Rug cleaning help | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Rug cleaning help

Rem

Jun 30, 2011
Real Name
Remington Reeder
Business Location
United States
I have a good customer who asked if I could/would clean their rug. I am new to rug cleaning, but hated to turn down the request and chance the customer going somewhere else. Any help would be much appreciated.
The rug doesn't look to have any spotting, but just daily soil and a strong dirty dog odor, being this is where their dogs come in to lay.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 188

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I have a good customer who asked if I could/would clean their rug. I am new to rug cleaning, but hated to turn down the request and chance the customer going somewhere else. Any help would be much appreciated.
The rug doesn't look to have any spotting, but just daily soil and a strong dirty dog odor, being this is where their dogs come in to lay.
Thanks for the help.
This is post for Rob...Rob?

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
Dust first then clean.
Play with your vacuum cleaner if you do not have a dusting machine. With rug face down try setting vac at like #2 or 3 setting, you'll find it will vibrate the rug a little bit. That will help get the dirt out.
Check to see if it is colorfast, good damp rag with brick or clamp, etc. Truthfully by looking at the pics I would dare say it will not bleed but you never know till you test it.
Best cleaning is pit cleaning, it will get the odors out better.
If wand cleaning might want to let dwell for a little with a deodorizer to help with the dog odor. DO NOT USE HIGH ph!
Treat and clean both sides.
Then speed dry.

In a hurry here so gotta run, these are the basics.

Reactions: aloha one

Rem

Jun 30, 2011
Real Name
Remington Reeder
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys for the quick response. Steamin' Seaman, do I have to worry about shrinkage from the cotton fibers? So just soak it in water and neutral cleaner, scrub both sides. Then extract with TM and dry with fans. Add deodorizer to neutral wash?

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
The rug has been wet cleaned before! Fairly obvious by the rolling and hourglass shringage of the bound sides and curling of the fringe. Another thing I see.....looks as if the natural oils have been stripped from a previos high alkaline cleaning, as the fibers have lost their luster....dull looking. Whenever working with dissimilar fiber blends sinkage may occure; 80% wool, 20% cotton,...as different fibers will absorb and displace water at different rates. Deodorize both sides with an OMS product(minerial spirits), apply a low PH detergent....no greater than 9 PH, wet clean with low pressure and lower temps(200/185),....acid rinse, dry vac very well and hand block/ stretch to restore shape and remove curling,...then surface dry with air movers. Keep an eye out for curling and shringage during the drying process and correct as needed.

Last edited:

ohhundred

Feb 14, 2012
CA
Real Name
David K
Business Location
United States
The rug has been wet cleaned before! Fairly obvious by the rolling and hourglass shringage of the bound sides and curling of the fringe. Another thing I see.....looks as if the natural oils have been stripped from a previos high alkaline cleaning, as the fibers have lost their luster....dull looking. Whenever working with dissimilar fiber blends sinkage may occure; 80% wool, 20% cotton,...as different fibers will absorb and displace water at different rates. Deodorize both sides with an OMS product(minerial spirits), apply a low PH detergent....no greater than 9 PH, wet clean with low pressure and lower temps(200/185),....acid rinse, dry vac very well and hand block/ stretch to restore shape and remove curling,...then surface dry with air movers. Keep an eye out for curling and shringage during the drying process and correct as needed.

Hey No. 9,

Out of curiosity, how do you deodorize using OMS?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

No.9

Oct 10, 2013
Real Name
Mitch D.
I apply with small pump sprayer.......slighty heavy coat on both sides with 15 mins. or there abouts of dwell time.
If you are dealing with dog odor/oils causing a smell, the OMS will work in two ways. It will break down and loosen the oils and the solvent will kill odor causing bacteria..Plus OMS will not damage dyes. After the solvent is allowed to dwell, you will need to apply a low alkaline detergent to remove the solvent and any soiling/contaminates. Final acid rinse and apply topical deodorizer if needed.

Classique ChemDry

Aug 29, 2013
Real Name
Classique ChemDry
Area rugs will benefit from a deep cleaning every 12" -18 months. When using commercial cleaning products for the first time, test a small area of the rug to ensure that it is colorfast and not otherwise damaged by the product. To thoroughly clean a large rug, place it on a vinyl or concrete surface and apply carpet-cleaning foam and rub in according to directions. Finish by rinsing or vacuuming. Make sure the rug is dry before replacing it.

http://www.classiquechemdry.com.au/services/area-rug-cleaning/

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Good observations. Where do you buy your OMS? Do you find OMS works with urine or only dog oil related oils?

Feb 15, 2012
California
Real Name
Johnny Smith
Business Location
United States
It's important to know how to clean and maintain rugs to protect your investment. Improper cleaning can ruin your rug! If you plan to shampoo your carpet, you should pre-test a small area first to avoid any unpleasant surprises.