair facilities in my area are in excess of an hour drive each way. Either one I go to usually takes a week before they can even look at it, then they order parts, I get it back only to find the problems still exist and I have to bring it back again. When my car breaks down or it needs service, I drop it off in the morning and someone calls by noon and lets me know what the deal is and then quite often I can pick it up at the end of the day. What's the huge delay getting these machines worked on? Is there a truckmount mechanic shortage? I fix what I can, and change all my own fluids, belts, hoses, gaskets etc... but when I can't figure it out I have no choice to bring it somewhere, but I am loosing in excess of $1000 per day the van is out and it's frustrating because the repair shops seem to have no sense of urgency or they are just overwhelmed like I am.

My area is in desperate need of a full service supply and repair shop!

Done venting

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Never once have had to have a TM repaired in jon don or any other shop.

The longest the Judson was down was 4-5hrs while I rebuilt the Kohler which was super ez. That's worst case scenario.

Dont bother with the big name brand TMs unless they are relatively new and under warranty, then sell it around 3.5-4k hrs and get a fresh one.

Otherwise go with simple ez to work on units

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I have had several truckmounts in the last 15 years, I love cleaning tile & carpet, I love marketing, I love working on my website and seo. I hate dealing with truckmount repairs and maintenance. I am wondering how the service is in other parts of the country? The two closest repair facilities in my area are in excess of an hour drive each way. Either one I go to usually takes a week before they can even look at it, then they order parts, I get it back only to find the problems still exist and I have to bring it back again. When my car breaks down or it needs service, I drop it off in the morning and someone calls by noon and lets me know what the deal is and then quite often I can pick it up at the end of the day. What's the huge delay getting these machines worked on? Is there a truckmount mechanic shortage? I fix what I can, and change all my own fluids, belts, hoses, gaskets etc... but when I can't figure it out I have no choice to bring it somewhere, but I am loosing in excess of $1000 per day the van is out and it's frustrating because the repair shops seem to have no sense of urgency or they are just overwhelmed like I am.

My area is in desperate need of a full service supply and repair shop!

Done venting
Hour one way isnt that bad but i understand the frustration of waiting on them to fix it order parts etc. You have a couple options... learn to work on your stuff or open up a full service distributorship

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
Never once have had to have a TM repaired in jon don or any other shop.

The longest the Judson was down was 4-5hrs while I rebuilt the Kohler which was super ez. That's worst case scenario.

Dont bother with the big name brand TMs unless they are relatively new and under warranty, then sell it around 3.5-4k hrs and get a fresh one.

Otherwise go with simple ez to work on units

For the most part my machines are reliable and easy to work on, and I do most of it myself, but it seems it's the Kohler engines that are the biggest problem from oil leaks to a host of other issues.

Do you think having an engine mounted up high like this chief causes excess vibration, it seems this machine vibrates more than the el d?

I have been thinking of getting a Judson or a Butler next but I'm also considering retirement in about 5 years. Unsure if my son will want to continue.

IMG_20190626_144107_1 (1).jpg

IMG_20190626_144053 (1).jpg

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
The smooth one is the el d with a perfectly aligned coupler and the Chief II has belts and vibrates quite a bit.
If it was my machine id install some vibration isolators check the alignment and tension make sure their as close to perfect as you can get them and that should cut out alot of vibration

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Your chief machine is hanging of the foot well, that I think would contribute to some extra vibration with the motor being directly above...

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
For the most part my machines are reliable and easy to work on, and I do most of it myself, but it seems it's the Kohler engines that are the biggest problem from oil leaks to a host of other issues.

Do you think having an engine mounted up high like this chief causes excess vibration, it seems this machine vibrates more than the el d?

I have been thinking of getting a Judson or a Butler next but I'm also considering retirement in about 5 years. Unsure if my son will want to continue.

View attachment 92579

View attachment 92578
Ya it does kinda seem the tall skinny design wouldn't be super stable... but Kohlers do vibrate.

The most common oil leaks are from the rebreather and the oil filter vibrating loose.

The rebreather is a super ez fix and when you change oil just give the filter an extra 1/4 turn with wrench after hand tighten. If you just hand tighten it will leak after a while.

Reactions: groutguy