Canada
Real Name
bob
Business Location
Canada
Customers often ask how long sealer lasts . I tell them it depends
On traffic and type of sealer used.
What do you tell customers?
What are some general maintenance tips for customers?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Some of the cheap sealers may need to be re-applied every year but most professional ones will last for at least 3 years and probably longer. Some sealers say they last 20 years but that is under ideal conditions and I would never go that long without re-sealing. As a general rule I tell my customers to have their grout professionally cleaned every year and re-sealed every 3-5 years. Tell customers not to use acid based cleaners when they clean their floors as acid will weaken the sealer (this includes not using vinegar). A good neutral or alkaline cleaner is best. A good cleaner for the homeowner to use is some blue dawn dish soap.

Reactions: ffej and matt30577

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Clear seal I tell them 3-5 years. If you "flood" the grout lines and use a top grade sealer that is very realistic

Color seal I tell them it has a 15 year product life. That is what the product I use (Spectrum) states on their bottle. I am clear that doesn't mean I will come out 10 years later and reseal their floor. It just means the product is designed to last 15 years. I go on to tell them I know of floor that were color seal 20 years ago that are still holding up today (I do)

Reactions: ffej
Dec 14, 2008
OH
grouterra.com
Real Name
Mike Skala
Business Location
United States
A good clear sealer may last 3-5 years under routine, homeowner cleaning but are pretty much gone after a good professional cleaning and should be reapplied. A pro clean implies strong chemicals, high heat & pressure, and even the low end of a pro clean kills a clear seal.

Avoid silane/siloxane clear sealers for interior use. They are great at repelling water but can attract dirt and cause some organic stains to set harder than they would to an unsealed grout or stone. Stay with a fluoropolymer sealer inside.

This also points out why a color seal is more economical in the long run. The annual pro clean is much easier (cheaper) and a full re-application of sealer is never required.

The less the customer mops the floor the better as it just builds up dirt in the grout lines. Dawn detergent is fine for spot cleaning a spill but for routine mopping the homeowner will invariably mix it too strong and leave a soap film. Generic window cleaner, diluted into mop water is a better choice.

Reactions: FastFinish

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Traffic and cleaning with the wrong products shorten the life of a sealer.

I advice them to use entry mats, sweep or dust mop regularly. When cleaning use a neutral or mildly alkaline cleaner with no solvents. Many techs will include a gallon of a good cleaning product in the price and leave that with the customer. You can sell them more later when they need it. Spinergy Vivid would be a good product to leave with the customer for cleaning. Stonetech also has a good leave behind cleaner, but they can also buy it at the big box stores like Lowes / Home Depot.

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
Clear seal I tell them 3-5 years. If you "flood" the grout lines and use a top grade sealer that is very realistic

Color seal I tell them it has a 15 year product life. That is what the product I use (Spectrum) states on their bottle. I am clear that doesn't mean I will come out 10 years later and reseal their floor. It just means the product is designed to last 15 years. I go on to tell them I know of floor that were color seal 20 years ago that are still holding up today (I do)

Where can I purchase this Spectrum product?

Stone Pro

Nov 7, 2012
Real Name
Rob Fairfield
Customers often ask how long sealer lasts . I tell them it depends
On traffic and type of sealer used.
What do you tell customers?
What are some general maintenance tips for customers?

Stone Pro chemists have worked tirelessly over the past decade to formulate our unique Hybrid Carrier Technology with Advanced Fluoropolymer Protectant. This unequaled technology carries the fluoropolymer molecules in Stone Pro sealer deeply into the stone strengthening the surface and providing a strong barrier to/for both water and oil based stains.

The difference behind Stone Pro sealers is truly evident in our unique Hybrid Carrier Technology. Without a Hybrid Carrier like most water based sealers, the sealer will not penetrate deep into the stone leaving you with a less effective, short lived, seal on your natural stone. Stone Pro’s Advanced Fluoropolymer Protectant is suspended in a Water/Solvent carrier that drives the sealer deep into the stone or masonry surface. Stone Pro sealers far outperform water only based sealers and equal even the strongest solvent based sealers all while staying within the most strict Volatile Organic Compound (V.O.C.) regulations.

Ultimate Pro on granite is a one time deal. Because other stones react to acid and are softer the sealer life is between three and five years.

Reactions: fresh1