Rust in grout

steph74

Jul 26, 2021
Real Name
stephanie barber
Will grout master remove this rust from the grout? Also, will it remove years of built up dirt embedded into grout? I don’t have a truck mount so will a floor buffer with a pad or brush work? If not what equipment do I need to do this, I can’t go bug right now so buying a truck mount is out of the question. And, I want to learn to do this myself and incorporate it into my business.

Attachments

• 4A855018-1938-4D80-90B5-43091A6238C9.jpeg
    4A855018-1938-4D80-90B5-43091A6238C9.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 9F1A2CFD-D800-4E13-8997-101843B23F9B.jpeg
    9F1A2CFD-D800-4E13-8997-101843B23F9B.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 32

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If grout master (alkaline) cleaner doesn't touch it move to an acid cleaner. That will improve it some. However grout can be stained, worn or damaged beyond what cleaning can fix. Then you're into color sealing or grout replacement.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Will grout master remove this rust from the grout? Also, will it remove years of built up dirt embedded into grout? I don’t have a truck mount so will a floor buffer with a pad or brush work? If not what equipment do I need to do this, I can’t go bug right now so buying a truck mount is out of the question. And, I want to learn to do this myself and incorporate it into my business.
I really don't see what looks like rust in those pictures. The grout may be stained with something else, but I don't think that's rust. I would apply a good tile and grout cleaner, scrub the grout lines with a grout brush and clean as normal. I suspect that will come out. A floor pad won't really get into the grout lines very well, but will scrub the tiles really well for cleaning. You need some type of brush for tile and grout to get into the grout lines effectively if you use a floor machine. Those are sold by a number of vendors just do a search for them. If you decide to go that route you might also want to buy a splash guard for your brush to prevent splashing on to walls or appliances. Your customers won't like that and tile cleaners can do PERMANENT DAMAGE to some appliances and furnishings really quick. If the job's not too big a simple grout brush you can buy locally will do the trick. I hear the one sold at Home Depot is pretty decent. I believe the Shark tile and grout brush may be the best on the market and it's fairly cheap as well, but you will need to get it online somewhere. It is sold at numbers of outlets including Amazon and many others. I personally have used a product sold locally at Lowes to remove rust stains in particular from ceramic tile. It is NOT for natural stone, period. It is ZEP Tile and grout cleaner and brightener. I keep a quart on hand for use on man made tiles only. It can do permanent damage to natural stones.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I really don't see what looks like rust in those pictures. The grout may be stained with something else, but I don't think that's rust. I would apply a good tile and grout cleaner, scrub the grout lines with a grout brush and clean as normal. I suspect that will come out. A floor pad won't really get into the grout lines very well, but will scrub the tiles really well for cleaning. You need some type of brush for tile and grout to get into the grout lines effectively if you use a floor machine. Those are sold by a number of vendors just do a search for them. If you decide to go that route you might also want to buy a splash guard for your brush to prevent splashing on to walls or appliances. Your customers won't like that and tile cleaners can do PERMANENT DAMAGE to some appliances and furnishings really quick. If the job's not too big a simple grout brush you can buy locally will do the trick. I hear the one sold at Home Depot is pretty decent. I believe the Shark tile and grout brush may be the best on the market and it's fairly cheap as well, but you will need to get it online somewhere. It is sold at numbers of outlets including Amazon and many others. I personally have used a product sold locally at Lowes to remove rust stains in particular from ceramic tile. It is NOT for natural stone, period. It is ZEP Tile and grout cleaner and brightener. I keep a quart on hand for use on man made tiles only. It can do permanent damage to natural stones.
The circular footprint in the bottom of that grey-tile pic might very well be from the bottom rim of a metal trash can - could be rust, could just be soil that got shoved there because someone liked mopping without moving the trash bin.

And yes, without a TM or 1200-psi portable, manual grout brushing is the way to go. American Brush and Chems makes the Grout Shark, Dirty Grout Demon, and a few other good brushes that are pretty darn aggressive.

And as Randy says, WATCH YOUR CHEMICAL SPLASHES. Barkeeper's Friend can get some splash-marks off of stainless, but it's better to prevent than to repair.

Reactions: wandwizard