Rotovac XL Issues- Need Feedback ASAP!

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Please don't misunderstand my message here because I am a huge fan of Rotovac machines. I have used the Rotovac 360i for 4 years now and have gotten terrific results. So, last year, Rotovac Corporation recommended that I try out their Rotovac XL model, which I eventually bought and had terrific results as well. I can get the cleaning done in less time than the 360i and you don't have to bother with speed and water volume nearly as much because of increased efficiency with the vacuum shoes. Overall, I am impressed, but then after 10 months, my first serious problem arose. I was at a customer's house with a particularly dirty carpet, which required a commercial brush head. I got through most of the job and BAM! The motor died? So, I had to finish the job with a conventional wand. I contacted Rotovac and they sent me another motor capacitor, which burned out in 2 weeks. I contacted them again and was told that I needed to upgrade the motor from 1/2 HP to 3/4 HP, which made sense to me, but cost another $200. Okay, I bought into this idea and everything seems to work fine until the customer's circuit breakers trip. So far, I have used it in 2 houses and have tripped breakers in each house. The last one I was in, the customer had to stand by the circuit panel to turn the breaker back on 5 times on 2 different circuits. Both houses were built in the 90s, so I know they had to be 15 AMP circuits and I noted that no other power sucking devices were on these circuits. However, I was assured by Rotovac that the max draw is only 7 amps? This is using the regular cleaning head too and not the commercial brush head. Now, I have to contact Rotovac and go through this crap all over again.

Has anyone else with a Rotovac XL gotten the 3/4 HP Motor and has had this problem?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Lets ask @Rotovac to see if they can help out. They are a good company. It should not trip fuses. My thought is it maybe related to your install of motor. Maybe small short blowing fuses? Have you checked the amperage draw of the unit?

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Let's not involve RotoVac with this conversation. I was actually wanting to solicit the whole audience here at this forum and get outside opinions to see if anyone else has had these same experiences.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Let's not involve RotoVac with this conversation. I was actually wanting to solicit the whole audience here at this forum and get outside opinions to see if anyone else has had these same experiences.
I think Roto Vac can help with any problems more then getting opinions of members that might just be posting ideas without knowing what is going on.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Rotovac said a 7 amp draw?
I believe a 3/4hp motor draws close to 14 amps and slightly more on start up.
Should be run on properly wired 20 amp service line.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If I remember correctly, a 3/4 single-phase motor pulls close to 14 amps on 115-volt lines. If the customer has anything else on that circuit (lamps, TV, even phone charger) it can overload the circuit. If you can find a 20-amp circuit to connect to, that will be a big help - but those aren't always easy to find in residential.

The T-Rex and 360i only run 5-9 amps, if memory serves (I think they're induction motors). I may be wrong on that, though, I'd have to pull up the manuals.

gtech12v

Dec 2, 2008
California
Real Name
Gerson Anaya
Business Location
United States
My 360XL motor is doing the stop and go stuff I called Rotovac and they want me to buy the upgraded motor for $300 on top of what I paid for the unit under warranty

Why do I have to pay more for a machine that was build under power ?

Rotovac needs to be fair and replace the motors at not charge and get a different engineer to design this machines and not pass the cost of manufacturer flow to the consumer

Barry C

Aug 28, 2013
Harrisonburg Va
www.greensolutionscleaning.net
Real Name
Barry Click
Business Location
United States
You got a real issue. Any 175 is a 1.5 horse and can be run on a standard 15 amp circuit. If you can find an amp meter, check your current. If that is right, you have a weird short or an internal issue with the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
3/4 horse motor should draw around 6.5 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Single-Phase Motors - HP and Full-Load Currents

Motor Size

(hp)

Full Load Current (amps)
..........115V
208 V 230 V
1/6......4.4.........2.4..........2.2
1/4......5.8......... 3.2..........2.9
1/3...... 7.2 ........4.0..........3.6
1/2 ......9.8.........5.4.......... 4.9
3/4......13.8........7.6...........6.9
1........16............8.8........... 8
11/2 ...20........... 11............10
2........ 24..........13.2 ..........12
5 ........56...........30.8......... 28

Last edited:

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Thank you, LongKenn, for the chart. I find this information very helpful, esp. when I talk to Rotovac next time. They told me very clearly AND it says on the motor that the 3/4 HP only draws 7amps, but obviously, this is NOT true as breakers are tripping right and left with it? Then they went on to tell me that I am the only customer that has ever had a problem with their 3/4 HP motor and tried to make me feel like it was something that I had done wrong? This is why I wanted to get an independent perspective from other carpet cleaners with 3/4 HP XLs and not have to listen to what Rotovac has to say on this forum, Rob I will confront them with this information I am gathering from other sources as it could end up in Small Claims Court if they are not willing to be reasonable with me?

Now, GTech12V, has the same problem that I had with the 1/2HP. It worked fine for 10 mths and then would shut down sporadically after that? What happened is that the motor was starting to burn out. Nick, from Rotovac tried to tell me that I overworked the machine and that my truck mount was too big for it. I told him that is BS because their advertising says that it should work with any truck mount and be able to handle heavy loads of work. After all, that is why they make and sell a commercial brush head for it, right? So, I told him that and then he said the shoes were not the correct ones and that I should pay $160 for their teflon shoes & shipping charges. So, I asked to speak with his boss and his boss is a lot more reasonable. Needless to say, I got the teflon shoes for free and the upgraded motor for $200 (including S&H). You just have to know who to talk to there and be persistent, but NICE! If you act like a jerk, you will not get anywhere with them or anyone else you deal with.

The problem I now face is that most residential customers don't have 20 amp circuits and so I was sold a motor that isn't going to be practical in most residential areas, esp the older ones. So, I called them and explained the problem and then one guy tells me that I should go back to a 1/2 HP motor, which my response was.....NOT!! I will probably have them send me a new Rotovac 360i and just call it even now..

Don't get me wrong, guys! I actually became very attached to my Rotovac XL and it has helped me tremendously. These are awesome machines, but I now see that the 1/2 HP cannot go the distance with heavy duty brush cleaning as it puts too much drag on the machine and 3/4 HP could probably handle the extra load, but isn't practical with standard residential 15 Amp circuits. Businesses could pose a bigger challenge, esp large buildings as getting to a breaker box may require putting in a maintenance order, like that is going to work out well for the carpet cleaning job?

Last edited:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
it kinda sounds like you bought the XL head for the regular 360i?

if so then using 15in with a brush head on carpet would prob burn that motor out, or did you have the full XL model?

Reactions: sbsscn

Lynx41

Jun 18, 2011
Real Name
Jeff Mann
Business Location
United States
Why would I put 15 inch cleaning heads on a machine that is clearly designed for 12 inch heads? No where in my posts do I indicate that I did this?

ACP, it sounds like you need to go back and read my posts again to understand what I am talking about?

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Please don't misunderstand my message here because I am a huge fan of Rotovac machines. I have used the Rotovac 360i for 4 years now and have gotten terrific results. So, last year, Rotovac Corporation recommended that I try out their Rotovac XL model, which I eventually bought and had terrific results as well. I can get the cleaning done in less time than the 360i and you don't have to bother with speed and water volume nearly as much because of increased efficiency with the vacuum shoes. Overall, I am impressed, but then after 10 months, my first serious problem arose. I was at a customer's house with a particularly dirty carpet, which required a commercial brush head. I got through most of the job and BAM! The motor died? So, I had to finish the job with a conventional wand. I contacted Rotovac and they sent me another motor capacitor, which burned out in 2 weeks. I contacted them again and was told that I needed to upgrade the motor from 1/2 HP to 3/4 HP, which made sense to me, but cost another $200. Okay, I bought into this idea and everything seems to work fine until the customer's circuit breakers trip. So far, I have used it in 2 houses and have tripped breakers in each house. The last one I was in, the customer had to stand by the circuit panel to turn the breaker back on 5 times on 2 different circuits. Both houses were built in the 90s, so I know they had to be 15 AMP circuits and I noted that no other power sucking devices were on these circuits. However, I was assured by Rotovac that the max draw is only 7 amps? This is using the regular cleaning head too and not the commercial brush head. Now, I have to contact Rotovac and go through this crap all over again.

Has anyone else with a Rotovac XL gotten the 3/4 HP Motor and has had this problem?
I could be wrong about this, but it's my understanding that capacitor start motors draw a lot more current when initially turned on, then it drops down. I know my old Hild buffer draws some serious current when initially started and I mean A LOT. However, I can't think of a single time it's ever tripped a breaker. I think it's a 1.5 hp motor. If it's tripping breakers particularly on start up it could be because it's going over 15 amps. I've studied on this stuff, but my memory is not the greatest and I don't understand all there is to know about motors. If I was only having that problem in old homes I would be trying to plug into perhaps the outlet for the clothes washer and run at least a 12 gauge extension cord to the machine. I would almost bet money it has a higher amp draw on start and that's what did it. At least, I'm pretty sure it's a possibility.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that I read they can draw as much as 2 times amps on start up if it's a capacitor start motor. Maybe someone else can chime in to set the record straight. I'm pretty sure my Hild draws at least double amps on start.

Last edited:

hurricanecc

Nov 21, 2013
Are there any updates from anyone on the 3/4 hp upgraded motors operation ? My 1/2 hp started smoking the other day with about 20-30 hrs on it and rotovac said I needed to up the power with the 3/4 hp motor.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Are there any updates from anyone on the 3/4 hp upgraded motors operation ? My 1/2 hp started smoking the other day with about 20-30 hrs on it and rotovac said I needed to up the power with the 3/4 hp motor.
I did the upgrade and have never had an issue. They did the upgrade for like $150.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I bought the XL over 2 years ago. Mine has the 1/2 hp motor and never any problem with it yet. I almost always use the brush head with the teflon glides so that logically could help since the motor can move the cleaning head across the carpet with less resistance. I almost never use the basic cleaning head that came with it, but keep it on hand as a backup. I'm just curious as to which cleaning head you're using?

Reactions: Fedri