Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Ive used an RX. Excellent on CGD. Poor on residential
I own the 360i..
Horrible on CGD. Pretty damn good on residential. Very flimsy. Stupid low button tilt design. Retardly wide handle bars

I own the T-Rex and the Flexstar

Excellent on residential
Flexstar is excellent on CGD
Heavy means better agitation, better suction, faster cleaning, more thorough cleaning.

Unless a 360 was half the price as a T-Rex, I can't see a reason to buy one

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
I own the 360i..
Horrible on CGD. Pretty damn good on residential. Very flimsy. Stupid low button tilt design. Retardly wide handle bars

Excellent on residential
Heavy means better agitation, better suction, faster cleaning, more thorough cleaning.

Do you have the TREX or TrexJr?

WWW.FiveStar-Clean.Com

Sep 12, 2013
Real Name
Michael Olson
And you forgot about the swirl marks and not being able to get close to the wall. I'm not a rotary guy either. I prefer a CRB with all the brushes for different types of carpet. I have a 13'' 175 too but only use it on totally trashed apartments and commercial carpet. I do still have a old RX-20 with glides that I use sometimes on big open areas for commercial.

A CRB is a must have in my opinion for residential carpet cleaning.

What you don't RAKE your carpets ???? gets out swirl marks helps carpet dry faster. No splash and dash here I always rake and spray fabric softener ( final rinse)

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I find it entertaining if not fascinating to read so many opinions and angles of experience with different rotary extractors.
I can't imagine making an honest comparison in any post unless the one posting had used different machines long enough to really see just how one works compared to any other machine. 19 years using an RX-20 gave me a perspective baseline to compare the next machine I rented for about a week on a variety of carpet jobs (Hoss 700) Then purchased the power wand by Rotovac for lighter more agile movement, Then I got a 2nd generation 360i and thought I died and went to heaven for the ease of use and fluff factor at reviving matted traffic lanes and sofa lines. 4 years using my new labor saver I thought it couldn't get better however I missed the wider cleaning path my RX gave me and when the Rotovac 360 XL came out I tested it at The Ice show in Vegas two years ago and found it to blow away all the issues I had with my RX 20...(furniture scraping shoes, lighter overall weight especially with the Teflon glide head)

I found that over engineered doesn't mean better and since the T-Rex is an over engineered version of the RX-20 It's a no brainer to see how the 360 XL and new glide brush head for me eliminated the hazards of whacking furniture, baseboards and scraping tile or wood transitions next to carpet. It navigates way easier than any other machine especially the Hoss 700 which I literally had to drag cleaning passes through plusher carpets.

Many make the argument that a heavier machine would bear down on the carpet nap and thus get a better "Scrub" factor but the more I examined that argument I found that matting the yarn down only shut off the air flow that is needed to extract moisture and soils from the yarns.

It's easy to just say "I love my (name your machine) without explaining why and how you feel it's a better performer ie. easier to use better extraction, faster dry times, lighter, easier & cheaper to repair (or better yet.. more durable).

So here's the not so short list why I like, no love my 360XL:

1. lightest weight in it's class (diameter of cleaning path)The largest complaint about rotaries
2. Agile responsive movement on any carpet
3. flexible protective shroud keeps head from scratching or marring anything
4. lowest profile cleaning for close and under toekicks or even sofas, beds, etc.
5. Handle adjusts in 2 ways not just one (as with all the other machines)
6. Nearly impossible to damage any wood or tile transition with new glide brush head
7. Dryer deeper extraction than any other rotary (with Teflon glide / brush head)
8. Fewer moving/wearing parts to the working head

29 years in the business.... experience does count for more than something.

I pretty much agree with your post. Over all it's a good machine and does have some very good points that you've already mentioned. I've only used the RX-20 and the Rotovac XL. I have both the standard head and the brush head with teflon glides. It does do a good job, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the machine. It needs improvement. I'll go ahead and say this. Either someone will listen or they won't. I too, think the handle assembly is just a plain bad idea. Once you're set up and cleaning for the most part it's a non-issue UNLESS you need to get into a NARROW area. I also find the handle not really sturdy enough for the weight of the XL. To me it is noticeably flimsy. The next issue is the wheels. Don't like em and never wheel. I don't know if it's possible to upgrade them to a more substantial wheel. When moving this thing around or wheeling it up some stairs as opposed to carrying it I find these wheels a problem. I'm not making this post to criticize, but to be constructive. I think the machine has some flaws. Here is a pic I took recently when trying to hit the path off a bathroom with it. I ran into another situation just yesterday where those WIDE handles were a problem. I'm not here to tweak anyone's ego or deliberately hurt anyone either. Just trying to help. Btw, on that same job I mentioned having difficulty because of the too wide handles the brush head with teflon glides absolutely rocked on a trashed olefin berber. Made my job better, faster, and much easier. Customers were thrilled with the results. There was a severely soiled area on that carpet that was just stupid hard to clean. The brush head made it A LOT easier.
20161130_121006.jpg

Last edited:

BillyN

Dec 12, 2016
Bismarck, North Dakota
www.castlescleaningbismarck.com
Real Name
Billy Ness
Business Location
United States
I pretty much agree with your post. Over all it's a good machine and does have some very good points that you've already mentioned. I've only used the RX-20 and the Rotovac XL. I have both the standard head and the brush head with teflon glides. It does do a good job, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the machine. It needs improvement. I'll go ahead and say this. Either someone will listen or they won't. I too, think the handle assembly is just a plain bad idea. Once you're set up and cleaning for the most part it's a non-issue UNLESS you need to get into a NARROW area. I also find the handle not really sturdy enough for the weight of the XL. To me it is noticeably flimsy. The next issue is the wheels. Don't like em and never wheel. I don't know if it's possible to upgrade them to a more substantial wheel. When moving this thing around or wheeling it up some stairs as opposed to carrying it I find these wheels a problem. I'm not making this post to criticize, but to be constructive. I think the machine has some flaws. Here is a pic I took recently when trying to hit the path off a bathroom with it. I ran into another situation just yesterday where those WIDE handles were a problem. I'm not here to tweak anyone's ego or deliberately hurt anyone either. Just trying to help. Btw, on that same job I mentioned having difficulty because of the too wide handles the brush head with teflon glides absolutely rocked on a trashed olefin berber. Made my job better, faster, and much easier. Customers were thrilled with the results. There was a severely soiled area on that carpet that was just stupid hard to clean. The brush head made it A LOT easier.
View attachment 68623
Thank you very informative. Finally a post that doesnt sound like a rotovac commercial.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: aloha one

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Thank you very informative. Finally a post that doesnt sound like a rotovac commercial.

Thanks, just trying to be constructive. If we don't tell the truth nothing is ever gonna get improved. The RX-20 is built like a proverbial tank, but I would never buy another. The main problem with that machine is they don't think there is anything wrong with that uber expensive star head with incredibly expensive parts. If Hydramaster wants to stay competitive in the rotary industry I think they need to make at least another carpet cleaning head or 2 for that thing that could go right on their existing machine. Everything else about the RX-20 is darn near perfect accept for that semi-transparent vacuum hose from the base to the handle. You really can't tell how much you're recovering with that hose alone. You can always add a sight tube, but a machine that expensive needs one already on it. The star head is great in certain situations and just horrible in others.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We literally just finished making a video of rotary's for CGD. First off let me say any rotary is better than no rotary. To me a rotary does not replace a wand, rather it is a compliment of any cleaning equipment and or tools. Why?

I'm personally not a fan of rotary use all throughout a home or commercial establishment. I like to use it on heavy traffic patterns like halls, by transition's and any other heavily trafficked area. How do I go about doing this?

I like to go on and prespray with great product, (we use Preload5 on CGD) agitate and then cut with wand starting upstairs in homes and cleaner areas in commercial settings. Then I break out rotary and hit downstairs or bad traffic patterns with rotary. I will finish up with wand. Lately I like finishing with the Bonzer as it flushes and drys so well esp on CGD. So how did test go with all rotary's?

I have and use them all. Just don't like weight and bulkiness of others. But that's just me. The Rotovac 360i is a little small on CGD but great on berbers in a home at lower speed. The XL did skip but since I got the brush head with glides it works very good on CGD now. It can be a little torquey at start esp of the carpet is not damp enough. That's because the brushes are helping. That brings me to another thing we liked.

Without using the solution or vacuum hose you can pre-agitate the carpet with brush head therefore eliminating use of CRB which is great on residential cut pile but skims too CGD. Then you can set the XL to the side and go cut in cleaner areas with wand or Bonzer. When you get to heavy soil traffic patterns you hook up rotary and do a nice deep scrub. Follow up with wand or Bonzer and your done. Or just use Bonzer. Unless?

Unless you want to take it a step further and throw a bonnet under the XL as the brush heads shred it nicely. We like to post bonnet those heavily soiled traffic patterns that we just flushed. This removes last traces of soil and detergent. Even though we flush with Flex Ice. Also enables better dry times and appearance retention. Can this be done with other units?

Certainly. As effectively as as systematically as we do above? I doubt it. I like having one brand to work with esp when they originated rotary's, are the most versatile and very durable for their great weight points.

That's how I treat CGD when it calls for HWE. I really like doing VLM and the XL can do that also with the pad driver. So all in all I'm carrying the XL on all my trucks. I still have all the other rotary's in my shop and my techs are welcome to use them. And they have. Invariable they always come back to XL because the others maybe too bulky, heavy or lack versatility.

Lastly, I will repeat, everyone should own a rotary. But you need to find what fits your business model, your cleaning style and budget the best. Therefore you should try to test as many as possible rather than taking the latest hype road. As for us, the Rotovac XL fits us. Hope you find what fits you.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
I own the 360i..

Excellent on residential

Agree on the tilt and handlebar design. Drives me crazy.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
We literally just finished making a video of rotary's for CGD. First off let me say any rotary is better than no rotary. To me a rotary does not replace a wand, rather it is a compliment of any cleaning equipment and or tools. Why?

I'm personally not a fan of rotary use all throughout a home or commercial establishment. I like to use it on heavy traffic patterns like halls, by transition's and any other heavily trafficked area. How do I go about doing this?

I like to go on and prespray with great product, (we use Preload5 on CGD) agitate and then cut with wand starting upstairs in homes and cleaner areas in commercial settings. Then I break out rotary and hit downstairs or bad traffic patterns with rotary. I will finish up with wand. Lately I like finishing with the Bonzer as it flushes and drys so well esp on CGD. So how did test go with all rotary's?

I have and use them all. Just don't like weight and bulkiness of others. But that's just me. The Rotovac 360i is a little small on CGD but great on berbers in a home at lower speed. The XL did skip but since I got the brush head with glides it works very good on CGD now. It can be a little torquey at start esp of the carpet is not damp enough. That's because the brushes are helping. That brings me to another thing we liked.

Without using the solution or vacuum hose you can pre-agitate the carpet with brush head therefore eliminating use of CRB which is great on residential cut pile but skims too CGD. Then you can set the XL to the side and go cut in cleaner areas with wand or Bonzer. When you get to heavy soil traffic patterns you hook up rotary and do a nice deep scrub. Follow up with wand or Bonzer and your done. Or just use Bonzer. Unless?

Unless you want to take it a step further and throw a bonnet under the XL as the brush heads shred it nicely. We like to post bonnet those heavily soiled traffic patterns that we just flushed. This removes last traces of soil and detergent. Even though we flush with Flex Ice. Also enables better dry times and appearance retention. Can this be done with other units?

Certainly. As effectively as as systematically as we do above? I doubt it. I like having one brand to work with esp when they originated rotary's, are the most versatile and very durable for their great weight points.

That's how I treat CGD when it calls for HWE. I really like doing VLM and the XL can do that also with the pad driver. So all in all I'm carrying the XL on all my trucks. I still have all the other rotary's in my shop and my techs are welcome to use them. And they have. Invariable they always come back to XL because the others maybe too bulky, heavy or lack versatility.

Lastly, I will repeat, everyone should own a rotary. But you need to find what fits your business model, your cleaning style and budget the best. Therefore you should try to test as many as possible rather than taking the latest hype road. As for us, the Rotovac XL fits us. Hope you find what fits you.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Hi Rob, have you posted the video yet? I can't seem to find it. In your expert opinion will my Mytee LTD 12 Speedster have enough cfm (200) to handle a 360XL? Should I add an Air Hog (115 cfm) for additional cfm?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

P.S. I was going to get a T-Rex but changed my mind after seeing your post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
You still loving the Trex?

Mike Camacho aka Pro Steam is no longer on TMF. But I talk with him regularly. He still sues the Mytee Trex.

I too have had a RV 360i, RX 20, and both the Mytee T Rex and T Rex Jr. In my onion there is no comparison, I only run Mytee T Rex now and got rid of the other rotaries.

The T Rex is the best designed and most versatile of all the rotaries out there. Get the Flex Star head for CGD carpet. You all not regret it.

Reactions: J20770

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Im in palmdale, I met you at the show in Las Vegas. I have another business where I sell tools to many distributors across the country.
I just picked up a Mytee Trex, WOW. I love my Rotovac been going for 7 yrs but this is another level. They both have their pros and cons.

Cleaned my house yesterday in no time! Dried in 1-2 hrs. Granted wasn't that dirty but due for cleaning.

Rotovac:
Light Weight easier to get out the van and upstairs.
Speed control to get up to tile better
Collapsible handle
Easier to maneuver
Not as ruff on carpet
More nimble

Mytee Trex:
No speed control very dangerous getting up to tile and always on full blast (not a fan)
Harder to handle (maybe practice)
Leaves carpet drier
Faster cleaning
better water distribution IMO (less PSI)
Really uses and takes advantage of the power of my machine! 49hp 4cyl 59 blower

Can't wait to try it on a nasty carpet. I ran 400psi upstairs and dried fast, the worst was downstairs and ran it a 250PSI one pass cleaning. When I touched carpet I wasn't impressed with water felt on carpet as it felt just like the rotovac but as time went on I went an did a dry towel test after fifteen minutes and was surprised very little to no water transfer then 1 hr later it was dry to the touch and I realized it didn't leave so much water down below where the rotavac does which allows it to dry faster due to weight of machine. Cant wait to try it more...

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Mike Camacho aka Pro Steam is no longer on TMF. But I talk with him regularly. He still sues the Mytee Trex.

I too have had a RV 360i, RX 20, and both the Mytee T Rex and T Rex Jr. In my onion there is no comparison, I only run Mytee T Rex now and got rid of the other rotaries.

The T Rex is the best designed and most versatile of all the rotaries out there. Get the Flex Star head for CGD carpet. You all not regret it.
Ordered flexstar as well, cant wait to try it. RV sucked on CGD tried it 3 times worked once going really slow took to long when it did work

Reactions: Johnny Bravo