Sagging pants | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Sagging pants

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
Is this acceptable for anyone else? Or am I just crazy?

How do you all feel about it?

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
This video is not one of my techs. Was on YouTube. Only using as example as my experience was familiar. One of our techs always says his shirt is too short and becomes untucked after a job. It bothers me to always see his underwear hanging out. I get it. But we bought him a shirt twice his size and he still always says it came untucked from moving around. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Very unprofessional , stress the importance of appearance (dress code) or let him go. If my help sagged his pants like that after telling him repeatedly i will stop taking him to jobs till he learns or fire him

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
This video is clearly not my employee. As I work in AZ and this is Florida. But was using as an example

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Ah i see, the sagging in the video was way too much. I have to remind my helper to tuck in shirt often especially if client is around. Appearance is very importany not just to the owner but cleaning techs as well. The client will judge on appearance

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This video is not one of my techs. Was on YouTube. Only using as example as my experience was familiar. One of our techs always says his shirt is too short and becomes untucked after a job. It bothers me to always see his underwear hanging out. I get it. But we bought him a shirt twice his size and he still always says it came untucked from moving around. Thoughts?
Carhart or duluth longtail shirts. Normal fit in chest but longer trunk so no crack view ;)

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Absolutely not.

Set your dress code and make the employees follow it. I don’t even allow shorts for safety reasons.

If you are having a repeated problem with an employee I’d document it. After a couple verbal warnings I’d write him up. If the practice continues if give a week of unpaid suspension. Still a problem, termination may be the only answer.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It's not acceptable in a public business for sure. Appearance does matter. Does the employee use a belt? My pants would fall off too w/o one! The guy in the video sounds like a good guy but probably doesn't realize how that appears to a lot of people. I'm quite certain a lot of people would not have him back even if he did a good job. He probably began dressing like that in school and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Absolutely not.

Set your dress code and make the employees follow it. I don’t even allow shorts for safety reasons.

If you are having a repeated problem with an employee I’d document it. After a couple verbal warnings I’d write him up. If the practice continues if give a week of unpaid suspension. Still a problem, termination may be the only answer.
Safety reasons? I don't get it. I only mention it because for many years I too wouldn't wear shorts to work. Now, for me it's a MUST. I've had several times that I actually got heat exhaustion and even got sick and passed out a couple times. My sister talked me into getting shorts. It definitely helps me from getting overheated although my legs ain't too pretty! Seriously though, heat exhaustion usually comes before heat stroke which is deadly. In my area it doesn't get as hot as where you are, but the humidity in summer is a killer, a real killer. I'd rather be shot than go back to not wearing shorts in summer. Nobody's ever whistled at me yet though and nobody see's my underwear or my butt crack either. :)

Now if someone saw my legs they might walk into a wall or something or maybe hit another car. That would be unsafe!:p I think the right type of shorts can be fine and I know a lot of cleaners do wear them.

Reactions: KwikDri

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Safety reasons? I don't get it. I only mention it because for many years I too wouldn't wear shorts to work. Now, for me it's a MUST. I've had several times that I actually got heat exhaustion and even got sick and passed out a couple times. My sister talked me into getting shorts. It definitely helps me from getting overheated although my legs ain't too pretty! Seriously though, heat exhaustion usually comes before heat stroke which is deadly. In my area it doesn't get as hot as where you are, but the humidity in summer is a killer, a real killer. I'd rather be shot than go back to not wearing shorts in summer. Nobody's ever whistled at me yet though and nobody see's my underwear or my butt crack either. :)

Now if someone saw my legs they might walk into a wall or something or maybe hit another car. That would be unsafe!:p I think the right type of shorts can be fine and I know a lot of cleaners do wear them.
I’ve had heat exhaustion and passed out a few times too over the years. It’s usually happens if I let myself get dehydrated. I try to make sure I drink a lot especially this time of year.

Personally I can’t wear shorts. I’ve had a problem for the last 25 years with my legs and they are black and blue from the knee down usually with sores on them.

Setting that aside though when I worked for Coit I saw several guys get burned by hoses or hot water through the truckmount courtesy hose. One guy had a hose burst and severely burn his leg. He was off work for a month. Pants may or may not have prevented that. It’s hard to say.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I’ve had heat exhaustion and passed out a few times too over the years. It’s usually happens if I let myself get dehydrated. I try to make sure I drink a lot especially this time of year.

Personally I can’t wear shorts. I’ve had a problem for the last 25 years with my legs and they are black and blue from the knee down usually with sores on them.

Setting that aside though when I worked for Coit I saw several guys get burned by hoses or hot water through the truckmount courtesy hose. One guy had a hose burst and severely burn his leg. He was off work for a month. Pants may or may not have prevented that. It’s hard to say.
My hose gets pretty hot, but I've never burned myself with it. I do get cuts and scratches from time to time. I can see you have a point though. For me, I'm willing to take the risk! I am guilty of not keeping myself hydrated during the summer and that no doubt contributed to me having heat exhaustion. It ain't fun when it happens I can tell ya that. It usually happens when I fail to drink enough water or push myself too hard, not stopping to drink water or some Gatorade or something.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
My hose gets pretty hot, but I've never burned myself with it. I do get cuts and scratches from time to time. I can see you have a point though. For me, I'm willing to take the risk! I am guilty of not keeping myself hydrated during the summer and that no doubt contributed to me having heat exhaustion. It ain't fun when it happens I can tell ya that. It usually happens when I fail to drink enough water or push myself too hard, not stopping to drink water or some Gatorade or something.
The first time it happened to me scared me to death. I was driving on the freeway and I got real dizzy and my vision narrowed. I was barely able to pull over and stop before passing out. I spent the night in the hospital. I’ve had it happen a couple times since but I’ve been able to stop and sit down for a while and avoid passing out luckily.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The first time it happened to me scared me to death. I was driving on the freeway and I got real dizzy and my vision narrowed. I was barely able to pull over and stop before passing out. I spent the night in the hospital. I’ve had it happen a couple times since but I’ve been able to stop and sit down for a while and avoid passing out luckily.
I hear ya. By the time I start feeling dizzy and nauseated, it's already too late. I can hardly walk by then. Once I managed to get into my van and turn on the a/c. I immediately passed out and threw up while I was unconscious. On 2 occasions I had heat exhaustion from trying to do 2 cars back to back in the hot weather. The second time was last summer. I won't be doing that again EVER! That second car was a BUMMER! I was almost done when it hit me. I didn't think I needed to carry water that day. Big, big mistake!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We have it in our dress code what’s acceptable and what’s not. Sagging pants is not acceptable ever when employed by me. They say crack kills and I agree. Crack kills your business.

Reactions: KwikDri

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
@Todd the Cleaner bad thing about pants if a hose busts the scalding water stays on you as it soaks the pants makes the burn worse. Never had pants do it but have had my shoe get sprayed before (more than once) couldnt get my shoe off quick enough took the 1st layer of skin off.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Combat lightweight pants work great. Light and cool, fast drying and easy to maintain.
I can't wear shorts, the customers wouldn't let me get my work done! Too sexy for my shorts

Reactions: SRD

greg2206

Oct 3, 2011
SC
Real Name
Greg Broome
Business Location
United States
Address that issue quickly, I wouldn't have even given a second chance. I have even purchased belts for employees and from the first time I told them to pull up their drawers and tighten their belt, the issue was pretty much resolved. I also told them to be proud of who they are and to always be proud of each and every job they do wether they work for me or anyone else. Your employees can and will make or break your company but ONLY by what YOU allow

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
That's completely unacceptable and would not be tolerated at all. No excuses would or could justify that unprofessionalism. And he's representing the company?? No thank you.