Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
Do you sell online using eBay Craigslist or other online sites like ? Beware of people these days offering cashiers checks for your item.. I only do cash or Paypal for this reason .. I wanted to show you how someone was trying to scam me and share info about this scam. I did report buyer to the site before he gets away with this.. Don't sound right it's Not right .
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1454866432.069948.jpg

THE SCAM: CRAIGSLIST PAYMENTS

This one is more common than the others,In this scam, you’re selling an item on Craigslist or a similar online site. The buyer pays with a cashier’s check, takes your item and is long gone before you realize the check isn’t good.

How to avoid it: This one is relatively simple: Don’t take a bank check from someone you don’t know. If you must, ask the buyer to go with you to the bank that issued the check. A teller should be able to say if the check is good and the funds are available.

Signs of fraud
Your best defense is to be cautious about accepting a cashier’s check in the first place. But if you have received a check and want to know whether it’s good, the eye test” can tell you a lot. If it’s black and white or looks like it’s been photocopied or printed on a cheap color printer, it’s fraudulent.

If a cashier’s check has a blank space for the payee, don’t accept it. These instruments have to be made out to a specific person or organization when they’re issued, so the payee can’t be filled in later.

How to protect yourself
Prevention is the best strategy. If you’re suspicious, call the issuing bank to verify that the check is genuine — but don’t call the number printed on the check. If the check itself is phony, that number probably is, too. Instead, look up the contact information for the bank online and use the phone number listed there.

If you must take a check, wait several days after you deposit it before trying to use the funds. Sometimes your bank will make the money available to you even before the check has cleared, so if you spend that money right away, you could be in trouble if the check bounces.

If you’re victimized
If it happens to you, report the crime immediately to the companies involved — the bank where you deposited the check, the one that supposedly issued the check, the operator of the site or service where you met the person who gave you the check — and the FTC. You should also call your state attorney general’s office and the U.S. Postal Service if you got the check through the mail.

Cashier’s check fraud is dangerous partly because it’s not an everyday occurrence; that means you may not be guarding against it. If you do decide to accept a check, make sure you’re smart about how you verify it.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Honestly don't understand how people can be dumb enough to fall for this stuff. Obviously people do though because these guys wouldn't still be trying...

The other issue with craigslist is who and where you meet people. I won't let my daughter meet people to buy or sell something without me there...to many wackos out there

Dirty Deeds

Oct 22, 2015
Real Name
Corey Houston
some sellers prefer cashiers check's. when I purchased my van I wasn't gonna travel with the cash and was gonna get multiple money orders and the seller said cashiers check so I went with that. it was a bit of a hassle and the bank couldn't verify it on the spot. He took a leap as I did, and it worked out I had the receipt for the cashiers check my bank could verify the funds but his had a counterfeit department that wasn't working on the weekend of the day I bought it. but lets say I was a fraud there's enough out there. I drove away in the van and all he had was a check that couldn't be cleared for 3 weeks.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Do you sell online using eBay Craigslist or other online sites like ? Beware of people these days offering cashiers checks for your item.. I only do cash or Paypal for this reason .. I wanted to show you how someone was trying to scam me and share info about this scam. I did report buyer to the site before he gets away with this.. Don't sound right it's Not right .View attachment 59966

THE SCAM: CRAIGSLIST PAYMENTS

This one is more common than the others,In this scam, you’re selling an item on Craigslist or a similar online site. The buyer pays with a cashier’s check, takes your item and is long gone before you realize the check isn’t good.

How to avoid it: This one is relatively simple: Don’t take a bank check from someone you don’t know. If you must, ask the buyer to go with you to the bank that issued the check. A teller should be able to say if the check is good and the funds are available.

Signs of fraud
Your best defense is to be cautious about accepting a cashier’s check in the first place. But if you have received a check and want to know whether it’s good, the eye test” can tell you a lot. If it’s black and white or looks like it’s been photocopied or printed on a cheap color printer, it’s fraudulent.

If a cashier’s check has a blank space for the payee, don’t accept it. These instruments have to be made out to a specific person or organization when they’re issued, so the payee can’t be filled in later.

How to protect yourself
Prevention is the best strategy. If you’re suspicious, call the issuing bank to verify that the check is genuine — but don’t call the number printed on the check. If the check itself is phony, that number probably is, too. Instead, look up the contact information for the bank online and use the phone number listed there.

If you must take a check, wait several days after you deposit it before trying to use the funds. Sometimes your bank will make the money available to you even before the check has cleared, so if you spend that money right away, you could be in trouble if the check bounces.

If you’re victimized
If it happens to you, report the crime immediately to the companies involved — the bank where you deposited the check, the one that supposedly issued the check, the operator of the site or service where you met the person who gave you the check — and the FTC. You should also call your state attorney general’s office and the U.S. Postal Service if you got the check through the mail.

Cashier’s check fraud is dangerous partly because it’s not an everyday occurrence; that means you may not be guarding against it. If you do decide to accept a check, make sure you’re smart about how you verify it.

Sent from my iPad
I ONLY sell my BODY on EBay..No Takers Yet & My AZZ is FREEE!

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Honestly don't understand how people can be dumb enough to fall for this stuff. Obviously people do though because these guys wouldn't still be trying...

The other issue with craigslist is who and where you meet people. I won't let my daughter meet people to buy or sell something without me there...to many wackos out there

Does your town have a buy/sell meet up place? My town does, I'm an admin on a FB classifieds group and let people know to meet up at the town hall to make transactions if they feel uncomfortable having someone come/go to their house.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I like the one about they have 15, 10x14 area rugs that needs to be cleaned. As soon as he said something about shipping to my rug plant a red flag came up. The total was $8400.00 I asked for his credit card info, he gave me some legit looking numbers, but it was to easy! Nobody gives there cc info out that easy. I told him he sucked as scamming and I said people who do that goes straight to HELL! I said you need to quit!