Sapphire Scientific Pro 1200 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Sapphire Scientific Pro 1200

BrandonE

Sep 11, 2016
Real Name
Brandon Evans
I want to buy a new truck mount in the near future. It's a toss between the Sapphire Scientific Pro 1200 and a Butler System. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Kyle8

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
What do butlers cost now days? I ever see pricing for them dont want to call and get a sales pitch.

BrandonE

Sep 11, 2016
Real Name
Brandon Evans
The Hydramaster CDS is ok, but it's close to the same price as the Butler; more if you add the salsa package

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The Hydramaster CDS is ok, but it's close to the same price as the Butler; more if you add the salsa package
HM CDS. More heat, power and room than the others.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Just bought a Butler. Yes there are other more powerful and heated machines out there but it was their reputation for reliability and customer service which is why I went with them.

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
Have you considered the Hydrometer CDS?
How you liking yours after having it a while? I know we talked a lot when you were first getting it? I went almost 7 years pretty much trouble free except a couple last step check valves.
I am at 3200 hours. started noticing the sound under hood was changing. Not super quiet anymore. realized the 2 bearings in the clutch housing were wearing. Also pillow blocks were getting noisy.( don't forget to lube those, they're pretty hidden) .
So i pulled clutch unit and drive shaft. Replace both bearings, and a new clutch( $135 from napa for clutch vs, $390!interlink)
Bearings were from interlink.
Replaced pillow blocks. Those are $370 on interlink.Got them from motion industries for $$170 each.
Then saw slight hop in driveshaft. Front u joint was a little loose.
This one pissed me off. $20 a piece u joints. Nope, non serviceable shaft. $1,156 for new driveshaft.
So i'm all new on rotating components.
I still would not trade it. I'm still so far ahead of the game with minimal downtime , and repairs..

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
How you liking yours after having it a while? I know we talked a lot when you were first getting it? I went almost 7 years pretty much trouble free except a couple last step check valves.
I am at 3200 hours. started noticing the sound under hood was changing. Not super quiet anymore. realized the 2 bearings in the clutch housing were wearing. Also pillow blocks were getting noisy.( don't forget to lube those, they're pretty hidden) .
So i pulled clutch unit and drive shaft. Replace both bearings, and a new clutch( $135 from napa for clutch vs, $390!interlink)
Bearings were from interlink.
Replaced pillow blocks. Those are $370 on interlink.Got them from motion industries for $$170 each.
Then saw slight hop in driveshaft. Front u joint was a little loose.
This one pissed me off. $20 a piece u joints. Nope, non serviceable shaft. $1,156 for new driveshaft.
So i'm all new on rotating components.
I still would not trade it. I'm still so far ahead of the game with minimal downtime , and repairs..

I still love it. The first year I had it I barely used it as I had a full time tech running another rig. But this lsat year or so I've been using it full time. I'm closing in on 1,700 hours.

I fried the blower which cost me something like $4,000. But it was my fault. I changed the blower oil, emptied both ends of it but only filled one side up. Expensive lesson.

It did have smoothing go out up from by the engine. I forgot what it was but it caused my Tm to lose suction under load. Something like a clutch slipping. That has been the only mechanical problem that wasn't my fault so far.

How did you find all these parts for your CDS rather then get them from Interlink? I'd like to load up on an extra drive shaft, pillow blocks, u joints etc. for when the time comes for me. To be honest though after fry gin a blower I'm a bit gun shy about doing too much work on my CDS.

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
Would love to know that part number for the clutch. I've been running CDS's since 2000. I had a driveshaft custom made and installed for $400, by a mobile mechanic. Sorry, don't know any of the specs or details further than that. Just know that it's still running with its new owner in Temecula.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
clutch assy NAPA 948435. about $135. now this is he electromagnetic clutch with the serpentine pulley and the bearing that the pulley free wheels on. $135 vs $360 from carpet cleaning vendors. There are 2 bearings that are in the housing that you should replace too if you have 2,000 hours or more on them. ( mine lasted about 3100). i ordered those ahead of time of my cds swap to my new 2017 van from interlink..

Reactions: jimmypietsch

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
I still love it. The first year I had it I barely used it as I had a full time tech running another rig. But this lsat year or so I've been using it full time. I'm closing in on 1,700 hours.

I fried the blower which cost me something like $4,000. But it was my fault. I changed the blower oil, emptied both ends of it but only filled one side up. Expensive lesson.

It did have smoothing go out up from by the engine. I forgot what it was but it caused my Tm to lose suction under load. Something like a clutch slipping. That has been the only mechanical problem that wasn't my fault so far.

How did you find all these parts for your CDS rather then get them from Interlink? I'd like to load up on an extra drive shaft, pillow blocks, u joints etc. for when the time comes for me. To be honest though after fry gin a blower I'm a bit gun shy about doing too much work on my CDS.
Pillow blocks are Timken (fafnir) RAO 1/3/16. Miller bearing here locally, or motion industries which is Searchable online. About $170 each, and there are 2. I kinda had to do it he hard way that i'm saving you from. I ordered what i thought was right based off the shaft size.
Once i got them out, they were wrong, and had to pay $100 next day shipping to get the right ones. There's a special collar that holds the pulley on the shaft that the pillow blocks go on. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS without having one on hand. It is called a taper lock. Very easy to break it. it is a 2012 1/18. Mono number 00250D05121. this is a motion industries number also. $about $25. The u joints are non serviceable.
I had to buy a complete driveshaft..I don't know where they get the driveshaft unfortunately, and i had to pay $1,156 for mine. keep it greased. and I wouldn't worry about it until your probably at 3,000 hours. Just run it from time to time with cowling off, and if has no hop to it, your golden..
The pillow block bearings are a bit.. If you doubt your skills, you might not wanna screw with that. Even if you had to pay a shop for any of this, the lack of repairs needed on a CDS so far exceeds any truck mount i have ever owned, you still will be way ahead of the game.
I also bought a pump in case of failure due to high hours. HTX 1813s.
$490 from pressure washer authority. Sitting in a box, though I need to call them and see if it's ok for that to sit. If it's not, i may change it out since i'm well above recommended rebuild interval already..
If this was a slide in, it would be shot. everything lasts longer on a cds because of less heat and vibration

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
I think I'm going to order that pump. It's $722 on interlink a site. I'm at 3300 hours now. And I started hearing a slight chirping sound, when the van is running, gets a little worse with the machine running. Might be that bearing you mentioned?

jimmypietsch

May 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Real Name
james pietsch
Business Location
United States
clutch assy NAPA 948435. about $135. now this is he electromagnetic clutch with the serpentine pulley and the bearing that the pulley free wheels on. $135 vs $360 from carpet cleaning vendors. There are 2 bearings that are in the housing that you should replace too if you have 2,000 hours or more on them. ( mine lasted about 3100). i ordered those ahead of time of my cds swap to my new 2017

Are these the bearings in the housing?

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
I think I'm going to order that pump. It's $722 on interlink a site. I'm at 3300 hours now. And I started hearing a slight chirping sound, when the van is running, gets a little worse with the machine running. Might be that bearing you mentioned?
You hear chirping when cds is not running?