Saphire Scientific Advice

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Well just an update for anyone thats interested. My new 870 still has no bypass cooler and is spliced in a loop (saphire scientifics current fix for the problem). Still randomly shutting down it may do it 6, 7, 8 times in one day may not do it at all in a day but usually happens when im in a 4th story apt (been waiting on saphire scientific for almost 3 months for a fix for this issue).

My distributor spoke with their tech guy over 2 weeks ago and they were supposed to ship him some parts to throw at it in hopes it would fix the problem......still no parts still no fix, had a customer the other day ask me if i was going to be able to finish their house with my machine shutting down every 5 minutes (just slightly embarrassing). Gotta love saphire scientifics great customer service!!
Went out to my shop this morning and apparently now my thermowell overflow is leaking like a siv flooded the shit out of my van, office & shop (15 airmovers, and a dehu running currently to dry it out). Havent even bothered calling them yet whats the point? Based on my last two issues it will be months of waiting and no fix for the problem.
Ive been really patient and easy going up to this point, every time i call rick tells me its unacceptable and their gonna take care of it but they havent fixed a fudgeing thing as of yet.
I have an appointment with my attorney in the morning to find out what can be done if theres a lemon law for 30 something thousand dollar pieces of equipment in my state. I feel like ive been more than patient im done with being patient at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allied

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Did i mention highest temps im getting currently is 200 to 210 with an 8 flow?
30+ grand for saphire scientifics flagship machine thats supposed to be a true duel wand machine cant imagine what the temps would be if i added another 6 or 8 flow wand and tried to duel wand with it.
My Titan 575s run the same wand im running at 240 to 250 all day long and their 1/3 the fudgeing price!

Reactions: Anderson

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Tell them that you want a new Prochem Everest in exchange or you will press charges. You could offer to pay for the install and what ever the difference is, if there is any in price between the two new.

I used a credit card on a new machine back in 2012 for $17,000.00 and some change. Long story short, I couldn't get any parts sent out. Had problems from day one. So I did a credit card dispute and got all my money back. 8 months of the run around, no parts just excuses. CC company told me I almost waited to long.

Shouldn't take forever for a remedy for the problem or parts to fix the problem. Don't know what the statue of limitation is, but I bet there is something.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I hope you get it figured out Spencer! Best of luck! That's alot of money for the problems you're having. Sounds like your custom machines are twice the machine!

Reactions: SRD

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
if its one thing I absolutely HATE is a machine (or tool) that doesn't work right. Ive been a Prochem buyer since day one but now that SS bought them out my next machine will be a Titan 575.

Dependability is my #1 concern for all the reasons you point out in your post

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
They "think" its the temp switch, or a diode if im not mistaken. Told my distributor they were sending warranty parts to hopefully fix it two weeks ago......parts still arent here.
I dont believe the cooler missing has anything to do with the shutdowns cause it does it when when the machine is first starting and after its ran a while no rhyme nor reason to when it shuts down...

Last edited:

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
if its one thing I absolutely HATE is a machine (or tool) that doesn't work right. Ive been a Prochem buyer since day one but now that SS bought them out my next machine will be a Titan 575.

Dependability is my #1 concern for all the reasons you point out in your post
575 here also!

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
@mrotto i could not agree with you more ..specially one that expensive.....my 2 titans have a little over 200 hours on them wich is more than twice the hours i have on my 870 (just rolled over 100 hours). Only issue ive ever had was a exhaust gasket sprung a leak. Hydramaster overnighted it no questions asked soon as i told them about it. That gasket wasnt even keeping them from running just a small exhaust leak and they still overnighted without question.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
My hydramaster cds has 650 hours and has blown a fuse once, was diagnosed and fixed on the job site in less than 5 minutes.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Damn, that sucks. I worked dozens of times with Jeff and his 870. We would dual wand and the water was blazing hot on both wands. The machine never shut down. It ran like a champ all day every day.

I don’t know why your machine would be so different.

I will say years ago Coit bought two ACE 860 machines. One of them ran flawlessly while the one I had broke down constantly. That first year we had the machine I spent more time sitting at the shop for warranty work than I did cleaning so I understand your frustration. I got to know all the guys at ACE so good I ended up leaving Coit and going to work for ACE. I worked for them for a couple years before going back to Coit and eventually starting my own business.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
You can keep trying and working with Sapphire. I don't know how long it has been for you. Better to try to work it out if it can be done

I just got to my wits end at eight months with the manufacturer I was doing business with and took action and I'm glad I did. I thought I was getting too much of the run around. I was patient and understanding but a time comes when it is time to call it.

cptuphcln

Sep 16, 2011
AZ
Real Name
Scott Harlib
Business Location
United States
They "think" its the temp switch, or a diode if im not mistaken. Told my distributor they were sending warranty parts to hopefully fix it two weeks ago......parts still arent here.
I dont believe the cooler missing has anything to do with the shutdowns cause it does it when when the machine is first starting and after its ran a while no rhyme nor reason to when it shuts down...
Hi Spencer,
the items were sent, I will get the tracking in the morning, the cooler was sent as well.We will reach out to you in the morning, and to your dealer .

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Wow hearing this is crazy. Hopefully, you can get the lemon law applied. At this point, even if they did send the parts I'd want a new machine. The way I look at it, if I paid 35 ish thousand dollars, I'd want my machine to be flawless. Seems like Sapphire Scientific would offer to switch it out with a good 870 and take the old one and refurbished it.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Stories like this make me think twice about someday "upgrading". Sure I could get a solid machine that might give me years of service OR I could get a dud...that potentally could put me out of business or at least make business very challenging. It makes the move somewhat risky.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I am wondering about the big 3....
Why they can't find a problem like this.....

I am guessing that what. Some have said is true...
They are over engineered.....
Over manufactured....
Too many elec shutoff fuses......
Mire to go wrong......

I talked to Judson years ago and decided to stick with Kero heat....
Makes these machines simpler.....

I am not trying to bad mouth the big 3...
I am just wondering if they make these machines complicated on purpose...
So they will be the only ones who can fix them.......

That's what Apple does...so you have to go to Apple to fix it.......
Apple just paid a big lawsuit because of this.....

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I just bought a brand new 2018 370 SS (bought it in early Feb) well about two weeks ago I looked around the machine and noticed the pump level view completely empty and oil dripping I called my distributor and they said theyd fix it. I took it in the next day. All I can say is WOW! My distributor ROCKS! they didnt have a brand new pump so they actually order a brand new one overnight! I came in dropped it off and a few hours later
machine is running like a champ. All I can say is be positive, dont be a diva, and give them a chance. I paid near 30k (after taxes) and although it was an inconvenience it was under warranty and I was not going to trip. I remember when I worked for land rover, jaguar and BMW and if it can happen on a brand new car it can happen on anything. just be patience, be glad you have a back up. Good luck I really hope they can solve this problem. Im curious if this could happen to a 370ss

Mr. Esteamy

Jul 9, 2011
California
www.esteamcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Brian Kraut
Business Location
United States
I've had all the same issues with my 570ss. I've replaced the diodes , computor ,fresh water box pressure cap , had the by pass installed first thing. The first thing we always do is check the oriface and filter. They need to be cleared out evry 2-3 weeks. Usually fixes the problem. Also I've had to replace the water box thermal valve or water ever it's called like 3 times.