Saw An Example Of How The "Total Package" Makes A Huge Difference | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Saw An Example Of How The "Total Package" Makes A Huge Difference

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I don't ever think about competitors and spend all my time focused on my company and what I can control. I learned this from 10 years of being a Director in Corporate America. However, I was amazed and pleasantly surprised when I ran into a competitor while I was having some tires replaced on one of my E150 at a tire shop.

I saw a plain white -dirty van with Custom Carpet on it's side. I walked over and said - hey when kind of Truck Mount you got? The two guys looked at me kind of funny and the one with less teeth said "Ah, yah - it's a truck mount - we don't use no porty." I could barely understand them - I said - no - you got Chemtex - or a Prochem.. you know... He said it's just a Kohler and seemed kind of angry. I looked at their clothes - ratty jeans and t-shirts and said you guys working today? "Yup" I tried to introduce myself but the guy was pretty rude - so I just asked how long did he work for them - he said I's the owner and this mah cousin. Anyway I wished a good hillbilly day and left.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that they seemed to represent everything that this forum preaches against. They:
  • Didn't know shit about their own equipment
  • Dressed like shit
  • Talked like they had shit in their mouth
  • Didn't clean their vehicle
This reminded me how important the system I follow is:
  • Uniforms - black cargo pants + black logo shirt - black non-marking boots
  • I know my equipment and so do my guys
  • I can communicate reasonably well
  • Our vehicles are clean and well maintained
  • We use Truck Mounts (and I guess they do too)
It's a relief that many of my competitors might be on the rough side - or very rough side. If everybody was on this forum and as intense as some these guys (on the forum) I would probably have never even opened my doors! :D

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That er, um, stuff in their mouth was probably chewin tabacca. He would'n't even spit for you. :p

Presidential Cleaning

Nov 13, 2008
The White House
www.presidentialcleaningtn.com
Real Name
Zac
Business Location
United States
I don't ever think about competitors and spend all my time focused on my company and what I can control. I learned this from 10 years of being a Director in Corporate America. However, I was amazed and pleasantly surprised when I ran into a competitor while I was having some tires replaced on one of my E150 at a tire shop.

I saw a plain white -dirty van with Custom Carpet on it's side. I walked over and said - hey when kind of Truck Mount you got? The two guys looked at me kind of funny and the one with less teeth said "Ah, yah - it's a truck mount - we don't use no porty." I could barely understand them - I said - no - you got Chemtex - or a Prochem.. you know... He said it's just a Kohler and seemed kind of angry. I looked at their clothes - ratty jeans and t-shirts and said you guys working today? "Yup" I tried to introduce myself but the guy was pretty rude - so I just asked how long did he work for them - he said I's the owner and this mah cousin. Anyway I wished a good hillbilly day and left.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that they seemed to represent everything that this forum preaches against. They:
  • Dressed like shit
It's a relief that many of my competitors might be on the rough side - or very rough side. If everybody was on this forum and as intense as some these guys (on the forum) I would probably have never even opened my doors! :D
I'm a firm believer in appearance. You are judged by appearance constantly wether you realize it or not. Not only when your working but while your standing in lines, at the gym, pumping gas, etc. Your appearance tells a lot about you as a person...which can affect your business.

If you dress like crap and present yourself like crap, customers usually receive crap quality. If you take the time to groom not only your appearance, but your vocabulary as well, business will treat you better!

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Man sounds like the crew I seen at Barker Hammer ( interlink )
in Edina Minnesota ( Minneapolis area) . These guys didnt have a full set of teeth between them and it looked like they wore their work shirts two weeks straight!
And oh my god the van was FILTHY . I was going to take a picture of the van and them but thought fu@k it!
Popped into this supply house for a boo while the wife and kids were shopping at The Mall of America.
Didnt even bother trying to strike up a conversation with them!
I did drop a few hundred on some items though, nice place and good service.
Wish we had something like this in my province of Manitoba Canada.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I bet job interviewers have similar stories to tell. From the first day I started I always wore an embroidered uniform with my name and and my company name on it. Perception and professionalism is key to building a big and successful business. These guys were rejects that nobody would hire so they started their own business. I doubt they last long and they will be wondering why.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
To top it off they probably get some gubnut money for a start up company for displaced (laid off) $hit heads from another industry. So essentially your taxes helped fund your competitor.

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States

• Dressed like shit

I wonder how many times perception doesn't meet reality. I had a roof put on by some guys that I swear came from a traveling circus. They were surprisingly amazing at there job. The guys weren't dressed in a uniform or perfectly groomed.

Maybe these guys were great at cleaning carpet? Some people have no idea how to socialize with other people, but handle there profession quite well. I can buy a brand new wrapped van, all the proper tools, and advertise as a electrician. That doesn't mean I know sh!t about wiring a house..

Sorry for my little rant, but I have a pet peeve about judging workmanship on appearance, a dirty van, or truckmount knowledge

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I wonder how many times perception doesn't meet reality. I had a roof put on by some guys that I swear came from a traveling circus. They were surprisingly amazing at there job. The guys weren't dressed in a uniform or perfectly groomed.

Maybe these guys were great at cleaning carpet? Some people have no idea how to socialize with other people, but handle there profession quite well. I can buy a brand new wrapped van, all the proper tools, and advertise as a electrician. That doesn't mean I know sh!t about wiring a house..

Sorry for my little rant, but I have a pet peeve about judging workmanship on appearance, a dirty van, or truckmount knowledge
This is true. I wasn't judging their ability to clean. I was just noticing their inability to communicate and present theirselves.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
This is true. I wasn't judging their ability to clean. I was just noticing their inability to communicate and present theirselves.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

If they are the best cleaners in your area, would you still be relieved that your van, uniforms, and people skills were better?

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States

Tell the truth, were you the cousin or the owner that Jim Ellis met?

On a serious note, I had a pipe leaking at the front of my house, over a year ago. 3 big companies with fancy vans/trucks either failed (tried to fix it but made it worse) or wouldn't even try, claiming the entire house needed to be re-piped. The next guy hobbled over with a faded car, straight off Craig's List and fixed it the right way, using hand tools (not jackhammer) and soldering on new fittings rather than using Shark Bites. It has been holding up for over a year now and saved me some $2500.

I sometimes look at fancy vans/setups as a lot of overhead and the constant need to increase the ticket as much as possible. Personally, I keep my vans looking great, inside and out but in the end, these things can work for you or against you, depending on past experiences the patrons may have had.