Rotovac - any good?

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
I am considering on getting a rotovac...they claim the wand system is just outdated with all their hype, and cleans much better then the wand does...any thoughts?

anyone using the rotovac system?

hows it working for you?

any info you can provide will be useful...

I would rather get this info from people actually using it
then getting info from the people trying to sell it to me...

We all know that compaines sometimes hype of their
product info a bit so they can sell by saying it can do
things that it may not be able too...so I am just
looking for the truth of what rotovac can really do....

Thank-You

ACC

Feb 7, 2009
Tennessee
www.tncarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Shawn Giroux
Business Location
United States
I use the rotovac 360 cleaning tool. It is an excellent machine and you wont be disappointed. In conjunction with your portable it will do well. The portable I use has an inline heater that I supplement with a bucket heater in the fresh water tank. It produces decent heat , at least enough for my cleaning process to work.
This is a slower way to clean. On average I will probablly spend 45 min more on a job then someone who uses a truckmount. But being new to the business and trying to earn repeat and refferal business I beleive it is also helping me to sell my company. If you have any questions you can pm anytime or call 865-951-9816

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
I think it is only slower because you are getting more dirt out. Same thing as vacuuming, the longer you vacuum the more dirt you'll pick up. I think its a great tool and much easier to get in tight spots and under furniture. The only thing thats harder about it compared to a wand would be the electric cord being there. Very happy with my 360 so far.
peace

Andy MC

Mar 26, 2009
WA
Real Name
Andy McFadden
Business Location
United States
I've read a few posts that say the rotovac (original one) tends to over wet carpets. What about the 360? do you think it leaves them wetter or drier than a standard wand?
Thanks

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys...it does sound like rotovac is a good tool. when i went to their site, it just looked like another one of those too good to be true products, but I have not found many complaints at all on rotovac...and since i have always had back problems, this could very well be a fix all...work less, let the machine work more, sounds good to me...

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
I have one.
I got it years ago with a myee porty 2, 2 stage vac 100 psi .7 gpm.

over wet the snot outta carpet.

I have been told to change the jets. I have also been told the Jets would win. I loved The Jetson's

But I digress

Alas, now I have a TM (with no heat) and have yet to try the rotovac with it. But will after I hock my freaking house to fix my TM.

Tube Socks Rock.

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
I have one.
I got it years ago with a myee porty 2, 2 stage vac 100 psi .7 gpm.

over wet the snot outta carpet.

I have been told to change the jets. I have also been told the Jets would win. I loved The Jetson's

But I digress

Alas, now I have a TM (with no heat) and have yet to try the rotovac with it. But will after I hock my freaking house to fix my TM.

Tube Socks Rock.
I guess that is the huge difference with a TM, they may be slightly better then a portable, but they are more costly to fix...depending on the problem, it could be cheaper to buy a new porty...

ACC

Feb 7, 2009
Tennessee
www.tncarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Shawn Giroux
Business Location
United States
If you have back problems you may want to look into the original rotovac and not the 360. Once you get use to the 360 it is pretty easy to use but the original wand would be easier on your back.

As far as wetting carpets go I dont think you were using it correctly becuase I have absolutely zero problems with getting carpets dry quickly. It does not overwet carpet.

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
I guess that is the huge difference with a TM, they may be slightly better then a portable, but they are more costly to fix...depending on the problem, it could be cheaper to buy a new porty...

dude....for what I have spent in one week alone fixing this POS I'd have a new porty with 3, 3 stages and some fine chick to do the work.
As far as wetting carpets go I dont think you were using it correctly becuase I have absolutely zero problems with getting carpets dry quickly. It does not overwet carpet.
I get that alot. Like it takes a genius to watch Cliff's video and follow the directions.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. I hook it up, turn it on, squeeze the little trigger thingy, move it back and forth as shown on the enclosed video (dude on that is the dude who invented it) and let go of the little trigger thingy...move it some more...just like Cliff taught me...

Wet carpet.

It aint weting carpet now though. A spider lives in it. :bigsmiley:

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
Use mine Everyday NO Problems here. The 360 works GREAT!!!!!!!!
I may have to wait on buying it now...my phone is not ringing like it did last week for carpet cleaning...

does it really help you get more referals like their site boasts?
or is that just another selling plot to get you to buy....?

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I may have to wait on buying it now...my phone is not ringing like it did last week for carpet cleaning...

does it really help you get more referals like their site boasts?
or is that just another selling plot to get you to buy....?
More than what?

Marketing 101....

You can guarantee something all day long
and have the fine print at the bottom

I think my hard work, showing up on time and doing what I say I'm gonna do will go a lot farther than the wand I use. Most people just want a good clean carpet, They don't care about the means to the end, just the end in and of itself.

On the other hand some folks really do care about that stuff. So if you're trying to market to them than, yes it would generate some referrals but so will asking them to tell their fiends.

Personally I've never used the wand, but I have a friend that swears by it. But then again he swears by ford and I like chevy.

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
The guy on the rotovac website Cliff I guess, he does a poor job at showing exactly how to use it . He is very vague. But with mine I just do more dry strokes than normal until I don't see any more liquid coming up the tube. I would have to say the carpets dry pretty quickly. Do 3 rooms then hallway and stairs and by the time your done the first room is almost dry.

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
The guy on the rotovac website Cliff I guess, he does a poor job at showing exactly how to use it . He is very vague. But with mine I just do more dry strokes than normal until I don't see any more liquid coming up the tube. I would have to say the carpets dry pretty quickly. Do 3 rooms then hallway and stairs and by the time your done the first room is almost dry.

I think you said I was crazy for charging $20 room...I just seen an ad in my area for $12.95 room...I think when people see those cheap ads, then they expect cheap rates, then think we are crazy for charging $20+ room... I have my rates at $20 room, and the phone is not ringing...maybe they are calling the other guy for $12.95 room....even from all the positive feedback I see on rotovac, it makes no sense in spending yet another $2-3k if the phone is not ringing...

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Just think about one thing here. If the rotovac is so awesome, how come very few professionals use it? How many guys on this very board use rotarys compared to those that use a wand? Most of us use a wand. There has to be a reason for that and it's not because of money issues. IF you doubt that, then just look at Jason Whaley's fancy truck.

I look in my own local yellow pages and out of all the carpet cleaning companies in there, only one is Rotovac. We called him for a quote. He got all suspicious and told us "I think I'll pass".

Now for just my own personal opinion, rotarys overwet. You have too much water spinning around and focusing on one spot. The RX20 did it and so does the rotovac. They are also heavy and clunky carrying around, up and down stairs and through tight areas, they cost thousands more than a wand, they have the potential to break down too. The only time I ever had a problem with overwet carpets was when I was forced to use an RX20 by a previous employer. The place stunk three days later like a flood job and it took me almost a week to dry the place out with fans/dehu

If you want to buy a Rotovac then go for it, but think about getting good with a wand first.

dsimms

Jun 17, 2009
MN
Real Name
David Simms
Business Location
United States
Just think about one thing here. If the rotovac is so awesome, how come very few professionals use it? How many guys on this very board use rotarys compared to those that use a wand? Most of us use a wand. There has to be a reason for that and it's not because of money issues. IF you doubt that, then just look at Jason Whaley's fancy truck.

I look in my own local yellow pages and out of all the carpet cleaning companies in there, only one is Rotovac. We called him for a quote. He got all suspicious and told us "I think I'll pass".

Now for just my own personal opinion, rotarys overwet. You have too much water spinning around and focusing on one spot. The RX20 did it and so does the rotovac. They are also heavy and clunky carrying around, up and down stairs and through tight areas, they cost thousands more than a wand, they have the potential to break down too. The only time I ever had a problem with overwet carpets was when I was forced to use an RX20 by a previous employer. The place stunk three days later like a flood job and it took me almost a week to dry the place out with fans/dehu

If you want to buy a Rotovac then go for it, but think about getting good with a wand first.
its not about a good wand, its about having a good back to push a good wand...you make some good points...break down appears to be something you are trying to talk yourself out of...your machine can break down...does that mean you are not going to carpet clean because you fear it will break down?

as for the overwetting, have you ever thought about stop spraying water at some point and just let it extract? if you do not stop spraying with a wand, then you will over wet also...stop using water and extract the water...

so far, I am seeing more positives then negatives...

Pros - It works great - much better then the wand.

Cons - it can rip carpets. it is bulky, has wheels, but I am too lazy to pull it into the house or up the stairs, as you would have to do with any porty, or I had it for one day, and the machine man handled me, so I gave up using it because I was afraid of it...

Am I missing anything???

I also wonder why the entire industry does not use it also...maybe for the fact of the mentioned above, with a wand, you can
move a bit quicker, and be done, weather the carpet is totally clean or just so-so, oh well, off to the next job...the 360 will
slow you down a bit, the carpets will be cleaner then with a wand...but that does not matter, its the next job you are thinking about...
why be slowed down with a machine that is bulky, and can do a better clean job then a wand? it makes perfect sense why the
entire industry does not use it...no one wants to be slowed down with clean carpets, off to the next job with the wand...

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Am I missing anything???

I also wonder why the entire industry does not use it also...maybe for the fact of the mentioned above, with a wand, you can
move a bit quicker, and be done, weather the carpet is totally clean or just so-so, oh well, off to the next job...the 360 will
slow you down a bit, the carpets will be cleaner then with a wand...but that does not matter, its the next job you are thinking about...
why be slowed down with a machine that is bulky, and can do a better clean job then a wand? it makes perfect sense why the
entire industry does not use it...no one wants to be slowed down with clean carpets, off to the next job with the wand...
I think you are missing something. There are a lot of guys on this board that deserve your respect---They are not just moving on to the next job--as you say. They move on after the job is Done right.

You seem to be convinced that the rotovac is the way to go. I believe that you would be amazed what some of the gentlemen on this board can do with a "Wand." I have used a RV360 a bit and I believe they are a good machine. Would I put a newbie with a roto and porty up against most of the experienced guys here?
Probably not.

Good luck,
Rick

If you want some advice check the prices for used Rotovac double heads vs Roto 360. The 360 is much more sought after in the used market.

Double head used value aprox 700 rv 360 $1200-1400.

ACC

Feb 7, 2009
Tennessee
www.tncarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Shawn Giroux
Business Location
United States
Just for the record. I never said a regular wand wasnt a good cleaning tool or that anyone who doesnt use a Rotovac is not doing a good job.My opinion is simply, the Rotovac 360 is a good cleaning tool and works for me. And my back thanks me for it. :cool:

Latest posts