Rubber-backed Kid Area Carpets......Run!

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I got a call yesterday from a Mall that I clean in Daly City...when could I come over and clean the corporate offices and a couple carpeted areas in the Mall? I was cleaning the former Mayor's house in Ross, CA and said I could be there tonight. "Fine! Thanks, Paul."

I got over there and the carpets were hammered as usual. The kids play area just kept soiling pads and releasing soil...it was the biggest dirt sponge I've ever cleaned.
Both sides of the pads filthy......

I slept well when I finally got home at 2am.

Some pics for your enjoyment!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 136

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States
Is there a good way to sanitize it and be kid friendly?

When using an encap that has colloidal silver in it ( padcap pro or a vlm cleaner like TLC ) And you boost it with 10 ozs per gal of peroxide like detonator from vacaway you can destroy bacteria and check it with a atp meter if your worried about it.
This is how silver and peroxide works on bacteria-----http://www.sanosil.com/sanosil-disinfectant-basic-knowlege.htm

Using a hwe extraction system on that rubber backed carpet will not have a good airflow out of fiber that is why the dirt wicks back to top when carpet drys after attempting to use hwe. This happens more on commercial carpet that has rubber back and 100% olefin than a nylon with rubber back. I have used, and am currently using a crb and hwe ( portable and truckmount) on carpet that is new because owner is worried about warranty where any rotary machine including a cimex will void warranty. The 100% olefin wicks back dirt and coffee stains even when we use encap products with hwe. Reducing pressure and more vac strokes help reduce wick back but less water means less dirt out and no bacterial reduction without the right products. The 100% olefin carpet squares have such a stiff fiber that it is impossible to get a good vacuum seal with a wand or rotary extractor. I have been experimenting on these type of carpets for years.

Using hwe or padding carpet will not remove bacteria but the right product will. Benefect works but the oil smells.
Judson has a quat a lot and interlink has bactibarrier which are more for hard surface disinfection but some use these on carpets with the right masks and keeping people away until dry.

Using steam long enough on carpet until the bacteria in the fiber and rubber backing is destroyed will loosen adhesive and damage backing----which is seen sometimes on commercial glue down that has loose ripples in carpet.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I used Bonnet Pro Revive It with some extra volume 20 peroxide and isoprophyl alcohol added to the mix. The combo of peroxide and alcohol helps in lowering bacterial counts, and enhances drying, which is a serious consideration for retardation of further bacteria growth.
This play area put in an obscure part of the Mall where the closest plug is 40' away and it is a 15 amp circuit. I've tripped it in the past. The mall was built in the '70's with little consideration for cleaning. The outlets are few, old, far between and suprisingly, 15 amp. the closest access door to pull hoses from a truckmount is about 650 ' away…… the carpet needs to be dry before the Mall opens at 10 am. I cleaned the play area last in January. I'm trying to get this item on a more regular schedule, ideally every 6 weeks.

This section of the overall mall job is time intensive, considering the lack of available power sources, not highly profitable of itself, but necessary to keep the client…..all part of the job.

Next week I'm cleaning every night for the City of Emeryville: City Hall, the Courthouse, Child Development Center, Senior Center, and Recreation Center, all hammered by their staff with a portable….a super busy week and pretty profitable if I live through it.

Last edited:

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
When using an encap that has colloidal silver in it ( padcap pro or a vlm cleaner like TLC ) And you boost it with 10 ozs per gal of peroxide like detonator from vacaway you can destroy bacteria and check it with a atp meter if your worried about it.
This is how silver and peroxide works on bacteria-----http://www.sanosil.com/sanosil-disinfectant-basic-knowlege.htm

Using a hwe extraction system on that rubber backed carpet will not have a good airflow out of fiber that is why the dirt wicks back to top when carpet drys after attempting to use hwe. This happens more on commercial carpet that has rubber back and 100% olefin than a nylon with rubber back. I have used, and am currently using a crb and hwe ( portable and truckmount) on carpet that is new because owner is worried about warranty where any rotary machine including a cimex will void warranty. The 100% olefin wicks back dirt and coffee stains even when we use encap products with hwe. Reducing pressure and more vac strokes help reduce wick back but less water means less dirt out and no bacterial reduction without the right products. The 100% olefin carpet squares have such a stiff fiber that it is impossible to get a good vacuum seal with a wand or rotary extractor. I have been experimenting on these type of carpets for years.

Using hwe or padding carpet will not remove bacteria but the right product will. Benefect works but the oil smells.
Judson has a quat a lot and interlink has bactibarrier which are more for hard surface disinfection but some use these on carpets with the right masks and keeping people away until dry.

Using steam long enough on carpet until the bacteria in the fiber and rubber backing is destroyed will loosen adhesive and damage backing----which is seen sometimes on commercial glue down that has loose ripples in carpet.

The era for Quat use was from about 1980 to 2000 in schools and hospitals. It's rapidly being displaced by healthier cleaning agents as government studies have linked it directly to health issues in both hospitals and schools. There are numerous studies linking quat use to chemical induced asthma especially in schools. In 1980, chemical induced asthma in elementary schools ran at 3.4% nationally…by 1980 it had risen to 18.3% among elementary school children. Once sensitized by a quat compound, many people have more severe subsequent reactions to it.there are several tracts by which it can affect the body, pulmonary exposure, contact exposure, and ingestion from foods contaminated by cleaning surfaces sanitized with quat compounds.

Colloidal silver compounds are effective, but alcohol and peroxide are more widely recognized.

HWE in this setting was not viable. I've cleaned this before with a charged dry solvent and a vapor steam generator, but the extended cleaning interval negated that choice this time.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Only 18 sides for 170 square feet. Thats a whooping 9.4 sf per pad side. Did you run out of pads or patience?
I didn't get the picture of the last three pads I used…I think I averaged less than 5 sq ft per pad…..you can see the progression of color from dark towards light in the ones in the pic. I was too tired at the end to think straight about more pics facing driving 73 miles home and staying awake. I cleaned the former Mayor in Ross (Marin County), old bike shop customer, in the morning yesterday …left home at 7 am , got home at 2am this morning.

I dragged a bit on todays job…

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I am surprised they don't do that in house. Good for you.
The staff know how hard it is to clean this stuff with the electrical conditions that exist in the mall. They're not stupid… so when it gets really, really bad, I get a call to make them look good again. I've been cleaning here for 12 years…I followed the facility manager from his former mall to this one…..a pitch hitter for carpets….

Reactions: Gasoline

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Marty , You are right. I used to be 6'2"… I've looked down for so long I have to lay on my back to look up… I'm looking and working more like a turtle every day… oh well. I will have help this week….should be around $6K of work…enough to share.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
The era for Quat use was from about 1980 to 2000 in schools and hospitals. It's rapidly being displaced by healthier cleaning agents as government studies have linked it directly to health issues in both hospitals and schools. There are numerous studies linking quat use to chemical induced asthma especially in schools. In 1980, chemical induced asthma in elementary schools ran at 3.4% nationally…by 1980 it had risen to 18.3% among elementary school children. Once sensitized by a quat compound, many people have more severe subsequent reactions to it.there are several tracts by which it can affect the body, pulmonary exposure, contact exposure, and ingestion from foods contaminated by cleaning surfaces sanitized with quat compounds.

Colloidal silver compounds are effective, but alcohol and peroxide are more widely recognized.

HWE in this setting was not viable. I've cleaned this before with a charged dry solvent and a vapor steam generator, but the extended cleaning interval negated that choice this time.

http://www.ehjournal.net/content/8/1/11

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2678109/#!po=71.6667

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009...15BN20090402?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

http://www.healthyfacilitiesinstitu...Recommendations_for_Use_of_Cleaning_Solutions

Last edited: