Scientific 370ss MAJOR water useage | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Scientific 370ss MAJOR water useage

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
I did a little searching, and couldn't really find anything so here it goes:

I have 3 butlers, and one Sapphire Scientific 370 ss. They are all very comparable so I have no issues really with any. The one "complaint" is this sapphire takes longer to heat up, but still typically I can be pumping 220 degrees within about 10 minutes of turning the machine on. First job of the day, we just fire it up, go inside vac etc, flush the lines and move.

Any way, moving on!

I have cleaned both with heat and without on this particular unit. While this isn't a heat discussion, it is the base. When I have the machine running with no heat, I can easily get through a day with one tank of water (110 gallons). Sometimes, I bet depending on size I could go two days.

With heat however I am PLOWING through water. To put it in perspective, I had a fresh tank of water, got to a house, did 3 BR ( some minor flushing of urine) and the waste tank was full, shut off machine, etc. (75 gallons) and my fresh water tank went from full to probably about 15-20 gallons left. So it was super embarrassing having to dump and fill up just to finish this job. I mean I was maybe running for 1.5 hours total, and the water was gone.

When I bought the machine someone told me that it bypasses hot water when the heat is turned on into the waste tank, to maintain temps. I am hoping someone can confirm this, and tell me where that hose would be. I would rather route it back into my fresh water tank, thus not filling up and running out of water just because I am using heat.

I know this isn't normal, because in comparison, those butlers run with 200 degree water all day long, and I have never ran out of water, nor filled my waste tank.

Thanks!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Probably what Jim said. Its simply the thermal relief in the hot water box.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Do like Jim said and replace the thermo valve.

Do not route the heat bypass back to the fresh water tank. I know some guys do but it’s extremely risky. It’s not so bad when the fresh tank is full but as you get closer to empty you will be heating up the water in the fresh tank to the point that the water in the fresh tank is over 165 and when that happens you have lost your “cooling” abilities. Your water will continue to get hotter and hotter and you will damage the pump.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
It’s the thermo valve!!!
The cat version is much cheaper than the SS version
If you go the Cat you may also need a brass thread adapter!

Reactions: Jim Davisson

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I did bypass my thermo valve to my fresh water tank years ago. I have the 85 gallon tank. It greatly reduced the amount of water I use and how fast the waste tank fills up. If you do it you need to make sure your fresh water doesn't get too low EVER. Top it off if it's getting low. The water in there can get hot enough to mess your fresh water pump up. Don't ask me how I know that. Still, on my particular machine, it's worked very well for me and I'd never go back to how it was before. I don't know if it's advisable for your machine. You do have a much larger freshwater tank so I would reason that would be an advantage unless you let it get really low. Then your fresh water pump will either shut off from overheating or go out completely. Then your dead w/o water.

Another problem you will run into doing that is if you do ever hook up for water at the site the thermo valve will still be dumping water into your fresh water tank and cause it to overflow right out into the customer's driveway and maybe into your van if you don't have an overflow protection like I do. My overflow is simply a fitting near the top of the tank and a hose comes off it going through the van floor in case the float valve in the tank fails.

Reactions: Cowboyjones

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
As others said, Check your thermal relief valve. Call me and I can walk you through it. 800-932-3030 and I am at extension 4819, or you can get me on my cell at 253-651-3468

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
Let me tel you what is frustrating:
I’ve been checking this website religiously for weeks and haven’t had any notifications so assumed no one responded! It was a blessing to log into this tonight and find this thread and see your reviews!

I did get talked into buying a thermal relief valve. I have no interest in running my bypass to the fresh tank as I feel it will mess more stuff up. I’m going to install the new thermal valve probably tomorrow and test out water use this week.

Does anyone have experience using the new retrofit kit and is it lower on the water use?

I’ve also decided to replace my cold water pump because I think that is causing my other leak out of the heat exchanger box due to failed check valves.

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
As others said, Check your thermal relief valve. Call me and I can walk you through it. 800-932-3030 and I am at extension 4819, or you can get me on my cell at 253-651-3468
Thank you Justin. I would just love for this machine to run good and stop going through water.