rotovac power wand

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
picked one up of a buddt for 150$ a little wd40 and new felt rings and its purring. my question is does anyone use one and are they any goood on portys?? what psi should i set it on it having 6 jets?? it seems to pump out the water fast. so im thinking 100/200 on porty. is there anything i need to look for or any advice you can give me?? i have a 360i but know nothing of the wand. thanx guys

Timothy

Aug 14, 2010
KENTUCKY
Real Name
Timothy Jackson
Business Location
United States
Wow that was some deal! congrats
Frank seems to like his a lot, I wouldn't mind getting one myself

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Unreal deal!

They are the highest aggitation rotory in my opinion!

I love mine.

Here's the draw backs vs the 360:
Not as easy on the body
Doesn't leave the carpet as dry.

So dry pass.

I run 300 psi on a much higher gpm pump than a porty would have and it does fine, but I don't know what recovery you have, so just play with it.

Here's a cool pic I took of mine for my website and stuff:

_MG_5770.jpg

Reactions: Anolog139

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
Great cleaner but really slow. So slow I sold mine shortly after I bought it many years ago. But at that price I would buy again for absolute trashed carpets, as long clients are willing to pay double or triple my regular cost as the work production would really slow.

kineard

Oct 8, 2010
Florida
ktoris.com
Real Name
Arthur Kineard
Business Location
United States
First they are super slow. Second the carpets are going to be wetter and they do not work well on Berber or CGD. That is the bad.
The good. It cleans super good. What else needs to be said. Oh it is easy on the body. Much easier than a wand especially on the nasties.

It works great with a porty at 200psi with heat. I have tested this.
It cleans better at 200psi with heat than it does at 1200 psi without heat. Heat seems to be an important part of this system.
Don't make more wet passes than you need. It will clean while it extracts water.

It also works fine with a truck mount. Typically use about 200 psi there too. Have used 500 an did not notice much a difference in wetness but that probably has more to do with my truck mounts blower.

The jets are 1.5 which is very small and they can clog so you may want to use an inline filter.
The rotating heads pull a lot of fibber so check and clean the wands vacuum chambers often.

The guys at rotovac were helpful when I called them recently to order new jets.
Good customer service is always a plus. Oh the jets were less than $5 each. That was cool. Got a full set why not. The jets are called flowjet and like I said they are 1.5 I want to say they are 110 degrees but not sure on that.

Classicboss

Jul 30, 2008
Ithaca, New York
www.classiccarpetcareservice.com
Real Name
Dan Langendoerfer
Business Location
United States
I use mine with the portable for trashed carpets and there's nothing like it, I don't use the portable much but when I do the power wand goes with it. I run it at 200 psi and it gets the job done. I do a dry pass as well. Great deal by the way.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I don't find it to be extremely slow.
Yes slower than a quick wanding, but I don't rush thru any of my jobs so I don't know what you consider slow.

But great point on the CGD. It is worthless for that.

kineard

Oct 8, 2010
Florida
ktoris.com
Real Name
Arthur Kineard
Business Location
United States
How about 5 hours for 7 areas, big areas, rooms what ever you want to call them. How about 3.5 hours for 4 areas. Granted without the rotovac these carpets would have likely been thrown away. I would say to charge no less than twice your standard rate.

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
tory yours is pimpn!! this one has seen better days but works great and its for the 2nd van with a porty. i might put it on the tm when not using 2nd van if its better then 360i just slower.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
How about 5 hours for 7 areas, big areas, rooms what ever you want to call them. How about 3.5 hours for 4 areas. Granted without the rotovac these carpets would have likely been thrown away. I would say to charge no less than twice your standard rate.

Maybe your just slow? I wouldn't take that long. Maybe it's the difference in our equipment?? Who knows. I just hope you make some good coin while working that long on those areas.

That's the goal anyways!

kineard

Oct 8, 2010
Florida
ktoris.com
Real Name
Arthur Kineard
Business Location
United States
No not nearly enough to justify it. I am going to test some stuff out and see if I can speed it up. I got hit with a string or really bad jobs. I was getting depressed and thought I was never going to see a normal carpet again. Spring Break thing I guess. Thank God I have not had to use it for several days. I was actually able to make some money.

I get OK times in condos with the Rotovac Power Wand when not the whole room has been trashed from wall to wall. Now I know what to charge for those bad ones. A F-ING LOT.

tom patnode

Premium VIP
Jun 8, 2008
San Diego
renaissance-carpet.com
Real Name
Tom Patnode
I have one and love using it with a portable. I didn't like how it worked with my truck mount, carpet was wet way to long.. If you want to use it with a truck mount I would turn down the pressure.
I spoke to a rotovac sales tech and they even warn of the need for low pressure.
I also agree rotovac support is great.

Nick P

Sep 30, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Nick Palumbo
Business Location
United States
I had one and loved it. I now have a dhx power wand with the speed control. Brand new never used. I'm looking to sell it but wow man I'd never sell it that cheap you stole that wand. Good catch!

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I love my RV Powerwand I had it since 2002 with great outcome.. I am a big fan of this tool! Don't use wd40 get some silicone spray from Homedepo or Lowes.. it will work better for your seals.. For a portable I would go with 200psi the min.. Rotovac does say 100 psi is min.. But you will do better at 200psi to 500psi.. I run my truckmount around 300 with it... And have used it at 250 psi with portable..
You will need to make extra dry pass's each time .. You will need move slow and do dry pass's each time . Less chance of leaving the carpet too wet much that way. Click on my Facebook for more pictures..
0227021000-1.jpg

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I've had one almost since they first came out. Love it. It does take longer. But like was said , on trashed carpet you're going to be in there much longer anyway, and hopefully going to charge accordingly.
I've usee with porty and truck. When I first got it, and only had a porty, I had heard that it used much more water. I found that if you can keep yourself from holding it open, you can actually use less water.
With a portable I use it for trashed, just like everybody else. I put my pre-conditioner down, mixed strong, with the power wand through the machine, and no vac. for the agitation as I apply, Heavy where needed of course, running the pre-conditioner out and adding water or the extraction chem of choice. Then do the clean, being careful of how much I hold the valve open. (It is not in stone that you must hold it wide open.) Often wanding the lightly soiled areas if there any to save time.

mcatalano

Apr 8, 2011
Real Name
mike catalano
Business Location
United States
They are much slower then wanding. Like I can do a typical br in 5-10 min thoroughly with wanding, same room with slow mo old rotovac might take 15-30min. You have to cut in all corners as well as do really slow dry passes to get the carpet pretty dry. They do clean great however but just way to slow for me. I use a Prochem legend GT.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I use my powerwand on plush carpet but it just bounces around on CGD carpet.
I use my 360i on CGD.
I feel like the powerwand does better on plush carpet but If I had it to do over I would have just bought a 360i and called it a day.
No one mentioned to me when I bought the power wand that it sucked on CGD.