Safety tips & avoiding lawsuits for newbies | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Safety tips & avoiding lawsuits for newbies

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Let's compile a list for newbies and make it a sticky. I'll edit the thread as we accumalate more ideas. I'll start;

1) Have a safety sheet for slip & fall.
2) Use corner guards
3) Use stair hooks
4) Don't park running truck in garage or close to a front door to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
5) Don't leave chemicals unattended in a home (best to mix in your truck instead inside home)
6) Full disclosure form (You could incorporate into your slip & fall agreement. We do.)
7) An adult must be present when children are home.
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
6) Carbon monoxide! I almost had two techs die and one of them was put on permanent disability due to this danger that was caused by the customer when she left her garage door open as she left.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Good idea for a thread, Rob. I'll dig around and come up with some more ideas. But carbon monoxide kills people every year in our industry... and THAT is a lawsuit yu don't want to face!

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Must remove any and all fragile items from furniture that will be moved.

Reactions: admin

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Here's a couple that come to mind from personal near disasters I've had.
1. Use caution when hooking up to water faucets, particularly after a cold winter. Outside faucets can sustain freeze damage, but not leak any water UNTIL you hook up in the early Spring to clean their carpets. The faucet will leak inside the wall while you're cleaning and can cause MASSIVE flooding in a relatively short time. Don't ask me how I know.
2. DO NOT EVER so much as touch a gas appliance. You may be VERY sorry you did. Trust me on this one. Don't bump or get near a gas line, especially in an older home.

Reactions: dlshetler

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
Never hook up to a water heater
Never plug a 175 into a low amp outlet

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
replace solution hoses & QD's when recommended! and keep customers, pets and kids away while cleaning! a burst hose with 240f water can be dangerous

Reactions: matt30577
Sep 7, 2013
Lawsuits...

With the customer:

1) provide the total price on a written estimate prior to performing any services
2) mark down any problems during pre-inspection no matter how small it may seem (it is amazing how many customers believe their cleaners are responsible for the missing grout in their 20 year-year-old-never-had-tlc flooring)
3) don't try and work around pets... They will run away or bite you... Fluffy is going to have to suck it up and take his indoor living to the backyard for an hour

With the state (at least here in Cali)

1) do not let a single drop off moisture touch any asphalt lest you want to get friendly with the EPA
2) always carry an MSDS for everything you have... Even stuff you don't have
3) it is illegal to take pictures with your phone inside a customers home without permission

Hope this helps keep new cleaners out of jail... Or at least keep their ankles bite-free

Sent from the best weather in the world... On an iPhone

like a glove

Aug 19, 2013
Real Name
david
All great things to keep in mind for newbies such as my self, it's easy to buy a machine and run with it forgetting the little things

Sent from my LT26w using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Cody G

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Use caution when hooking up to water faucets, particularly after a cold winter. Outside faucets can sustain freeze damage, but not leak any water UNTIL you hook up in the early Spring to clean their carpets. The faucet will leak inside the wall while you're cleaning and can cause MASSIVE flooding in a relatively short time. Don't ask me how I know...
Absolutely. It is no fun doing a "self-inflicted water damage". :)

In fact, HERE is a great test to perform on every outside faucet BEFORE you attach your hose in the spring time. And ESPECIALLY if you see theIR hose has been attached over the winter!

Steve

PS I don't know what number we are on but NEVER leave an open vac hose running unattended and ESPECIALLY if there are little kids or pets present. Imagine what a jury would return to the plaintiff if their sweet 3 year old girl had an eyeball sucked out by your hose! Brrrrr...

Reactions: wsufan18 and Truk

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Absolutely. It is no fun doing a "self-inflicted water damage". :)

In fact, HERE is a great test to perform on every outside faucet BEFORE you attach your hose in the spring time. And ESPECIALLY if you see theIR hose has been attached over the winter!

Steve

PS I don't know what number we are on but NEVER leave an open vac hose running unattended and ESPECIALLY if there are little kids or pets present. Imagine what a jury would return to the plaintiff if their sweet 3 year old girl had an eyeball sucked out by your hose! Brrrrr...

After doing 3 free water damage jobs because of leaky water faucets that flooded the basements my ultimate solution was to install a fresh water tank and avoid hooking up for water as much as I possibly could. That 3'rd flood was a real humdinger! About 2 hours of constant flooding in the basement as I was cleaning upstairs. Another tip is if you notice very weak water pressure when you turn on the outside water you most likely have a bad faucet that's leaking inside the wall. I like the cap tip you gave. If you don't have a cap you can hook your hose up with a shut off valve attached and listen for water spraying inside the wall too. I've had so many problems caused by either bad water faucets or water being shut off when I got to the job a water tank was the clear and only solution for me though.

Reactions: matt30577

Ionic Fresh

Feb 5, 2012
INDIANA (IN)
Real Name
Eddy Spakeli
Business Location
United States
Learn to walk away from certain jobs, know your limitations and stick to the services you are trained and familiar with. These services should be covered by your insurance carrier. Its common, at the urge of a customer for a carpet cleaner to provide certain services such as power washing, auto detailing etc when these are not your regular services, you are not trained and knowledgeable to perform them and are not covered by your insurance.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Its all about creating a safe job site for you and the customer.

First thing is having cones around the van and around the hoses in walking areas outside(mainly sidewalks).

First thing we do after the walk through is go set up safety wet floor signs, corner guards and drop cloths.

Safety is always discussed with the customer and is relayed to people throughout the home during walk through.

We clean the room they are most going to use FIRST to have it dry before we leave. As soon as a big enough area is cleaned we start setting up the airmovers.. we use 7 in all. Dry times are that important to me..

On every walk off area from the carpet, we leave in place 8x11 wet floor signs as a reminder, even though most of the carpet is dry.

Do that and give them a good experience with your company and you can get reviews like this one we got last night..

This is the second time I've used this company, and both times have been really impressed with the quality of their work and overall experience. Not only did they arrive on time, but when I asked how long it would take them, they provided an estimate to which they stuck completely. With the exception of 2-3 spots that Go Green forewarned would be very difficult to remove, every spot came out. These spots now appear much lighter. The carpet looks brand new!
Go Green nicely started with our main living space so that would be dry by the time they were finished, and it was!
I highly recommend this company. If I could give A+ ratings I would! I have referred others who have been equally impressed. Go Green knows how to identify with and make his customers happy, and the high level of genuine customer service shines through with incredible results as well.

tony k

May 24, 2012
Real Name
tony
Does anyone have a slip and fall waiver the would be willing to share?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using TMF Forums mobile app

spod

Dec 5, 2013
For my employees If they were to slip or fall I make it perfectly clear the day there hired. IF YOU SLIP, TRIP, OR FALL... YOUR FIRED BEFORE YOU HIT THE GROUND!

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
hell that's a lot better than my plan of snapping their necks, stuffing them in a gunny sack and throwing them in the river!

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
hell that's a lot better than my plan of snapping their necks, stuffing them in a gunny sack and throwing them in the river!
Wow Canada is dangerous to work in, eh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app