Saphire scientific rage turns over but won't start. Totally stumped. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Saphire scientific rage turns over but won't start. Totally stumped.

2ndGenCarpetCleaner

Oct 30, 2019
Akron/Canton
Real Name
Jesse Smith
Business Location
United States
So I recently installed a sapphire scientific rage unit with 53 hours on it into a van that I bought used. I hooked everything up a as correctly as possible. When I started the unit the first time it turned over but wouldent start. I checked the wiring harness going to the float switch and it wasn't tight. Put it together and the unit fired right up and ran perfectly. I turned it off and bolted it to the van, the next day it wouldent start. Same thing turns over but won't start. Sprayed with starting fluid and it try's to run for a second and won't. Have solid fuel flow out of the fuel filter when the fuel pump is running. I have also checked the wiring harness and switch for the float vavlve with a meter and everything works. Oil level is fine and everything looks good otherwise. Totally stumped.

I know a lot of people ask similar questions and I think I've read every post concerning truck mount won't start. Any help is greatly appreciated and I promise to post the results When we finally are up and running.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Fuel or spark. If it doesn't fire with starter fluid then its spark.
Pull a plug and leave the plug wire on and see if you have spark.
If not, then start looking for why.
The float switch and oil pressure switches both shut off spark circuit.
If it ran fine then it's got to be a loose wire I would guess.

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
Feel free to give us a call. 800-932-3030 and ask for tech support. I am at Extension 4819, but I will be traveling this afternoon so I will be unavailable.

2ndGenCarpetCleaner

Oct 30, 2019
Akron/Canton
Real Name
Jesse Smith
Business Location
United States
So we got the rage running. I left out an important detail in my first post that was staring me in the face the whole time and I missed it. The machine sat for 6-12 months before we bought it.

After running tests on the float switch and it's wiring harness, determining it had spark and tracking the fuel flow out of the filter up to the carberator (and also from the filter back to the tank/tap return line) I came across something online about the fuel solenoid. That's when we started thinking it was some old gas and maybe the first time we got it to run we just clogged something. I saw a little about where the solenoid is on a kohler command 19hp but I didn't want to go after it without knowing. (Machine was so nice and new, only 53 hrs). So we took it to a local small engine guy and after $75 and about 4 hrs I picked it up and it runs like a dream.

The mechanic said the carborator had some varnishy gas and a little bit of water in the bowl and the solenoid was stuck with a bit of gunk. i never found the oil pressure sensor tho. Hope this helps, a lot of people on here complaine that no one ever explained the answer and how it worked out.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Glad you got it fixed and yes, thanks for coming back and sharing the solution.
On the upside, now you're a lot more familiar with the machine!