Rotovac suction issues. My experience. Help thread. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Rotovac suction issues. My experience. Help thread.

prcarpet

Feb 11, 2010
Clarksville, TN
Real Name
Chris Biggs
Business Location
United States
I just wanted to type a post to help people who say they have issues with suction with their Rotovac Powerwand. It takes much trial and error to eradicate the situation sometimes so I have came up with a list possible culprits.

1. Felt seals. If you haven't replaced your felt seals lately and lost suction that would be the first thing I would check. They are the felt rings on the two removable heads. If you lose the "sandwich" effect when tightening them this probably means they need replacing.

2. Hoses. I bought mine used the hoses were worn and that was a place of loss of vacuum. You can buy replacements and they are easy to install.

3. Clogs. After a while you can get clogs in the wand vacuum chamber tube. Solution is to take a water hose and stuff it in and flush out all debris. That is not all my main situation was after I did that it was still clogged. I couldn't figure out why. I finally realized that the screw that goes through the vacuum tube at the bottom was holding on to a WHOLE LOT of debri. You have to take the screw out and repeat the water hose process lodging the hose or whatever object you want to use all the way down to the t section where the vacuum hoses connect.

4. Obviously it's good to spray the heads off after each job that helps to ensure the spray jets do not get clogged as well and the vacuum ports.

I just wanted to type this because I bought a used rotovac and couldn't get it to work to factory standards. After replacing multiple items (some needed replacing). I realized the screw that goes through the vacuum chamber had a huge clog. Now the machine does exactly what it says. I think sometimes it's user error to get people to say the rotovac isn't good when actually it's something that can be resolved. Hopefully this helps someone. My only problem is the rotovac has a lot of fail points that a typical wand doesn't. On a job that can cause you to lose time and a customer.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
Your felt seals will last longer if you spray them with silicone spray..
Check your carbon bushes and replace @1000 hours or less..

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I always soaked my RX-20 felt seals in a coffee style can, with enough 10W30 motor oil in the bottom of it to submerse them.

I kept the can on the van, so I always had a few fresh seals ready to go. I believe the "soaking in the oil" permeates the felt deeper than a spray coating, and thus you won't have to replace them as often with a fresh one.

That worked for the Rex.

I have no idea how the 360i is set up in regards to it's felt.

prcarpet

Feb 11, 2010
Clarksville, TN
Real Name
Chris Biggs
Business Location
United States
My main issue was the screw. Debri was getting caught at the screw and even sticking the hose down didn't wash it away so the screw had to be removed in order to get the gunk out. I even called rotovac and they couldn't figure out my suction issue I was telling them it wasn't getting suction and they didn't suggest that as a reason. I couldn't even get the screw out at first, but once I did and jammed the hose down I got a whole handful of hair. I always pre-vac but you know how that goes.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
My main issue was the screw. Debri was getting caught at the screw and even sticking the hose down didn't wash it away so the screw had to be removed in order to get the gunk out. I even called rotovac and they couldn't figure out my suction issue I was telling them it wasn't getting suction and they didn't suggest that as a reason. I couldn't even get the screw out at first, but once I did and jammed the hose down I got a whole handful of hair. I always pre-vac but you know how that goes.
I agree too pre vac.. They do clog easy and you have to watch picking up screws and nails... I had one go up one side of the powerwand and crack off the plactic rim where the felt seal sits... I had to get another black plastic shroud and redo the head.
I found it best to remove the heads after each cleaning and clean out vac slots and rinse each head off on the Powerwand's

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the info, I do not own any Rotovac. I'm a newbie, are you talking about power wand or 360 or 360i. Help out the newbies by stating the obvious to you but not obvious to the newbies. Thanks

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the info, I do not own any Rotovac. I'm a newbie, are you talking about power wand or 360 or 360i. Help out the newbies by stating the obvious to you but not obvious to the newbies. Thanks
I take it ,its a Powerwand like mine.. 360 and 360i also use felt pads and carbon brushes.. So this applies the same to up keep..
Anyone has problems please feel free to contact me ..Be happy to walk you through it...

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I always soaked my RX-20 felt seals in a coffee style can, with enough 10W30 motor oil in the bottom of it to submerse them.

I kept the can on the van, so I always had a few fresh seals ready to go. I believe the "soaking in the oil" permeates the felt deeper than a spray coating, and thus you won't have to replace them as often with a fresh one.

That worked for the Rex.

I have no idea how the 360i is set up in regards to it's felt.
It does use a single felt seal located under the head..

T

TheEyeball

This is all the junk I pulled out from just one head of a Rotovac Powerwand last week!

Attachments

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
This is a good example why its important to remove the heads and clear the vacuum slots out after each clearing... Thanks Ross for posting the pic..

Brian Jones

Jul 17, 2013
Real Name
Brian Jones
how did you remove that bolt at the bottom that goes through the vac tube,, the nuts are spinning on both sides of mine, wont come off seems like its not one bolt but 2

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
I found out with my felt seal on the 360i I had to pack it with grease to stop eating the seals. like you do to a bearing. so far it has lasted 6 months now. check it a few days ago and I found out it is in perfect cond. I used wd40 and silicon spray and nether lasted very long.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
I found out with my felt seal on the 360i I had to pack it with grease to stop eating the seals. like you do to a bearing. so far it has lasted 6 months now. check it a few days ago and I found out it is in perfect cond. I used wd40 and silicon spray and nether lasted very long.
Vito what kind if grease are you using? I bought some plumbers waterproof grease and that's what I've been using but I wasn't sure about it.

www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com

sunrise123

Nov 1, 2013
Real Name
bob smith
1. Can anyone tells me where can a buy the felt rings for my Power Wand? thanks

nightmanphill

Sep 13, 2019
Real Name
Phill
love this post..
I just bought a power wand and was wondering if i could get a few heads up.

1.i cant seem to get the psi above 200 it just stops and the trigger seizes.?
2.does it work on uneven carpet caused by floorboards?
3.does it work on low pile...like replace the carpet low pile?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I just wanted to type a post to help people who say they have issues with suction with their Rotovac Powerwand. It takes much trial and error to eradicate the situation sometimes so I have came up with a list possible culprits.

1. Felt seals. If you haven't replaced your felt seals lately and lost suction that would be the first thing I would check. They are the felt rings on the two removable heads. If you lose the "sandwich" effect when tightening them this probably means they need replacing.

2. Hoses. I bought mine used the hoses were worn and that was a place of loss of vacuum. You can buy replacements and they are easy to install.

3. Clogs. After a while you can get clogs in the wand vacuum chamber tube. Solution is to take a water hose and stuff it in and flush out all debris. That is not all my main situation was after I did that it was still clogged. I couldn't figure out why. I finally realized that the screw that goes through the vacuum tube at the bottom was holding on to a WHOLE LOT of debri. You have to take the screw out and repeat the water hose process lodging the hose or whatever object you want to use all the way down to the t section where the vacuum hoses connect.

4. Obviously it's good to spray the heads off after each job that helps to ensure the spray jets do not get clogged as well and the vacuum ports.

I just wanted to type this because I bought a used rotovac and couldn't get it to work to factory standards. After replacing multiple items (some needed replacing). I realized the screw that goes through the vacuum chamber had a huge clog. Now the machine does exactly what it says. I think sometimes it's user error to get people to say the rotovac isn't good when actually it's something that can be resolved. Hopefully this helps someone. My only problem is the rotovac has a lot of fail points that a typical wand doesn't. On a job that can cause you to lose time and a customer.
Looks like you're 15 years late with your advice, although very useful. I wonder how many carpet cleaners still use Power wand .
I stopped using it about 13 years ago, but I don't recall any problems at all. Just kicked the discs to unscrew them, checked the felt gaskets, cleaned the jets and vac slots. Well kept secret is don't get felt gaskets wet, because they get all messed up and without those suction " sucks". I got tired hauling 38 lbs of dead weight on 2nd, 3rd floors. Bonzer will be next one to join unwanted list of carpet cleaning toys...