Rug Doctor Turned My Rug Yellow

clairebridges

Jun 19, 2019
Real Name
Claire Bridges
PLEASE help. I left a stain on my friend's white rug. Me, knowing nothing about rug cleaning, decided to use rug doctor to get the spot out. When I cleaned it, it looked perfect and back to normal. When it dried, the rug had yellowish spots left all over. Please tell me there is a way to get these new yellow spots out so I don't have to buy a new rug.

• Haha
Reactions: matt30577

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
It would be important to know what fiber(s) the rug was constructed from and how it was constructed. There is a good chance the issues can be corrected by a cleaner trained in rugs. (Not every carpet cleaner knows how to clean rugs properly.)

Let us know where you are located and we may be able to suggest a professional rug person in your area. Another option is to search www.iicrc.org for someone in your area who is certified as a Rug Care Technician (RCT).

Reactions: Luky

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Sounds like it might've been a viscose rug?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Post some pictures so we can see what you are dealing with. Most likely it is correctable but in order to give the proper advice I need more information. The following will help:

Pictures, both up close and from far back. Flip a corner of the rug over and get a picture of the back too. If there are any tags on the rug get that too.

What was the original stain you were trying to remove?

What chemicals did you use?

How were the chemicals applied / used?

How long did the rug take to dry?

Get this information for us and we should be able to help.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
New member that just joined and knows nothing about carpet cleaning but took the time to set up an account and have an avatar :eek:
I’m with him. Nobody joins a forum in a panic situation and sets up a full blown profile

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
New member that just joined and knows nothing about carpet cleaning but took the time to set up an account and have an avatar :eek:
At least she's a girl. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think she'll stick around for a long time once she realizes who we really are.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
At least she's a girl. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think she'll stick around for a long time once she realizes who we really are.
Either my eyes are going bad from getting old or my phone screen is too damn small because I didn't notice a male or female in the avatar.
We have some members that have been on TMF for years and still dont have an avatar.

Calgary Hog

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Tinnam
Easy Fix don't panic.
Go to local carpet Cleaning store get bottle of ACID Rinse.
Or Mix 1:1 rAtio vinegar to water put in extractor.
If using rug Doctor me make 3 dry pass to one wet pass.
Best of luck

Nolan Laguna

Jun 30, 2015
Real Name
Nolan Laguna
It sounds like cellulosic browning. It may be correctable, but if you didn’t know the fiber type before cleaning it, you may do more harm than good. It’s unfortunate that this is how some technicians are trained, through trial and error.

Reactions: Calgary Hog

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I second what Scott has suggested, if you're dealing with a nice Rug made of natural fibers its best to get a hold of a professional, the good news is that its most likely correctable.