Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
A question I ask myself every day. I often think how much easier it would be to just work for someone else.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
A question I ask myself every day. I often think how much easier it would be to just work for someone else.
My old boss used to tell me "you think you got problems now, wait till you go in business for yourself".

Madenman

Oct 12, 2016
Real Name
Robert Cotton
I prefer working for someone else. I can be a good cleaner and trainer and not get distracted by so many things. At a large company running crews you can still make ~80k-90k not as much as a very successful O/O but nothing to scoff at.

Reactions: rob allen

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
How do you measure success?

Is it a relatively stress free life orchestrated how you designed it on your time or are you a slave to managing people and chasing the dollar? Only you can answer that question.

I suffer from appointment time stress from 7 am to 3 pm and then I don't worry about anything until 7 am unless I'm fishing... In that case it's when I turn my phone back on.

Reactions: rob allen

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
How do you measure success?

Is it a relatively stress free life orchestrated how you designed it on your time or are you a slave to managing people and chasing the dollar? Only you can answer that question.

I suffer from appointment time stress from 7 am to 3 pm and then I don't worry about anything until 7 am unless I'm fishing... In that case it's when I turn my phone back on.
Taking away any stress from getting appointments, that's my Gm's responsibility( got everything covered until 12/19) and you can picture my smiley face.
" How do you measure success " was my phrase @Jim Davisson but I didn't trade marked it , so you're free to use it anytime you like, haha.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with 9-5 work. Remember the phrase? Small business is the backbone of our economy. I think, we got it all wrong. We should cherish those people with one , two, in some cases three jobs lined up. The're the backbone of our economy, IMO. It's not always about ends meet, different individuals have a different needs. For example, my son works in transportation logistics , nice salary, benefits , 3 weeks vacay. Still , on weekends he takes bartending gigs. It's great way to meet new girls, get buzzed for free and sometimes , money's not bad.
Being self employed has it's perks( a lot) but comes with a lot of responsibilities also, such short and long term planning, medical expenses, taxes, more taxes and " disability" plan , etc.
Two thumbs up for self employment , 3 if I didn't have to do it hands on style, but I'm working on that too.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Taking away any stress from getting appointments, that's my Gm's responsibility( got everything covered until 12/19) and you can picture my smiley face.
" How do you measure success " was my phrase @Jim Davisson but I didn't trade marked it , so you're free to use it anytime you like, haha.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with 9-5 work. Remember the phrase? Small business is the backbone of our economy. I think, we got it all wrong. We should cherish those people with one , two, in some cases three jobs lined up. The're the backbone of our economy, IMO. It's not always about ends meet, different individuals have a different needs. For example, my son works in transportation logistics , nice salary, benefits , 3 weeks vacay. Still , on weekends he takes bartending gigs. It's great way to meet new girls, get buzzed for free and sometimes , money's not bad.
Being self employed has it's perks( a lot) but comes with a lot of responsibilities also, such short and long term planning, medical expenses, taxes, more taxes and " disability" plan , etc.
Two thumbs up for self employment , 3 if I didn't have to do it hands on style, but I'm working on that too.

For me it's the known unknowns (so Rumsfeldian) and the add ons every jobs has on a tightly booked schedule that eats into your appointment times. I only promise one start time a day, the first job, the rest are windows. Summer is the worst for us and that's why my brother and I run one van together. It sounds dumb, but we do good sales and no rescheduling in the hottest months splitting up the work load. Not for everyone, but $750-$1k a day and home by 4 pm isn't terrible.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I agree with the above. You gotta like what your doing.

Personally, I could never work for someone else. Been running my own businesses out of high school. Its the only way to get paid what your really worth.

Reactions: Luky

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
For me it's the known unknowns (so Rumsfeldian) and the add ons every jobs has on a tightly booked schedule that eats into your appointment times. I only promise one start time a day, the first job, the rest are windows. Summer is the worst for us and that's why my brother and I run one van together. It sounds dumb, but we do good sales and no rescheduling in the hottest months splitting up the work load. Not for everyone, but $750-$1k a day and home by 4 pm isn't terrible.
I'm positive that many can learn from you how to operate business, including myself. To be able to enjoy what you do and make good money, priceless. Way to go. Summer is still young.....

Reactions: Jim Davisson

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly

Everyone’s definition of success is going to be different but you’ve always got to be careful trying to push too far.. case and point.
63aa8c6726263c723ad218ee9ff1edbb.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What boss, I thought you started in carpet cleaning industry after junior high...
I worked at a vacuum cleaner chain before venturing out on my own.

Reactions: Luky

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I've worked in several industries, from restaurants, grocery stores, a large hospital...

Work for yourself. My experience is you are always a slave when you work for someone else whether you like it or not. Shit always rolls downhill...and if you're good at shoveling shit they will send you more shit. Meanwhile the guy at the top makes all the profit.

I'd rather be the owner shoveling shit and collecting profit.

Reactions: Dannobrown