Rubber 8J Lovejoy coupling always cracking on steam-brite hornet truck mount | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Rubber 8J Lovejoy coupling always cracking on steam-brite hornet truck mount

XtremeSteamNJ

Jun 17, 2019
Real Name
Mike Gerace
Hi all,

I have an older steam-brite hornet truck mount (approximately 8-9 years old). The machine still kicks butt and works great! The biggest issue I have with it is the rubber 8J lovejoy coupling that connects the engine and blower shafts. I seem to have to replace it 2-3 times a year (sometimes more). Now I know that the alignment is crucial in order to have the least vibration/wobble on the coupling itself to prevent it from cracking or breaking. The bigger issue is that the motors do not self align (left to right) so I have been using a square to make sure they align perfectly and then tighten the bolts on the blower motor housing onto the frame. I would like to know if there are alternatives to those rubber couplings. Do they make a stronger/self aligning assembly that last a lot longer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Try one of the 2 piece sleeves with the holding ring before you change anything out.
I think they take way more torque that the 1 piece sleeves.

And to prolong coupler life:
ALWAYS bring your machine up to operating rpm BEFORE hooking up the vacuum line.
ALWAYS remove your vacuum line BEFORE throttling down your engine.

XtremeSteamNJ

Jun 17, 2019
Real Name
Mike Gerace
Try one of the 2 piece sleeves with the holding ring before you change anything out.
I think they take way more torque that the 1 piece sleeves.

And to prolong coupler life:
ALWAYS bring your machine up to operating rpm BEFORE hooking up the vacuum line.
ALWAYS remove your vacuum line BEFORE throttling down your engine.
Hi Kevin. Thanks! Where would I get a 2 piece sleeve and would it still be an 8J size?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I would recommend pulling off both metal flanges or loosing them and sliding the back and checking the vertical alignment of the 2 shafts with a straight edge. Horizontal misalignment chews at the teeth points, cracking has me leaning towards vertical misalignment.