Series/Parallel Test

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Interesting though, a buddy of mine who owns a company just called because hes pissed his techs didnt inform him a waste tank float wasn't working and it caused debris to plug up the HX and may possibly damage the blower...

Pump was also leaking oil and has traces of graphite in it. Also needs a new drive shaft. This is all for a Hydramaster 4.8 CDS with Salsa, over 4,000 hours on it.

Couple other issues were also found, Jon Don wants $5,000 to repair it all.

Do you go with the with the $5,000 or say screw it and get a 370 Slide In?
Depends - how old is the van? It can be a bit expensive to "un-marry" a direct-drive unit if you intend to use the same van for a slide-in.

More importantly, how many more working hours can he reasonably expect from the unit? If it has another 5,000 hours left in it, it's well worth repairing. But if other issues are present that will shorten its lifespan - which is likely given the lackadaisical attitude of the employee - it may be better to scrap both unit AND tech and start over fresh on both accounts.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Depends - how old is the van? It can be a bit expensive to "un-marry" a direct-drive unit if you intend to use the same van for a slide-in.

More importantly, how many more working hours can he reasonably expect from the unit? If it has another 5,000 hours left in it, it's well worth repairing. But if other issues are present that will shorten its lifespan - which is likely given the lackadaisical attitude of the employee - it may be better to scrap both unit AND tech and start over fresh on both accounts.
I agree! How many miles on the rig and how much oil do the "angels" drink per week? Machine hours and hard van motor hours are 2 different things!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Has 105,000 miles on the van itself, a little over 4,000 hours on the Hydramaster.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Has 105,000 miles on the van itself, a little over 4,000 hours on the Hydramaster.
I'd throw money at that! I'd also sort out those issues on a weekend for 1/5 the price tag Jon Don wants, including the new drive shaft if that's even the issue. I have reservations that it's shot at 4000 hours unless nobody did anything around the equipment from day one.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
From what I'm told its rusted around the U Joint. They actually have already had a drive shaft break on this van once before.

The biggest issue is the waste tank float was broken and tech kept allowing tank to overfill which has put debris into the HX and clogged it, along with the blower itself.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
From what I'm told its rusted around the U Joint. They actually have already had a drive shaft break on this van once before.

The biggest issue is the waste tank float was broken and tech kept allowing tank to overfill which has put debris into the HX and clogged it, along with the blower itself.
Surface rust on a u-joint ain't but a thing. The tech killed the machine that pays his salary and should be let go immediately. The blower can be disassembled, inspected and either cleaned or rebuilt for 5 bills. The salsa can be cleaned for a couple hours of time and probably fix the blower issues IMO. Blowers can pass all kinds of junk and work, but they have to be able to aspirate or they will load the driveshaft and give more serious symptoms than an actual cleaning will fix. Just my .02

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Well I can send you the diagnostics Jim if you want to look it over.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
If you guys don't want to believe me that's fine, yesterday I cleaned a mosque about 1300 sqft carpeted area, took me exactly 2 hours, the very front till middle was already dry, 2 15amp cords, 400 psi 02 5 jets mytee Bentley. Just 2 cords. Why do I need a gas tm?
Was that your total time with setup? Or just the time cleaning?

Either way impressive. I need to get faster for sure.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Was that your total time with setup? Or just the time cleaning?

Either way impressive. I need to get faster for sure.
Total time with set up and tidy up. I average an hour per 1000 sq with the banquet halls that I do every 6 months using the big T-Rex. A 6000 sqft takes me about 6 hours. I can't go faster then that, any one finishes a 6000 sqft less then 6 hours I don't know how they do it and not sure how much they clean it properly, they are hacks.