Safety tips & avoiding lawsuits for newbies | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Safety tips & avoiding lawsuits for newbies

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
Canada has workers comp ? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app
yeah there was too many bodies floating down the river and the population was decreasing so they created Workers Comp!

Reactions: Artie09

mikkel99

Dec 2, 2013
Real Name
mikkel henderson
I use propane to heat my water any safe tips for that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TMF Forums mobile app

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I cleaned a woman's house who had lawyer on speed dial. We got talking about a guy running into me a year earlier. 15k is the norm he gets from companies she says. usually without to much of a fight. And that is for minor things. She told me some stories. Her and all her friends had been through lawsuits. this was a scumbag lawyer who takes insurance companies daily.

NEVER touch any electronic device. I have moved one TV with the owner on the other side lifting. But that was one in a million. I will never touch another one. That's one thing I don't do. I have heard people claim it worked better before you moved it. In other situations ,not me, But made me think. how could you prove different? cant really. TV's are expensive and I will be damned if I upgrade someones TV for free. Just cause i am trying to be thorough.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
I cleaned a woman's house who had lawyer on speed dial. We got talking about a guy running into me a year earlier. 15k is the norm he gets from companies she says. usually without to much of a fight. And that is for minor things. She told me some stories. Her and all her friends had been through lawsuits. this was a scumbag lawyer who takes insurance companies daily.

NEVER touch any electronic device. I have moved one TV with the owner on the other side lifting. But that was one in a million. I will never touch another one. That's one thing I don't do. I have heard people claim it worked better before you moved it. In other situations ,not me, But made me think. how could you prove different? cant really. TV's are expensive and I will be damned if I upgrade someones TV for free. Just cause i am trying to be thorough.
Yeah i agree.

No electronics, no dressers, no beds, no weak framed couches!
Nothing with to much knick knacks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app

bob519

Oct 28, 2011
Canada
Real Name
bob
Business Location
Canada
When I show up to clean carpets that's what I'm here to do not play furniture mover . Do you ever get calls where people what discounts because they didn't move bed or dressers ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TMF Forums mobile app

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
6) Carbon monoxide! I almost had two techs die and one of them was put on permanent disability due to this danger that was caused by the customer when she left her garage door open as she left.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Good idea for a thread, Rob. I'll dig around and come up with some more ideas. But carbon monoxide kills people every year in our industry... and THAT is a lawsuit yu don't want to face!
Maybe all techs should put a battery operated detector on their spotting kits when working? You never know when a custy might do what Steve described above or open a window near the TM when it is running!

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Adults must be present when children are in the home.
I once showed up to job - door answered by an under aged girl (or damn close) wearing low cut pajama pants and a cut off tee shirt. It was early and I assume she just got up. Luckily the family was a friend of my parents - knocked the job out no problem. Later on in my biz I had two guys that worked for me - biggest horn dogs around - I shudder to think what would have happened had they been on that job!
Had another cust - mid 20's - no matter when I got there she was just getting out of bed. Pretty much see through pajama pants - lite pajama shirt - no bra. What the hell is wrong with people!

John B.B.

Feb 25, 2013
Denver
Real Name
J. Bulsterbaum
Stand up straight when cleaning carpet, if you are hunched over your back will kill you at end of day.

Get a wand long enough for your body length. I'm above the average so using most wands means I must leand-over and...it really does MURDER your back.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
6) Carbon monoxide! I almost had two techs die and one of them was put on permanent disability due to this danger that was caused by the customer when she left her garage door open as she left.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Good idea for a thread, Rob. I'll dig around and come up with some more ideas. But carbon monoxide kills people every year in our industry... and THAT is a lawsuit yu don't want to face!

Yes, and it can travel a LOT further than you might imagine! Don't ask me how I know that! It stays close to the ground and the least bit of a breeze will sweep it right into a house through any open crack it can find. Word to the wise, park farther away from any door or open window than you think you have to. I've set off CO2 detectors when I was sure, at least I thought I was sure, that it couldn't possibly happen.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Always have a detailed service sheet / disclaimer that the home owner signs before the service. Total cost, traffic lanes and stains, stains serviced by home owner prior to cleaning etc. Then I always have written "No 100% guaranteed removal of any traffic lane or stain". This statement is a release of liability for you if they try to make the claim that they thought the stain would be 100% unnoticeable upon completion of the service.

CNSCCPWLLC

Sep 6, 2015
Real Name
Charles Solomon
Business Location
United States
I appreciate everyone that had input on this thread. I ran to my printing team and told them to put some of the quotes from here on my new receipts. Thanks!

Reactions: wsufan18

JustSomeDude

Dec 22, 2017
Real Name
Aaron Blaine
Do you guys have a lawyer print up a safety sheet or how does that work? Is it legal to use someone else’s and just make copies of it? How do you go about putting together are sign safety sheet that has the prices etc? Thanks again

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Do you guys have a lawyer print up a safety sheet or how does that work? Is it legal to use someone else’s and just make copies of it? How do you go about putting together are sign safety sheet that has the prices etc? Thanks again
Already on my invoice . Gone over with customer at time I give estimate and signed at payment .
All the Best, Ed image.jpeg

Reactions: wandwizard