Sanded grout removal tool for large area | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Sanded grout removal tool for large area

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Hey guys, I have a 900 sq ft grout replacement job coming up.

I have a Rockwell sonic multi-tool with Dewalt fluted carbide blades that works great for sanded grout removal when I do repairs or broken tiles.
I'm wondering if there is a faster / better method for large areas?
1/4" grout lines, only need to remove surface for re-grout.
Has anyone used the grout grabber with a reciprocating saw?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Works fast and good. It works best if you make a small starter hole at the beginning of each line so you can get the blade down in there. Without the starter hole the blade will bounce around uncontrollably and scratch up the tiles. Ask me how I know:banghead:

163C3B9D-03D2-46E7-98A0-7C0D882F8A3A.jpeg
087B8C01-6928-4C44-BC52-759A72D44920.jpeg
D2E51DEC-F51E-4408-9A74-A1F51A4A5123.jpeg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
P.S. be sure to pick up several replacement blades. After about 50-60 linear feet the blades are ready to be replaced.

Reactions: Luky and MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you can also run painters tape along each side of grout.

ive done 1500 sq ft of tile grout lines fortunately they were 24" tiles.

ive also used the same blades as Todd for 900 you need quite a few. theres also a triangle bladed hand tool i really liked alot.

i also have a tile tool thats pretty much a tool engraver that i had too use on mosaic entryway. youll need some hand tools cuz the saws all isnt always practical. also be prepared to have a helper with a a shop vac to help control dust!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Works fast and good. It works best if you make a small starter hole at the beginning of each line so you can get the blade down in there. Without the starter hole the blade will bounce around uncontrollably and scratch up the tiles. Ask me how I know:banghead:

View attachment 78527View attachment 78528View attachment 78529
Another tip. most who've worked construction know you can flip that blade
that being said i rarely keep my blade like Todds tool. any blade i use is facing the back of the tool. attachments will lock either forward or backwards

this will allow the saw to lay closer too the tile this is how you control and bouncy starts.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Another tip. most who've worked construction know you can flip that blade
that being said i rarely keep my blade like Todds tool. any blade i use is facing the back of the tool. attachments will lock either forward or backwards

this will allow the saw to lay closer too the tile this is how you control and bouncy starts.
Funny sawzalls always seem to just work better upside down.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
you can also run painters tape along each side of grout.

ive done 1500 sq ft of tile grout lines fortunately they were 24" tiles.

ive also used the same blades as Todd for 900 you need quite a few. theres also a triangle bladed hand tool i really liked alot.

i also have a tile tool thats pretty much a tool engraver that i had too use on mosaic entryway. youll need some hand tools cuz the saws all isnt always practical. also be prepared to have a helper with a a shop vac to help control dust!
Yup, I have the triangle carbide tool and the rotary bits too.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
P.S. be sure to pick up several replacement blades. After about 50-60 linear feet the blades are ready to be replaced.
Thanks Todd. I'm pretty much just going to take off enough to get the new grout to stick.
Also how long would you say 900 sq ft of 6" would take. I estimated 3-4 days.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Whats everybody charging for jobs like this per sq ft on average?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Whats everybody charging for jobs like this per sq ft on average?
I got $3 using modified grout, and replacing a dozen broken tiles so I'm at $3000 for the job.
I discounted my tile replacement price to $25 each. I usually charge $75 for 1st and $50 for each after that.
Several are in a row and only 1 requires cutting.
I sold the job by giving 3 options, clean & repair damaged grout plus clear sealer.
Clean & repair plus color seal and finally re-grout with modified.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Thanks Todd. I'm pretty much just going to take off enough to get the new grout to stick.
Also how long would you say 900 sq ft of 6" would take. I estimated 3-4 days.
That’s about right. I’m guessing 2 days for the removal and another day for the new install.

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
I did 800 Sqft of regrout using a reciprocating saw with same attachment you show. Best advice is to make sure you have enough time (took me 2 full days. Grout was hard like concrete) and bid high. Make it worth your time. I went thru about 25 of those blades. And grout lines were huge. Like 1/4”. I lost on that job. Learned my lesson. One guy that I talked with who installed tile said to wet the grout lines before using tool to keep the dust down and make blades go longer. Not sure if that helps but just what he told me. Bid high tho

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
Also, you can screw two grout blades into that attachment if you have wide grout lines and then just unscrew and reposition to reuse the inner part of blades so you get more use from them

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
Use a grinder and a tuck point blade or sandwich two turbo blades on a 4" grinder and have someone vacuum the dust with a good shop vac and a hepa bag. Here is a link to a tuck point blade. I would prefer to sandwich two blades and tighten the arbor.

http://www.toolocity.com/sandwich-d...8uqnFdtPthm4JRWKJsaYo4zAQkmXD_noaAjbbEALw_wcB

I just removed and replaced 6500 square feet of sanded grout in a marble floor at a Ritz Carlton using this method, though I didn't have to use a larger blade because the grout joints were 3/16"

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Use a grinder and a tuck point blade or sandwich two turbo blades on a 4" grinder and have someone vacuum the dust with a good shop vac and a hepa bag. Here is a link to a tuck point blade. I would prefer to sandwich two blades and tighten the arbor.

http://www.toolocity.com/sandwich-d...8uqnFdtPthm4JRWKJsaYo4zAQkmXD_noaAjbbEALw_wcB

I just removed and replaced 6500 square feet of sanded grout in a marble floor at a Ritz Carlton using this method, though I didn't have to use a larger blade because the grout joints were 3/16"
Sanded grout on a marble floor?? Someone screwed up.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
1/4 inch groot joint

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
So this job turned into a nightmare.
It's amazing how much you don't know what you don't know until you start a project.

The tiles aren't laid properly with staggered joints so a straight grout line is wonky which means constantly stopping and starting.
The grout lines are uneven spacing, going from 1/8 to 3/8 and even 1/2"

The grout grabber works great but I have to change the number of blades to fit in the line.
My multi tool works well too but is much more dusty.

Also the installers grouted up the baseboards and kitchen cabinets so I'm colorsealing that grout.

It's looking freakin awesome, but I'm losing my shirt on this one.

But on the upside I'm learning what to look for in the future, and establishing a new price point!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
takes some ouchies to get it dialed in last one i made out very well.

like someone mentioned above using a grinder i know old school tile guys use em for removal. ive worked construction for yrs so the saws all was more comfortable for me. some reason ive always hated grinders but i use it with diamond blades to grind concrete wow cuts like butter

Reactions: keep it clean